What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I'm currently going back and forth between the carbon fiber jazz 3s and the new Hetfield signature Black Fangs

Randomist

Reaction score
I've always used JD nylons. I got a load free when I first started playing, and by the time i got through that lot of 0.73 picks I was used to them. I went up to 1mm over time but have used little else.
I did try a teckpick at one point, but it felt wrong to me.
Recently I've looked at my picking technique as an area to focus on and improve, so I thought why not try some new picks.
2011-06-15_11-47-06_872.jpg

still forming opinions on these.

Also noticed that Ibanez do a Paul Gilbert pick... 1mm thick possibly nylon. This amused me since Paul (probably my favourite guitarist) uses standard 0.6mm tortex picks.

Mn3mic

Reaction score
29514870-260x260-0-0_Dunlop+Dunlop+418P+Tortex+1+14+Purple+Picks+12+Pac.jpg

Been using these babies and can't get away from them...

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Paul Gilbert Ibanez picks. Perfect shape and size.

I like those a lot, too, the only downside IMO is that they don't last very long, for me it's usually 1-2 weeks max. And the are relatively expensive compared to my other favorite pick Dunlop Tortex jazzIII.

How long do the Paul Gilbert Ibanez picks last you?

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I've gone back to Jazz III's. The Carbon Max Grip Jazz III's :scream:

After all those picks I bought and liked, I end up back where I started. Same with my gear choices as I'm back to a combo, a few pedals and a couple of good guitars. FML :lol:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I am always interesting in new picks and I keep trying different ones, just got one of those Red Bear lil Jazzer picks, and I must admit it IS a great pick, unfortunately I ordered the 2mm version of it, and I realize now that that is maybe a tad too thick, I should have gotten a 1.5mm one instead.
So, bottom line: with all the different picks I try, I keep coming back to the Dunlop Tortex Jazz III 1.14mm, love those picks:

36657d1182479872-your-favorite-guitar-pick-367393.jpg

300553589546_0.jpg

As far as I can tell, these two picks are technically the same thing, only difference being the color.
Anyway, GREAT picks !!!:yesway:

Reaction score
I use these now
http://www.suncreekmusic.com/images/cla-ust80.jpg
But in 1.07 mm.
They're amazing. I used to use Dunlop 205s for a while. The fact they were really sturdy gave me a nice strong attack but they weren't very articulate.
The Ultems are incredible though, they don't flex like a normal medium or thin pick would, so they have plenty of power and are very snappy so I can really go for that whip like Paul Gilbert sound and still really chug down on the strings if I want to. They're the most responsive pick I've ever used, you can get anything you want out of them:shred:

SettleMoore

Reaction score
Dunlop Ultex, and Tortex sharpies, both 1.14mm, both are amazing, while I like the ultex more. Going back to normal picks after using these just isn't logical.

')