What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Hm, negative rep because I said that Ibanez rebranded picks they already used to make with Paul's name on them to sell more? Kinda sad to say the least.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'm stuck away from home with my YJM strat and all I've got to use is a Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm.

Now I remember why I use Ibanez Steve Vais. The Bevelled edge on this thing is horrendous, the pick slips against the edge of the string, slowing the attack down rather than getting a crisp note out immediately. It's not really noticeable until I try to take it up a gear and start hearing missed notes because the pick doesnt attack the strings the way the Vai picks do.

Infuriating, I can't wait to get my hands on my regular picks again!

E Lucevan Le Stelle

in love with Judas
Reaction score
3mm Big Stubby.

Tried everything under the sun, that works best for me. I pick so hard anyway that others don't last me that long :lol:

Voodoo Turkey

Reaction score
I use the Dunlop Jazz III XL's - only been using them since this January but they are a great pick for lead playing. I play mostly power metal and they took me a while to get used to for playing those kind of rythmn parts though..

Chumple Spuzz

Righteous Dude
Reaction score
Snarling Dogs Brain picks. .73mm/red They are textured and don't slip at all.

i agree. if you dont like the .73 mm dunlop ultex picks, these are still .73 mm but have a different feel to them... a little more flexible. they feel natural on high strings to me and still have enough girth to do some good low b-string picking.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got myself a Jazz III sized Mother Of Pearl pick. Looks amazing but the grip is odd. It's taking a bit of getting used to. Reason being that the material is very strong and the grip isn't carved to how I hold my picks. Sounds good though, a bit of a mixture of how metal picks and regular picks react with strings.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I just got myself a Jazz III sized Mother Of Pearl pick. Looks amazing but the grip is odd. It's taking a bit of getting used to. Reason being that the material is very strong and the grip isn't carved to how I hold my picks. Sounds good though, a bit of a mixture of how metal picks and regular picks react with strings.

That's a coincidence...I just got myself a MOP Pick around that size.....not from one of the chappies that posts on the Rusty Cooley forum by any chance? Lives in the S.E UK?

I also got this bad boy..:

SDC10220.jpg

dantel666

Reaction score
it depends on what I'm playing really.

If I'm just playing on distortion I normally use a dunlop tortex jazz III and just recently i bought some stubby's which I prefer over the tortex.

If I'm playing clean I use either a Black or Purple Snarling dog brain pick

If I'm playing acoustic I use my fingers or any of those stated above, just depends on the sound I want

I know using 2 different types of picks for your distorted tone and clean tone is kinda stupid but I just prefer to switch cause of the sound I get with the different picks.

Faded Grey

Reaction score
Ultex Jazz III. Really good picks. They're a tad bigger then the standard Nylons; and don't scratch near as easily. They have a nice warm tone, and are easily gripped. My ideal picks atm. Nothing else has matched up.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I alternate between the black jazz 3's, .88 tortex, and brass dunlop teckpick. The brass has a really unique and smooth attack. Try one out if you can find one.

dunlop-teckpick-brass.jpg

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Hmm...of what material is that made, and how does it handle? Do the holes actually help grip at all?

It's made out of Synthetic tortoiseshell so it's very smooth, very warm but doesn't have the sort of immediate attack one associates with a JazzIII for example. The grip holes help some people more than others, depending on how you hold the pick so they're of some assistance to me, and might not help other folks at all :lol:

It's a good size for me (Jazz III's seem too small) and very slick - not particularly agressive.

BlackMetalVenom

Vallz und Veinaz
Reaction score
I just ordered some wooden picks made from lignum vitae, supposedly they have a much warmer attack. :)
Let's hope that's the case.

')