What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
I went from Dunlop Tortex .88mm to Dunlop Gators to Tortex Jazz to Ibanez Steve Vai 1mm back to standard Tortex .88mm.

The Jazz picks increased accuracy for single string picking, but I just didn't like how they felt for chords.

The Steve Vai picks were great as they were the size of standard Tortex with a sharper point. I found that 1mm is too thick and unforgiving. That, with such a sharp point required tremendous accuracy.

The gators were great. They were a little smaller than the Tortex standard, but the material they're made out of falls apart after 10 minutes of playing.

Tortex standards are so popular for a reason. They're durable and the slightly rounded tip is forgiving.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SjPedro

Reaction score
now that you mentioned the rounded tip I noticed that the Dava picks have an average life spam of about 2-3 months playing about 2-3 hours a day. the tip starts to get rounder and rounder to the point where your accuracy decreases dramatically and the pick itself sounds awful on the strings

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Dunlop 1.14mm. Sometimes I go to a 2.0mm, depends on my mood.

Used Jazz III's for a bit. Couldn't seem to get used to them. I keep going back to them every couple weeks, but always revert back to the purple turtles.

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
Dunlop Ultex "Rhinos" (As i affectionately call them) in 1.0's. The ones with the picture of the Rhino on them. I use both the regular ones and the Triangular shaped ones. I've been using them for years and years and years. I use them till the tips just begin to wear then throw them in a jar full of 100's of other used "Rhino"s, i'm wasteful like that! Dunlops rule though.

These guys:
DUNLOP+ULTEX+73.JPG

And my god Darren... .56mm? Man thats thin.

+1 for moi. With a twist - I don't use the point of a pick, I use one of the rounded corners of the pick instead. My uncle (Guitar Generation #2 in my family) told me about picking with the rounded corner about 30 years ago. I find that I get better picking control when I use the rounded corner. There are some noted guitarists who pick the same way - the one who immediately comes to mind, is Pat Metheney.

SjPedro

Reaction score
how do you do that? you got me thinking now..Could you post a picture of your hand holding the pick like that? Kinda curious

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
I use tortex or gators ranging from .88 to 2mm but i 'score' my picks with a craft knife so they dont slip out of my hand so easy during a live show =)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Dunlop black/ultex/pitch black Jazz III's and Planet Waves Black Ice. Yes, I am a fan of Jazz III shaped picks. Thanks for asking. :D

EDIT: I'm still messing around with the Dunlop's. I like all three for different reasons [hell, I use the red nylon ones too, so I'm hooked], but I prefer the pitch black's most atm, with the Ultex and Black graphite infused nylon ones following. Also, I'm not sure what I prefer between the pitch black and the black ice, but as far as new goes, the Black Ice are just as their name says. They don't seem to have as much friction between the string and pick like the others do. As for the Ultex, I thought it felt kinda like picking with a piece of metal or something, because it's a really hard pick. The rhino on the regular ultex picks is a great depiction of the feel, I think. Don't let that deture you from trying them though, as I didn't hate the picks at all. I think that if they were coated with whatever the Black Ice's were, they might be a really good pick. They didn't resist like some picks do, particularly bigger, standard sized picks, which was awesome for faster parts and harmonics.

I tried the 6 pack assorted Dava Control picks [which are about the size and point of a Jazz III XL], and the red Dava Jazz picks [size/shape of a reg. Jazz III]. I didn't really care for them much at first, though I liked the control picks for strumming and arpeggiating, on either clean or electric, as well as liking the Jazz for single note metal riffs, such as trem picking and other stuff Chuck Schuldiner would've been interested in. Getting used to the rubber grip a little more [and the size of the Control picks], I like them more than I did. You gotta be careful not to hit the strings with the rubber grip or it'll sound bleeeaaahhh! Once you get past that, though, they are pretty awesome. Might not get used as much as the Dunlop's or PW's, I just got these picks, but still worth checking out and having in the collection.

All together, it was 40 bucks well spent and a fun venture. Plus I have a bunch of picks for variety, as opposed to the 5 I had prior. Sorry for the pick review, just thought I'd share my opinions.

Well, sort of, yes, but they are a bit bigger. What I like about them is they are slightly bigger than a Jazz III but smaller than a regular size pick.
B1000PGBK.jpg

:scratch: :rolleyes:

Ibanez, shame on you. Ibanez rebranded these with Paul's name on them, from picks they already used to make. Lmfao, hope they don't charge too much more for them.

I went from Dunlop Tortex .88mm to Dunlop Gators to Tortex Jazz to Ibanez Steve Vai 1mm back to standard Tortex .88mm.

The Jazz picks increased accuracy for single string picking, but I just didn't like how they felt for chords. Tortex standards are so popular for a reason. They're durable and the slightly rounded tip is forgiving.

I'd like to suggest checking out the Dunlop Pitch Black [tortex] and Ultex versions of the Jazz III, and Planet Waves Black Ice. You seem to be a big fan of the Tortex, and it might be worth checking out. Also, over time, the tip rounds out a little bit, but not as much as a standard tortex. For those that dislike the Jazz III nylons because of tone on the chording side of things, both the Ultex and Pitch Black improved in those areas. Not sure if they come in various gauges like the tortex's, but the Planet Waves do.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
I used to use Jazz III's but am now endorsed by Awe-in-One. Their profound series feels similar to a Jazz III but has better control and grip. Check em out. I can't use a Jazz III anymore, the Awe-in-ones are amazing.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Jazz III's Once you get used to them, its so hard going back haha.

Love em!

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Stubbies are very good all around picks, might slip out of your hand though. If you're a sweaty player I don't know whether to recommend, I sure am :lol:

I like the Dava ones a LOT, but they..almost 'muffle' the tone for me in a sense, I don't know how to explain it.

I've switched from tortex .88's to Jazz IIIs and I don't think I'm going back, love the control, ease of picking and versatility. Not too thick, not too thin

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
guitar-pick2.jpg

Titanium. Many years back I remember reading that Justin Broadrick used a metal pick so, worshiping Godflesh, I picked up a brass Cymbolics pick. Used it for a while but eventually went back to Dunlop .73's because it never felt right. Then I discovered titanium picks and fell in love. Titanium is so light that it doesn't feel like you would think it does. Much more comfortable than the brass picks were. Playing unplugged, you hear a bit more pick attack, but it doesn't all come through the pickups. It's stiff like a really thick pick, but thinner and lighter. Great for fast alternate picking and sweeps. For black metal style tremelo picking, especially diads and chords, I still go back to the Dunlop .73's though since the titanium picks feel like they're going to rip the strings off the guitar.

They do kind of shred the coating on Elixir nanoweb strings though, so I go through those a bit faster than with plastic picks.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
1153350200_BIG_STUBBY_475_GRP_463X342.jpg

i've recently begun using the dunlop big stubby (the blue one in specific) and i'm liking it a lot.
mellower attack with a strong sustain. nice, thick tones.

:agreed:

Big Stubby 3mm = The best pick I've used to date, and my 33-year old ass has been playing a while. :lol:

234.jpg

')