What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar7

Reaction score
:agreed:

Big Stubby 3mm = The best pick I've used to date, and my 33-year old ass has been playing a while. :lol:

234.jpg

I use also the Big Stubby 3mm :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzboy

Reaction score
I use these .63mm Clayton triangles, although I prefer 1.00mm, I have a shitload of the .63's, so I just use those. GC never seems to have the 1mm's.
I love the "grindy" sound they give you.

I also use the Eric Johnson Jazz III's because they are small, thick, sharp, and don't have the grindy sound. They sound a lot fatter.

The Tortex Jazz III's (1.14mm). The best of both worlds, basically. They have more of a grindy sound than the EJ's, but the sharp edge, fat sound, and thickness of the EJ's.

I used to be addicted to the Jazz III shape, but eventually weaned myself off of them and now don't have to rely on the Jazz III's to play more technical things, like I used to.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
well i had been using the XL Jazz III's and experimented with Ultex Sharps when just a few days ago i decided to break out some old picks i used to play. Enter the Snarling Dog's 1.00mm Brain Picks. for some reason they feel so good again... maybe cuz they're less heavy.. i dont even know if the guy makes them any more

etiam

Reaction score
Alright, I finally tried out these Jazz III that so many people are adulating over.

And they were good. They didn't immediately blow my mind, but they were good. I'm not sure whether I prefer them to the teardrop Dunlop Tortexes, though, which are a bit bigger and--critically--also brighter. What do folks think about these two versus each other?

metal_tones

Reaction score
I use these.:metal:

Attachments

• 41aEObpCaTL._SS400_.jpg
    41aEObpCaTL._SS400_.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 41LnIUlMpQL._SS400_.jpg
    41LnIUlMpQL._SS400_.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 4

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
I used to use the standard shaped, black Peavey 1mm picks for years, but picked up some of their jazz-shaped picks and am finding them quite comfortable.

248-9112_s.jpg

unitas

Reaction score
Alright, I finally tried out these Jazz III that so many people are adulating over.

And they were good. They didn't immediately blow my mind, but they were good. I'm not sure whether I prefer them to the teardrop Dunlop Tortexes, though, which are a bit bigger and--critically--also brighter. What do folks think about these two versus each other?

I gave my impression of the Jazz 3's here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-and-equipment/114781-which-plectrum.html#post1926343

I used the 1.14mm tortex picks for a long time, even the pointy ones. The jazz 3's seems to move over the string better for me, and because of the size I have to hold it close to the tip. (I'm used to the top edge of the pick resting against the second joint of my index finger, not on top of it, so just moving my grip closer to the tip where the edge is on top of the joint feels unsual to me.)

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
if ur into strumming chords then get a light to med gadge pick, if ur into fast solos and fast heavy rhythems use heavy and up

also if your a guitar player that likes to play on d standard or c standard tunning, get heavy gadged strings cuz light gadged ones will just keep detuning ( well not always but bepending on ur gear they usually do )

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex "The Wedge," either .88 or 1.00mm. Very much like the standard Tortex, but just a smidge pointier -- great for fast picking while still allowing you to strum chords and such.

alexmurphy

Banned
Reaction score
I like Jazz III picks, but they are slippery when you have a sweaty hand. However, dunlop makes a similar sized pick, called the "Tortex Pitch Black Jazz" and although its slightly thinner I have more control with it.

Also, I have recently gotten to know Dava Picks. They have some jazz styled picks with a rubber grip on them that i use. The downside is they are more flexible than some people might want, but it is hard to notice while playing unless you are seriously picky about your picks. but they are incredibly useful, because they will never fall out of your hand. Their actual name is "Dava Jazz Grips."

633683935054879453.jpg

I also have a few stainless steel guitar picks. on an electric guitar, especially when distortion is on, there is almost no difference in sound, but if you use one of these picks on an acoustic, that thing sings like an angel. Only downside to those is that they eat at your strings like none other, so i dont frequently use them. They are also hard to keep ahold of, especially if your hands are sweaty or you are in a generally moist enviornment.

IcePixStainlessSteelGuitarPicks3PackHeavy3Pack.jpg

Jango

Reaction score
Recently started using the Carbon FIber Jazz IIIs, with the max grip. Very awesome, though a touch floppier than i would love. Im thinking (if it could be made) a Jazz III shape with a stainless steel core and carbon fiber edges.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I've been using Ibanez Steve Vai pinks for years. I had some white and gold Steve Vais with the rubber grip wizard stuff on, but it comes off long before the pick is worn out.

I've tried loads of picks, including Tortex, stubbys, Jazz IIIs, Ibanez Paul Gilberts, Ibanez Joe Satrianis, drilled Ibanez hards etc, and I always came back to Steve Vai pinks. I will use them as long as they keep making them. At 1mm the thickness is perfect for me, and the material is stiff enough for fast picking, and at the same time forgiving enough to strum without it sounding harsh.

Also, they are a nice 80s pink colour!

AC00763.jpg

Latest posts

')