What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beneharris

Reaction score
i've really been digging the clayton black ravens lately. but with all the Jazz III users in here, i believe i'll order a few to try out

Reaction score
Its mad how the most inexpensive guitar tool is the one players are most
picky about (pun definitely intended). :lol:

im on the Jazz III train also but it took me about 7 years of switching from pick to pick, still sometimes i wonder is the jazz III still for me but i cant
hold regular sized picks anymore the feel giant like the grip end is floppin around, and anything thinner sounds too sharp.

I think once u try jazz III and how well they fit nothing else sounds quite the same!

hate stubbies its like pickin the strings with a bar of soap.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Right now I use Ultex Jazz III's...which I hated but now I love and everything everyone said about them was right but...

The coating on them wears out quickly and I have to change picks very fast. i can use them without the coating but I prefer more grip so I am going to try these out. Buy Dava Jazz Grips Pick 6 Pack | Flat Picks | Musician's Friend

Hopefully these pan out and I won't have to buy hundreds of picks a year.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Its tied between the Ultex Jazz III and the Carbon Fiber Jazz III. Both are great picks and I really can't choose a favorite

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
esp_07_reg_08_pick.jpg

and when I can't find them, Dunlop 0.88mm Tortex greens

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Max Grip Carbon Fiber Jazz 3's

this is more recent for me as i was using the tortex and tortex wedge picks for the longest time, i switched between these and the jazz 3's for a while during the summer and now i can't play the old pics, feels odd now, like the jazz 3 slowly took over and now i play better with it, and worse with bigger picks

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score
Switching off between the various flavors of the Max Grip Jazz IIIs and the Dava Jazz Grips.

Quinny

Reaction score
V-Pick Tradition, Diamond & Snake. Great picks!

epsylon

Reaction score
Wow, so many Jazz III users.
I use Jazz III (black maxgrips) too, but sometimes I try to switch to improve my picking (and practice different string attacks). I have tried big stubbies (which I've used for a while) and various other tortex. Recently I bought Dunlop Primetone picks, I like them quite a bit.

Reaction score
I use to use Dunlop 205s, they felt like a jazz III but a little more round.
Then I got a Brossard pick and I never looked back. I'll never be able to use a jazz III or any plastic pick again.

pac1085

Reaction score
DR GUITAR PICKS

Metal picks, I have all 4, the stainless one sucks (seems to 'catch' on the strings), copper is ok but not durable at all, my favorite is the Bronze, followed by the brass.

I do find my self going back to my black jazz 3's and ultex jazz 3's quite a bit though, and sometimes a green tortex .88 or a tortex jazz 3 1.14mm

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
I like the Dunlop Stubby... but red Jazz III's - trying them was a revelation for me.

Too many people underestimate the importance of picking the right plectrum (if you'll forgive the pun, which was unintentional!) for getting improved speed, accuracy and articulation.

')