What pickups do the guys from Gojira use?

• Thread starter ibanez4lifesz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Just recently stumbled on this band....possibly some of the sickest tones I've ever heard...heavy beyond what I thought was heavy.

Anyone, saw they're using duncans...anyone happen to know what pickups they use specifically?

Thanks much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dwellingers

Reaction score
Much of their Tone comes from layering of the guitartracks with light distiortion, played with extreme tightness :) . So it gonna seem still massive and clean. I don´t think its anything to do with their particular pickups.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Much of their Tone comes from layering of the guitartracks with light distiortion, played with extreme tightness :) . So it gonna seem still massive and clean. I don´t think its anything to do with their particular pickups.

No, that is not how they do it. No matter how tight you are, tons of tracks of light distortion will not make one huge heavily distorted sound like Gojira has. Also, the pinch harmonics wouldn't sound as good, and those screeching sounds are impossible without quite a bit of gain.

They probably do double tracks per guitar part, so four tracks altogether, using 5150s.

If I remember right they use the standard Jackson duncans.. JB bridge, 59 neck.

Imperium

Reaction score
They probably do double tracks per guitar part, so four tracks altogether, using 5150s.

If I remember right they use the standard Jackson duncans.. JB bridge, 59 neck.

This sounds about right. Peavey 5150's is their amp of choice since "From Mars To Sirius" before that "The link, Terra Incognita etc" I'm pretty sure was Series 1 Dual Rectifier.

Also to give an example of what the guitar sounds like isolated the first 7 seconds of backbone :metal:

It's a real dirty, sludgy tone. Not the uber-tight sound you get when it sits in the mix. And yes, Gojira are the heaviest matter of the universe :lol:

grunge782

Reaction score
Why not go straight to the source and see?

MetalKult » GOJIRA: The MetalKult Interview

5th question down under "What guitars are you using" you should be able to get a good view

All you know is that they are seymour duncan zebra colored pickups.

Apparanetly, the SLS3 is loaded stock with 2 59s... I find it very hard to believe he has been using a 59 in the bridge but you never know:scratch:

Oh yeah.

I'm not sure what their Mesa Recto settings are but believe it or not their live EVH III settings are just with the eq flat, and the gain maxed. Thats it lol. No fx or nuthin.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I thought this thread looked familiar, and it's cause its from last year

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
afaik they use jb's/59's

The album was tracked with 5150iii's (not sure on the cab)
and miked with a c414, also it's only double-tracked on the rhythms.

I find the tone a bit raspy/harsh in spots (maybe that's the 414)
but it totally fits the album, and the mix overall is amazing!!

Evilfrenchy

Reaction score
yep i do....he's saying that you can get a killer sound with any amp or any guitar,you just have to know how to tweak them,the "secret"of the gojita sound according to him is to be able to play the parts as clean as possible(without plugging into the amp) using a metronome....pretty much it in a nutshell....

grunge782

Reaction score
Joe used to use one of the composite body dinky's, the other dude has an RR.

His new one is some sort of custom dealy IIRC.

Check the vid.

Its safe to say that they use original 5150's, the occasional 5150III. Pups are probably some combo of Duncans, as stated before.

EDIT:

Anyone speak french?

Actually, I think they used just the 5150 III for their latest album. At least that is all they use live now.

And the question is more what duncans they use. Just stating they use a combo of duncans doesn't help much.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
Holy necrobump Batman!

Anyone know what pickup is used for the moody slow lead part on Explosia? About 4:30 into the song. I want to put something similar in my Ibanez in the neck

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
if you want an aftermarket pickup that can easily do gojira tones the entwistle hdn or dimarzio dsonic both do that kind of sound really well. plus the entwistle hdn is like 30$ new, can't beat that price.

mastapimp

Reaction score
What is funny is you would think they use a name brand pickup like seymour duncan or dimarzio, but they really don't in fact they use a pickup that isn't an aftermarket one.

What they use is called a Charvel MF custom pickup that is used in both Joe's and Andreu's guitars.

Additional Information:

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear...eu-rhoads-rr-rosewood-fingerboard-satin-black

https://reverb.com/item/7458715-cha...E1YZsG0pBlkQr8jomo8i--w1-hoCuagQAvD_BwE&pla=1

It's MFB for Michael Frank-Braun. His pickups are in the Guthrie Charvels as well.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's MFB for Michael Frank-Braun. His pickups are in the Guthrie Charvels as well.

:agreed:

He's been with Fender for awhile, working on new and artist pickups. He did Eric Johnson's too.

Fender has been at the pickup game for quite some time. It's not like these are no-names. :lol:

')