What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eurolove

Reaction score
nylon jazz III the extra large one. love the shape, but they are a tad bit too thick, so i thin them down with some sandpaper and dull the point a tiny bit. Hey presto, its more grippy and the perfect pick for rhythm and lead :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steve1

Reaction score
jazz III or jazz III XL depending on what i find in my room first

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I still use the Wegen TF140 but now I also use the Dipper 1.4mm.

Made by Michel Wegen himself. They're also available in other shapes thicknesses, and in the color black.

PICWPTF14W.jpg

wgtf140b.jpg

1437-2T.jpg

BTW, these picks practically last forever. I've been playing for over half a year and practically no wear at all, at least none that's noticeable. They glide quite nicely over the strings making for a very fast pick too. :hbang:

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Jazz III XL, you have to have monumentally tiny hands to use the normal ones, they're so small my hand practically absorbs them

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Jim Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.5mm (the white/gray ones).

They feel great, very solid and the pick attack is excellent. Makes playing a lot easier having the big sharp point. It also lessens the likeyhood of the pick getting caught in the string whilst tremolo picking.

Speaking of which, there was a Guitar World interview with Jeff Loomis, where he stated he uses 2mm tortex sharps. Does anyone know where to get these?

ScornEmperor

Reaction score
Just this week I got in a package of Jazz III carbon fiber max grips. Prior to getting these I used the original Jazz IIIs. I think I'll be sticking to the max grips. They really live up to their name. The design is comfortable and the pick completely adheres to your fingers.

gregmarx7

Reaction score
I, too, use the carbon fiber Jazz III. Amazing picks, probably gonna stick with them for a while.

Reaction score
Sanded my dogs nail clipping into a pick (she grows talons- could hook salmon out of a stream) The flex was great, being natural cologen, but the curvature sucked. Fail, but had fun trying.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I've been using the black jazz 3 STIFFO picks for years now. Can anyone tell me if they are nylon or are they carbon fiber like the maxgrips? I can't find anywhere on the old half torn plastic where it distingishes the material used.

Reaction score
fender heavy celluloid- if you dont use those then fuck you. it starts and ends with fender heavy celluloid, unless i wake up w/hangover and am garbage- then the jazz3 pussy shit.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I was making a pick order today and after talking to the guys over at InTune I wanted to post here for you guys cause a lot of you are trying to buy bulk and/or love Ultex Picks....

The Material is actually called Ultem, but InTune Guitar Picks has the Jazz III style ones in the material and he's debating getting them in for other styles plus if there's enough demand he is going to get the material in Black so you don't have to use the normal yellowish translucent color...(which will be good cause solid colors like black makes custom art look better)

He's got some new ones that address the issue some guys have where they love the point but want a bigger pic called the Xtra Jumbo Jazz
Jumbo%20Jazz%20Comparison%20sm.gif

Also he's going to have Full Color printing starting next month. :yesway:

I just got a gross of the jumbo jazzes with my band's logo on them. Their comparable to Dunlop green .88. Personally I can't play them, but my singer (who plays guitar) and my bassist seem to like them alot, and its cool to have picks with your bands' name of them. I'm going to see if they have an ultex in the jumbo jazz size, that might work.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I've never found a fender product worth owning. Even their picks suck. They completly ruined Jackson when they took over. I do agree Jackson and Fender both still produce fine models here and abroad. But in my mind a company who produces so many JUNKY models should be judged and ultimately supported as such. Thats why I support brands like MESA and GUERILLA GUITARS. Those guys don't fool around man.

Reaction score
Ultex Jazz III's all the way, last forever and are tonally brilliant

For the record, once Fender bought Jackson, Mike Shannon (one of the original Jackson San Dimas Custom Shop masters) as well as a few other key players, happened to be working in the Fender custom shop and were relocated to Jackson. So if you order a high end Jackson now, even though it's owned by Fender, it's being built the right (arguably best) people for the job. Just because they are owned by a major corporation, doesn't mean the nice ones are being pumped out of the Squire factory.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Since I love Wegens so much so let me show all of you his Jazz IIIs.
bigcitypicks.jpg

The material he uses has got to be the fastest stuff ever. :shred: IMHO, way better than those scratchy V-Picks. Plus, these last a very long time. I'm talking 3 years at absolute minimum. You'd have to have barbed wire for strings to tear these up before then, UNLESS! you do a bunch of string scrapes because you don't want to put notches in the speed bevels. I would use a different pick for things like that.

I also don't recommend them if you lose picks a lot 'cause these cost $20 for a pack of 4 ($5 each). When I put that kind of money into something I generally make sure you keep up with it though. I loves me the Wegens.:wub:

')