What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
with all the different picks I try, I keep coming back to the Dunlop Tortex Jazz III 1.14mm, love those picks:

36657d1182479872-your-favorite-guitar-pick-367393.jpg

300553589546_0.jpg

Anyway, GREAT picks !!!:yesway:

Me too! After 9 months of forcing myself to use the Black Stiffo Jazz IIIs, then 6 months of the Ultex Jazz IIIs, and about 2 weeks of the Big Stubbys, I just keep going back to the H3 (Tortex Jazz III 1.14mm). They slay. :hbang::shred:
And they're Purple. :cool:

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
After all the picks I tried and used, including Big Stubs and the smaller ones, Ibanez PG and Steve Vai's, Jazz III normal ones, Ultems, those with grips, Dunlop Tortex, Dunlop sharp picks...

I ended up picking with the Jazz III XL... Better contol = Better picking articulation, also more comfort = Less pain = Better picking (Though the only problem I have for now is my picking arm gets pain after playing for some time) Hard to go back to the others after using those picks. Use them for lead, hybrid picking, pick tap and even strumming, but I should also say that I'm a hard picker so my picks don't last long (usually a week or 2), I'm learning to pick softer and more relaxed though...

Haven't tried the Clayton and the PlanetWaves picks however, will find them someday :agreed:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Added the Red Big Stubby 1.0 to my arsenal of 2.0s. A bit hard to get used to the thinner picks, funny how some of my friends call them "glass cubes". :lol:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Me too! After 9 months of forcing myself to use the Black Stiffo Jazz IIIs, then 6 months of the Ultex Jazz IIIs, and about 2 weeks of the Big Stubbys, I just keep going back to the H3 (Tortex Jazz III 1.14mm). They slay. :hbang::shred:
And they're Purple. :cool:

Have you noticed any differences between the pitch black tortex jazzIII1.14mm and the Tortex H3 (purple one)?

JCD

Cody
Reaction score
I've been really happy after switching from red/black Jazz III's to the Ultex Jazz III's. Feels like picking with glass. Really fast/smooth release.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i've recently gone back to the yellow tortex picks. no matter what other picks i try--sometimes for years--i always seem to come back to the yellow tortex.

Augury

f*ckin bow down!
Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm and 1.00mm, Planet Waves Joe Satriani Medium, Dunlop Hetfield 1.14mm and 0.94mm. Depends on what i actually find in my room :D

JCD

Cody
Reaction score
I heard the James Hetfield picks are quite awesome. Suppose to be similar to Jazz III but have a brighter pick attack or something?

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I heard the James Hetfield picks are quite awesome. Suppose to be similar to Jazz III but have a brighter pick attack or something?

I'm using the 1.14 Hetfields now. I was using the Carbon Fiber Jazz 3s before. The attack is pretty close. The carbon fibers stick in the hand better than any other pick I've ever used. I mainly switched because the smaller, jazz 3 size wasn't totally working for me. I wish they made Carbon Fiber picks in the shape of the Black Fang and T3s.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Yea, I'm not a fan of their attack or the way they wear down (the 2mm's that is).

Curious to know if the 2.0/blacks are different from the normal yellowish ones than.. I only used the yellow colored ones because some Petrucci Fanboy gave me a few to try..I liked the attack a lot more than normal Jazz III's and they last a lot longer as well.... The way you described the black ones sounds total opposite :scratch:

Anyway I still use IntuneGP's Xjj (it's essentially just a bigger Jazz III)
I'm waiting for him to start doing these in Ultem but right now their focus is all on getting their Full Color Custom Printing up to their high standards. :metal:

Jumbo%20Jazz%20Comparison%20Product.gif
Jumbo%20Jazz.gif

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
Dunlop 205s, Jazz III's (black mostly), Stubbies.

V Picks, Dimension Junior Buffed, Small Pointed, etc. Actually, I use a lot of different V-Picks.

Plus the Insanity(11.85mm):

guitareben

Reaction score
Dunlop tortex 1.14 mm luv em, but might go and try out some of those jazz picks ^^

I want red bear picks though :eek: But $$$$

')