What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I always wondered if those jellyfish pick where are great as advertised.
says it will make your guitar sound like a violin bow?

I Use the gray Jim Dunlop 88mm, i cant get as much control from a thick pick.

does anyone know when chris broderick's "pick clip" will be for sale? looked pretty neat

Mine just made my guitar sound like a guitar with something silly being used as the pick. :lol: I'm pretty sure you'd get the same effect by gluing a broken guitar string to the edge of your pick.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ColoSSuS

Reaction score
Mine just made my guitar sound like a guitar with something silly being used as the pick. :lol: I'm pretty sure you'd get the same effect by gluing a broken guitar string to the edge of your pick.

Ew.
I would say just buy a violin bow. But those things are EXPENSIVE. Damn this economy.
Oh and the names of these just crack me up:
1153350200_BIG_STUBBY_475_GRP_463X3.jpg

"Got a pick?"
"Here, use my big stubby."

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a violin bow, and an eBow. The violin bow is great. On electric guitar, just go with fiberglass. My bow is "brazilwood," but there are also pernambuco wood bows which cost a fortune.

I like my eBow, and I love sustainers and stuff like that. Any cheap appliance with an electric motor can usually be used for a similar effect, though.

The Jellyfish, IMO, is a rip-off. Maybe I just don't get it, but to me it is just a pick with some metal wires stuck to it- and that's what it sounds like. I got mine for free from a guy who was trying to push them when I worked at a music store.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I was making a pick order today and after talking to the guys over at InTune I wanted to post here for you guys cause a lot of you are trying to buy bulk and/or love Ultex Picks....

The Material is actually called Ultem, but InTune Guitar Picks has the Jazz III style ones in the material and he's debating getting them in for other styles plus if there's enough demand he is going to get the material in Black so you don't have to use the normal yellowish translucent color...(which will be good cause solid colors like black makes custom art look better)

He's got some new ones that address the issue some guys have where they love the point but want a bigger pic called the Xtra Jumbo Jazz
Jumbo%20Jazz%20Comparison%20sm.gif

Also he's going to have Full Color printing starting next month. :yesway:

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
I like the carbon fibre Jazz IIIs. Them, or the maxigrip ones, with the tyre tracks on the pick?
They're awesome, never slip no matter how sweaty I get, and they have the best percussive tone, imo.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Dunlup maxgrip .60mm and sharps, very good for articulate picking

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
why dont you all just put links for these special picks? sometimes its hard to find out , what exactly you are talking about.....

i demand a thread in which people list all picks that are about the same size and thickness like the jazz 3 dunlop picks.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
That's pretty sweet. I would get some custom picks from them to try, but I don't need 144.

Well when you look at the pricing it's cheaper then buying normal picks with the added bonus of custom art...and the other custom pick company charges the same price for 100 picks so I'd rather essentially get 44 free picks and keep a bunch in each guitar case along with my pocket. :yesway:

why dont you all just put links for these special picks? sometimes its hard to find out , what exactly you are talking about.....

i demand a thread in which people list all picks that are about the same size and thickness like the jazz 3 dunlop picks.
It's just the XJ's you can get the normal delrin, I like Ultem the best myself.
Custom Printed Guitar Picks Custom Shop

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been hooked on the Dunlop Eric Johnson Jazz III's for the past year and a half, otherwise I keep some of the Ultex Jazz III's around for backup.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Those giant Fender triangles, no idea the actual thickness, just that they're supposedly "heavy."

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
This thread is OLD.
I use a Dunlop Ultex Jazz III w/ 150 grit sandpaper hot-glued to each side about a centimeter above the tip of the pick.

Whitechapel7

Reaction score
i use Jim Dunlop 2mm, and i find them pretty good to use, especially with stuff like tremolo picking and pinch harmonics. and they are very tough and i have had two since may 2010, and i play pretty much everyday for 2-ish hours. hope its helps, and keep searching

')