What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DemiseJosh

D34TH M3T4L
Reaction score
+1 for Jim Dunlop Jazz III!!!

This is by far the best pick and you'll get used to it. Once you use them everything else will seem huge and not as precise. A jazz 3 will help you play more precise and they are great picks! Once I started using them I never go back to anything else.

One drawback to the jazz IIIs is if your in a metal band and playing shows they can get a bit slippery with the right amount of sweat LOL but this hasn't affected my love for the picks and they are the best in my opinion.

But definatly give them a try

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
The the InTune Guitar Picks version of the Jazz III's most people seem to like them better and they're less prone to slip.....plus they're cheaper.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
How long have you been using those?
They have caught my interest as of late.

Damn, I didn't even noticed you replied after all those months. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: Sorry dude. :ugh:

I started using them about mid late 2000 (damn that was 9 years ago) after graduating from the purple Tortex ones. Both similar size, but I kept dropping them and losing them, so the Big Stubbies were the next choice and haven't looked back.

Bungle

Sir Roger Moore, KBE
Reaction score
Dunlop Gator 1.14mm
gator.jpg

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Slight necro bump but its not worth starting a new thread just to say I stumbled across a website selling some picks I used to use:

Dugain picks & slides - the ultimate guitar plectrum in horn, bone, ebony, agate and many more natural materials.

Most of the time I used the ubiquitous Jazz III but for slower pieces (and more especially pieces played using simple amp tones rather than masses of boost/EQ) I really liked to use Bone - the tone was just so wonderfully articulate and warm at the same time :)

/rosetintedglasses

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I just got some Ultex Jazz III's
487057.jpg

and some of these
591615.jpg

to try.

I like trying different picks from time to time. But I usually keep coming back to the Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks.:yesway:

Reaction score
Never seen the ultex jazz III's before, what are they like to play with?

I tend to use the Red or black original jazz III's. I've also used the tortex Jazz III's as well after playing with one I had off one of the guitarists from Parkway Drive.

If your not used to small picks, I suggest using Jim Dunlop Tortex picks, find the right thickness that your comfortable with and see if it effects your playing positively.
Try out different picks, not exactly like there's a lack of them out there =]

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Ultex is very stiff and very very dense, and it has this texture to it that makes it extremely easy to grip which is a blessing for people with sweaty hands.

Its also smoother than the other picks when plucking strings.

Haunted Cereal

I am Sammy Jankis
Reaction score
Lately i've been bouncing between dunlop primetones and tortex sharps in a 1.35(black). The primetones are very neat, they have a nice deep grip in the middle and they don't get slick with sweat. Besides that, they have a very deep bassy tone to them with very clear crystalline highs. Maybe too brittle of a sound for some but anyone who's used ultex extensively might find a bit of relief. They only come in 3.0 and 5.0 though so not for the squeamish. I ordered both on a whim and the 5's are pretty useless imo, they barely fit between the strings. I'm sure somebody might get really into it though. I also just got turned onto V picks. Guitar Picks, Mandolin Picks, and Bass Picks by V-Picks. The Best Picks Available Today. Interesting stuff, pretty expensive though...

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I use mandolin picks from Gibson, the heavy variety.
Either that, or standard Dunlop .88 or .96, or something similar to that.

TomasO

Reaction score
Dunlop Ultex or Tortex 1.15 though I think im gonna try the jazz IIIs first chance after seeing all these positive comments on them

Looneygah1

Reaction score
moz-screenshot.jpg
http://www.elderly.com/images/accessories/PK/PK412-114.jpg

Definately Tortex Sharps! :hbang:

')