What pickups fit Carvin Dc727 without routing?

• Thread starter justinnn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

justinnn

Reaction score
What pickups will fit in my Carvin DC727 with have to rout out for them? I think i remember Dimarzio fit, but i cant remember or find the thread.

The stock PUPs are too loose for me, i want something a lot tighter, suggestions?

Guitar is walnut top, maple fretboard and neck, mahongany wings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrox

I am Mecha Nitrox
Reaction score
The only company that I know of that make pickups that fit in Carvin routes is Swineshead pickups: Swineshead Pickups - Guitar pickups that offer you something different

I've heard they are pretty good sounding but the company have very bad customer service. They are not even taking orders at the moment to clear their back orders.

Other then that I dont think anyother companies pickups will fit in carvins without routing.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately bro - nothing worthwhile fits without routing. I had to take the dremel to my Carvin to install my Jazz and BKP.

It should be an easy job and you can easily do it - or have a good tech do it. Prices around me are like $35 for each pickup.

Reaction score
I'd ask Tim at BKP if he could make something that would fit. Duncan's custom shop should also be able to help.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
This is interesting..so Carvin has their own routes not standard size???
Is this just on the 7's or?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
my friend and I fitted pickups into his carvin 7. they were a real bitch to get in, we stuck a dimarzio d-sonic and air norton. we sanded down the sides of the pickup and the insides of the cavity, and they were a really really tight fit.

later on he decided to get rid of the d-sonic bridge pickup, and stuck a seymour duncan JB in there, and that required a bit more sanding on the inside of the pickup cavity. if i remember correctly, we never screwed the pickups down, we just pushed them into the pickup hole and left it like that because they're such a tight fit.

apparently carvin just recently started using standard sized routes though. so thats a plus for people who are just now thinking of ordering.

dis89

Reaction score
Well, I would be amazed if they changed the routing for real, 7x7 wont be themself after that LOL

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
apparently carvin just recently started using standard sized routes though. so thats a plus for people who are just now thinking of ordering.

Actually Carvin has said the routes are a bit larger but never said they were standard sized.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Aparently, Dimarzios are the least complicated to fit in Carvins. Still, they will require some routing or sanding of the pickup's base plate and/or pickup cavities in the guitar. I will be intalling a set of Dimarzio Blaze's in my DC747 soon so I'll let you know how that went.

dis89

Reaction score
well, DiMarzios require to fit no only sanding the long side of the socket but also the routing of the places where screws are mounted

lurgar

Reaction score
Has anybody had any BKP's made that were Carvin-sized? I'm curious to see if they could do it.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
i know theres a guy here that had his carvin routed for bareknuckles (kmanick i think his name is). also i know that somebody sent tim an old dimarzio and had him wind a nailbomb onto its bobbin, and dimarzio's aren't too hard to fit into carvins.

sonofabias

Reaction score
FWIT ,My repairman installed BK war pigs in my 747 last year, almost no routing was required ! He only had to shave a very amount small inside he cavity , and I do mean small. It wasn't more than a centimeter or two . I was quite surprised because I was under the impression more was required according to some of the threads I've read on SSF about installing BKs in Carvins.:shred:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
i know theres a guy here that had his carvin routed for bareknuckles (kmanick i think his name is). also i know that somebody sent tim an old dimarzio and had him wind a nailbomb onto its bobbin, and dimarzio's aren't too hard to fit into carvins.

yup that's me, and it took some sanding to the inside of the routes but not nearly as much as I had expected..and so worth it.
My 727 sounds absolutely f'n killer with the Bk's in it.:agreed:

onefingersweep

Reaction score
Exactly how easy is it to damage the look of the guitar when you sand it? I'm thinking of ordering a Carvin but if it will be hell I won't do it. I won't pay someone else for installing pickups nor will I risk of damaging the guitar. So if someone have done this can you tell if it's easy or if it's a big chance that the guitar will get scratched while doing this?

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
If you get Dimarzio pickups like I did, then routing the guitar won't be necessary since the pickup base plates are made out of some hard plactic like material that can be sanded down. I had a friend of mine sand down the sides of my humbucker's base plates a little bit and they dropped right in the cavities, then he proceeded to wire the pickups and my Carvin sounds awesome now! :yesway:

onefingersweep

Reaction score
If you get Dimarzio pickups like I did, then routing the guitar won't be necessary since the pickup base plates are made out of some hard plactic like material that can be sanded down. I had a friend of mine sand down the sides of my humbucker's base plates a little bit and they dropped right in the cavities, then he proceeded to wire the pickups and my Carvin sounds awesome now! :yesway:

Okay thats sweet. I will probably order a Carvin then. How much did you need to sand them down?

I just ordered one now! :D

DC727 - Seven-string guitar
RB - Rounded Body Sides
1056 - Elixer Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard)
BMF - Birdseye Maple Fingerboard
NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only
STJF - Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W
R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
TB - Sapphire Blue
ASH - Maple Neck/Swamp Ash Body
TN - Tung Oil Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)
CH - Chrome Hardware (Standard)
PH - Headstock To Match Body Color (Standard)
C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup
C26N - C26 Neck Pickup
Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard)
WL - White Logo
SL - Dunlop Straplocks
HC11 - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case

Should be interesting to see how it turns out, I've never even seen a Carvin :)

')