What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JCD

Cody
Reaction score
I really wanna try Red Bear picks but they cost a lot and I'm afraid I'll go crazy if I accidentally break it or mess it up by sweating too much and not following all the maintenance tips haha.

edsped

Reaction score
img20110827204916.jpg

I've been using the 1.14 Ultex Sharps for a year or something and kept coming back to those. Recently I've been gravitating more towards jazz shaped picks and switching between regular Jazz IIIs, Ultex Sharp 1mm, those Clayton Spike 0.80mm, and those medium Ibanez Rubber Grip Wizards.

But I just got some Ultex Jazz III 2.0s yesterday and am loving them (very surprising considering I don't like the regular Ultex Jazz IIIs).

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
Jazz III carbon fiber. Tried all the flavors of Jazz IIIs and I like these the best.

I was on Dunlop Toltex Jazz Heavy for years and years, but left them behind for Jazz III carbon fiber.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I find it odd, i play alot of metal and punk. So i play alot of fast stuff, but i use Dunlop Standard Nylon .88 and 1mm gauge picks. and i often play on either 9 or 10 gague strings and i still play fast and clear.

hoggard

Reaction score
I always felt like I was going to drop them. Before I used Jazz III's, I used Snarling Dogs Brain Picks that were 1.14mm, but the non-sharp tip felt like it was slowing me down,and pinch harmonics were a bit more difficult. However, I prefer the sound of a nylon pick to any other material, so that's a bit of a problem, here.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
Moved from Ultex Jazz IIIs to Carbon Fibre Max Grip J3s... The ultex ones wore down too quickly, and the cf ones give a really nice attack.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I think I've finally settled on the Jazz III ultexes and tortexes. They just feel the best to me. I use the black or red nylon Jazz IIIs if I can't find one of the aforementioned picks, though.

broj15

Reaction score
Jim dunlop big stubby, 1mm. I started using them when i started playing bass. The bevelled edges make it easier to play triplets. I decided they work good for guitar so they are all i use.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I've just swapped to Dunlop Tortex Sharps in .88mm, which feel great.

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
Another in the Jazz III camp. Used Tortex 1.14 mm for the longest time, switched to the Jazz III this year. Couldn't believe how much cleaner I could play my runs. Now I try and play the standard sized pick and it feels like I'm holding a huge chunk of plastic. Kerazah.

')