What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aghasura

Reaction score
I often prefer the tone of thinner picks but like the playability of thicker ones (4mm and up). So For tone, the Jazz is always a good option. For playability, I dig quite a few of them out there. I use a few of the big v picks often, like the unbuffed pointed snake.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
Dava-Picks1.jpg

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
After trying the whole Jazz line and a couple of V-Picks for about 2 years I've found my pick: Black Ice .80

They don't last long but stick nicely to my sweaty, greasy fingertips and glide through the strings just the way I like it.

Last edited:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
After trying the whole Jazz line and a couple of V-Picks for about 2 years I've found my pick: Black Ice .80

They don't last long but stick nicely to my sweaty, greasy fingertips and glide through the strings just the way I like it.

The Black Ice picks are nice, I like them, too as they are very similar to the Tortex Jazz III picks which are my favorite.

Steve-Om

Reaction score
I'm now into Black Ice 1.10mm. Was using 1.50mm but they are too stiff for my taste, I love the snap they have though, but 1.10mm just feels better for me.

I never really got into Jazz III's, they are nice picks but a little small for my chubby hands lol the Black Ice picks are just a hair bigger and they acommodate much better to my playing.

Dava picks are also very nice, but they don't last long, and the rubber can sometimes come off and feel weird...happened to me at least.

Tortex Jazz are also nice, albeit a little to hard on the edges IMO.

To each it's own I guess ha!

venrar

Reaction score
Gravity picks sunrise jazz size 1.5mm Love those picks, but the price really kills me.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Been using the .88mm Dunlop Tortex Sharp picks for a few months now and I prefer them over the 1.14mm ones I was using before because they have a more defined attack while still being pretty stiff.

jjr017010

Reaction score
Jazz III XL Tortex 1.5mm. Amazing get that awesome Jazz III shape in a size that fits. I these are great from Prog metal and shredding stuff, also killer if you need to track some bass.

Only a little stiff for acoustic or really strummy stuff, I use a dunlop max grip .88

Aghasura

Reaction score
Lately I've been flopping back and forth between v picks (pointed snake, unbuffed) and a jazz 3 Xl. Talk about night and day.

lewis

Reaction score
i love the Jazz John Petrucci signatures. Just ordered 3, first time ive used em and im hooked.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
My guitar pick history acoustic:
-Dunlop Nylon Standard .046 mm [originally]
-Dunlop Nylon Standard .060 mm [today]

My guitar pick history electric:
-Dunlop Tortex Standard 0.50 mm [originally]
-Dunlop Gel Blue (Light)
-Snarling Dogs Brain Nylons 0.60 mm
-Dunlop Tortex Standard 0.60 mm
-Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz III's 1.14 mm [today]

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Been rocking the Clayton Acetal Triangles 1.0mms for a good while now. Decided that anything less than 1mm was too floppy, and anything more was a bitch to use with lower string gauges.

Damn, using these things for over a year. New record for me. :lol:

Still use the Acetals, as well as the Delrins. Because they're blue. :lol:

EDIT: Actually, almost 2 years? I don't remember exactly but I think I started using the Acetals around late 2014.

MrWulf

Reaction score
I used to play on John Petrucci Jazz III. Now i'm on Winspear. The difference is insane.

Latest posts

')