What pick(s) do you use?

• Thread starter BoredomKills
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
Jim Dunlap Nylon jazz picks (if the red ones are the nylon ones) I sometimes use the black ones I forgot what they are made of but they feel more solid/tough

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

quattro19tdi

Subcontrainfrasound
Reaction score
TortexTIII-alt-m6w2k.png

I like these picks, good grip and durable. I also like the sharp tip.

Athor

Reaction score
I mostly use my trusted Black Jazz 3's for solo stuff. Totex .88mm for heavier rythms. For acoustic or blues style things i use "alice" 0.46mm.

Rich5150

Reaction score
Anything that's in here
photo.jpg

Mainly been the 1.14mm tortex pitch blacks or 2mm gator grips of late

Natpairoj

Review at MGI Blog
Reaction score
Dunlop Jazz III for a long time before I lost it.
Now it use Jim Dunlop Stubby 2.0mm
fn_genthumb_size_crop.php

ihunda

Reaction score
Got some Jazz IIIs... really like them but they're so small. i might have try out the xl ones.

Same here, I tried a 2mm max grip, I may never come back to regular Jazz III. Also there's a new Petrucci line coming out, that may be my next pick from the looks of it.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I use the 1.5 mm Tortex sharps, but I modify them slightly as shown in the pic, because they're just a tad too pointy for me out-of-the-box.

I use one of the big emory boards--like the ladies use--and round the point slightly... so it's shaped more like a jazz pick. Been doing this for years. None of the "stock" Jazz picks feel right to me.

8037870973_c32fa39ea9_z.jpg

gandalf

Reaction score
I recently started to use the small stubby because I feel they slide really easy off the string which is really nice, especially for sweep picking

Maniacal

Reaction score
^ Good choice.

I had a pick dilemma recently and tried about 20 different picks. Max Grip Jazz IIIs are the way to go.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
I'm in limbo about my pick choice at the moment, but I just ordered some V-Picks, so we will see if that changes or not :)

Usually, a Dava Jazz pick, but I've been using sharps since I changed my picking style.

Reaction score
New here to SS, thought I'd join this discussion since I've been trying out different picks lately. I mainly play hard rock and metal type stuff with fast single-picked notes, I just can't do legato so fast picking is my way of compensating, having the right pick is a big part of my technique.

I've been really liking the Dava Jazz Grip (Delrin) picks, been using them the last year or two after switching from Jazz IIIs. Both give me fast articulation and don't have so much surface area to grab the strings with like regular picks (which generally end up feeling slower). I prefer the feel of the rubbery grip on the Davas so I stuck with them. Recently I tried their variety pack and found I liked the Rock Controls and regular-sized nylon Grip Tips as well. Both feel completely different but I seem to get good stability out of both.

My only gripe with Davas is they don't seem to last for me vs. how much they cost. I do have a weird technique where I rely on the edge of my picks, and once they wear and taper off that pick is done. Fast palm-muted chugging will wear down that pick in 3-4 hours, and at $7 for 6 that's some serious crack! I don't grip the picks too tight and don't dig in either. I have a set of Jazz Grips in nylon and gel on order but I doubt they'll wear any differently.

I recently bought a bunch of Ultex Sharps in various gauges to test their feel and wear. if this works out I'll have some Ultex Jazz IIIs ordered to compare. Strange that no one locally has them in stock.

ihunda

Reaction score
I'm in limbo about my pick choice at the moment, but I just ordered some V-Picks, so we will see if that changes or not :)

I bought a sampling pack of v-picks a few months ago, those are really unique picks but I can't help think that they are very much overhyped.

Way too expensive for something that I lose every over day.

Impact on tone wasn't that noticeable and I can get buckets of Jazz III for the price of that sampling pack :)

Latest posts

')