What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have been trying the Jazz III Ultex for a while now, and I really like those. They seem to wear down faster than the regular black Jazz III's (the Ultex last me about 1-2 weeks until I take a new one whereas the black Jazz III's last me about a month).
What I noticed it that the Ultex seems to feel and sound right to me right out of the package, I don't need to 'break them in', with the black Jazz III's it usually takes me a few days of breaking-in until it feels right.

Another pick I really like is the Tortex Jazz III, they seem to last me forever and like the Ultex they also don't need a break-in with me, but they are not quite as thick as the Ultex.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
Depends on the music style I play.
I bounce between Black Jazz III's and Nylon .88/1.0mm

Santuzzo

Reaction score
After trying the Ultex and Tortex Jazz III's for a while I again went back to (my apparently all time favorite pick) Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks.
I keep switching back and forth between these and the Jazz III's.

The only negative thing about the Gilbert picks is that they wear down pretty fast, one pick usually lasts me no longer than 2 weeks.

mrhankey87

Banned
Reaction score
ultex jazz III, but I'm waiting for the carbon fiber max grip jazz III.

AEQUITAS7

Earning Respect
Reaction score
green Dava picks

DAVA PICK ONLINE

for some reason i CANNOT play right without them. i can't hit my pinched harmonics either. i can deal with those generic "slick" feeling picks they hand you at guitar center, but nothing else i have tried feels right.

i will try a jazz III tho.

I'm always looking for new picks to play with, and because of it I now have a massive pick collection. The DAVA is one I'm not familiar with, so now I must try it.:agreed: Oddly enough, out of all the great picks I have played with, I always find myself using the Clayton .80mm A pretty random choice, but it suits me well.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I've tried davas, they're quite nice but they might screw you up when you go back to normal picks. :lol: that being said, they play and grip fantastically.

Jazz IIIs are really nice too, but a little small for my taste, they tend to slip in my hand.

I use Tortex .88mm.

Paul Gilbert uses .60, Malmsteen uses 1.5, so really, it truly comes down to preference, use whatever YOU like and you'll sound great. :)

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
I, like most people in this thread, use Jazz III's exclusively or damn near exclusively. My old guitar player gave me some when I was first learning guitar (I was a fingerstyle bass player for about 4 years before I started guitar) and they playing a lot easier than the .88 Dunlops I was using at the time.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
the black Jazz III but I might switch to big stubbies. Are they any good for playing fast shreddy stuff?

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Dunlop Pitch Black Jazz .88. Has the shape of the Jazz III and the thickness of the old Dunlop greens. perfect compromise IMHO.

SjPedro

Reaction score
I actually change things around depending on my mood. Love the Jazz III's they are just awesome guitar picks.
Lately I have been using Dunlop Stubby 2.0mm i find them great and easier to do pinch harmonics and stuff like that.
When I just want to slash some power chords like a maniac I love the Dava Nickel Plated picks. sure they are a lot bigger than what I usually use but as I said depends on my particular mood on that particular day.

')