What pickups?

• Thread starter killarguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey all, looking to get new pickups for the Carvin DC747c!

I want a raunchy sustaining tone like gary moore,

and the defined crunch of john petrucci...

what pickups would suit this? Thanks!

:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know about Gary Moore, but for Petrucci you definitely need an Air Norton 7 for the neck, and a Blaze Custom for the bridge. If you look on Dimarzio's site, they claim that the pickups in his 7-string Music Man model most resemble the AN7 and the Blaze Bridge. However, I remember reading in a thread somewhere on this site that, in an email, Dimarzio claimed the Blaze Custom was actually the closest bridge pickup.

I think you'll also need a Mesa amp and an enormous rack to fully capture the Petrucci tone :)

Hope this helps. Don't you have to do some routing to get Dimarzios to fit in a Carvin?

Reaction score
giannifive said:
Don't know about Gary Moore, but for Petrucci you definitely need an Air Norton 7 for the neck, and a Blaze Custom for the bridge. If you look on Dimarzio's site, they claim that the pickups in his 7-string Music Man model most resemble the AN7 and the Blaze Bridge. However, I remember reading in a thread somewhere on this site that, in an email, Dimarzio claimed the Blaze Custom was actually the closest bridge pickup.

I think you'll also need a Mesa amp and an enormous rack to fully capture the Petrucci tone :)

Hope this helps. Don't you have to do some routing to get Dimarzios to fit in a Carvin?

Well, i would LOVE to have an enourmous rack, the size of a mesa ... :nuts:

hah. hah.

Im not sure how pickups fit in carvins, still learning about them as I use mine

Thanks for the advice, i'll look into them.

Gary Moore is a screaaaaming blues player, who used to be a crazy metalhead. His metal background works well with his newfound blues style, you should take a listen. Check out Blues Alive, its a greaaat live album. Joe Stump or yingwe (sp) were influenced by Gary, i forget which..

rock on

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
To fit anything other than Carvin pickups into a Carvin, you WILL need to either shave the bases on some pickups, or route the guitar on others./

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
yea, nice thing about dimarzios is the plate that the screw goes through is made of plastic...so you can shave it down to size.

tedious, but better than routing the guitar (which is an option, still). Blaze custom sounds like the best bet, IMO.

')