What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
Lotsa Jazz III love in this thread :wub:

Brand - Dunlop
Model - Black Jazz III
Style - I use it for absolutely everything, but I mostly play post/prog rock/metal
What it is good at - Being small and staying out of the way, durable, and I just like the way the point feels on the strings. Sound isn't too sharp but it isn't to soft and marshmellowy.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Brand - Dunlop
Model - Tortex Sharp 1.0 mm
Style - Progressive Metal
What it's good at - Pretty much everything for me. I've noticed that it really goes with what's best you individually. A lot of people that I know seem incapable of playing with a pick bigger than .88 mm without hammering away on the strings and wonder how I can do it, and I just use dynamics and pick/strum softly instead of hammering away. The sharp part also makes it a tad easier to sweep and trem pick during faster sections as well, and Tortexes are extremely easy to grip on, though they do tend to get a bit slippery after a short while.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
The thread that wouldn't die? :)

Dunlop Jazz III XL
Dunlop Jazztone 208
Red Bear Lil Jazzer until it died. Oh woe is me indeed!
Fancy checking out the new JP signatures from Dunlop, and I may even drift back to the metal teckpicks I used to use for slower passages.

Work in progress.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
V-picks
Pearly Gates Screamer
Band plays stoner rock/metal/post-rock. I play everything except country at home.
It's a comfy pick to hold, and totally rigid - which puts all the control over picking dynamics into your hand.

It slides over the strings beautifully, has a nice bevel for tremolo picking and more importantly sounds really nice. Doesn't really suffer from the "chirp" sound that some people object to in thicker picks.

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
Dunlop
Black and Red Max grip Jazz III's
Play abit of everything, so I'm just going to say Prog...
It's Jesus in pickform.

No joke.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been jumping around on all the Jazz III shapes I can get my hands on. I play everything from jazz and metal to prog. But I focus on prog and jazz, I guess. Out of the ones I've tried, these are the 3 that I like most. I haven't yet tried anything not Dunlop. In no specific order:

Jazz III Ultex:
I like their feel and tone, mainly. They seem to be a tad tighter for rhythm lines on guitar. The salient letters on the pick give it a nice grip. They're very durable as well.

Stubby 2.0mm and 3.0mm:
These took me some time to get used to, due to them being so extremely slippery. The 2.0mm ones I feel deliver a much sharper tone, great for tight rhythm guitar. The 3.0mm one I use mainly for jazz and lead lines, due to it having a much smoother sound, and the rounded tip makes them glide over the strings effortlessly. But they're good for everything, really. Also, the 3.0mm makes my hand more relaxed. I have a tendency to tightly grip the pick with my index and thumb fingers, which ends up tiring me out. The thicker picks make me more conscious not to grip so hard, and loosen my hand a little. The downside is that they won't last more than a couple weeks if you use them constantly. Specially the 2mm ones.

Jazztone 206:
I use this one almost exclusively for jazz. The tone is absolutely superb and super smooth. The surface has an excellent grip, and the rounded tip makes it slide over the strings beautifully. The teardrop shape, to me at least, is mainly for the mojo factor :lol:. It bothers me a little for really fast licks. But, then again, I'm not very good at playing jazz, so it's not an issue yet :lol:.

I'm a growing fan of the Maxgrips. I find the gripping surface to be a tad harsh on my fingers, but I like the fact that their edges are a bit rounded. Also, I'm really eager to try out the Ultex 2.0 and the Jazztone 208 and 205.

powergroover

monster death chunk
Reaction score
been switching to ultex sharp 1.14 recently
but, at the same time, i haven't played guitar at all for the past few months :rofl:

my highest mileage is with dunlop gels xh (the yellow one) i love that pick, i still have tons of those, i guess enough for a lifetime supply :rofl:

that being said

Brand - Dunlop
Model - gel xh
Style - generic metalcore
What it's good at - actually it doesn't even need to be good as im not much of a player :lol: but i like it because it sticks well to my finger (not many picks can do this because i sadly have an abnormal/damaged thumb skin) and feels slippery on the strings, with enough attack

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ I tried using thumbpicks for a long time. I even made my own thumbpicks by gluing regular picks to different materials wrapped around my neck. It felt fucking weird to play with them, but it did help my technique in some aspects. I especially liked the freedom of being able to switch from classical 4-finger picking to speed picking 100% effortlessly; but it still felt weird, and I couldn't adapt. I could use regular thumbpicks, but the strings keep getting stuck between the ring and my finger... So I gave up on them for now.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
^These thumbpicks are amazing! They're shaped like regular picks so they attack much like normal picks. I tried making my own thumbpicks but they felt 'heavy' and I felt that I had control issues with them. However, the Herco picks feel really nice! I have more control and it does help with my strum technique. I highly recommend them!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Hhhmmm... Seems I'm gonna have to try those at some point! Thanks!

4Eyes

Reaction score
I have just fall in love with

BLACKFANG_2.jpg

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I just went back to using the black jazzIII nylons after using the tortex jazzIIIs, and I can't seem to decide which works better for me.

mike0

Reaction score
i went from regular tortex mediums to tortex jazz's. not sure what size the jazz picks are, but i dabble in the green and purple, so on the thicker side. i have to say, i can't seem to bond with regular picks anymore

')