What specific amps were used for what specific deathmetal albums?

• Thread starter Gmork
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Not sure what note that refers to in Finnworld, G# or G. I think the Ulvaja EP they put out a few years ago is in G. Low as hell for 1993!

B standard :D In Finnworld B = H, which is german origin in classical music. All the others have it notated as B, and sometimes finns refer to H. I prefer to just call it B because it's internationally easier.

akinari

Reaction score
I love everything they've ever done. Finland was exporting a lot of great bands back in those days.
B standard :D In Finnworld B = H, which is german origin in classical music. All the others have it notated as B, and sometimes finns refer to H. I prefer to just call it B because it's internationally easier.

The more you know! I could've sworn their early stuff was lower.

Anyone know what Carcass's Descanting the Insalubrious set up was?

Not 100% on this, but I think it was Tubescreamer > JCM900 > Marshall cab. They were using Marshalls on the tour.

akinari

Reaction score
As far as Decapitated goes, Vogg has used a bunch of different stuff over the years. Winds of Creation is a dual rectifier, Nihility is a triple rec, Valvestate 8100 and a Crate Excalibur, Negation was done with a triple rec and a Tech 21 Sansamp, Organic Hallucinosis was cut with a Randall Warhead, and Carnival is Forever is a Crate Excalibur and a Bogner... Uber...?maybesomething I can't remember

Werecow

Reaction score
Anyone know what Carcass's Descanting the Insalubrious set up was?

Not 100% on this, but I think it was Tubescreamer > JCM900 > Marshall cab. They were using Marshalls on the tour.

It was a JCM800. They used a 900 SLX partially on Heartwork.

Andy Sneap said he bought Bill's 800 that was used on it and said it was just a stock "nothing special" 800 head.

transyldavianhunger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any one know of care to speculate about Member of Immortal Damnation by Purtenance? The saturation is incredible, and one of my favorite from the Finnish scene!

akinari

Reaction score
Any one know of care to speculate about Member of Immortal Damnation by Purtenance? The saturation is incredible, and one of my favorite from the Finnish scene!

I always pictured it as being something like a DS-1 or another really common early 90s distortion pedal into a haphazardly miced dusty 1x12 combo on the clean channel. If you're not familiar with it already, you should check out their 2015 album "To Spread the Flame of Ancients." One of the best DM albums of the 2010s imo.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
As far as Decapitated goes, Vogg has used a bunch of different stuff over the years. Winds of Creation is a dual rectifier, Nihility is a triple rec, Valvestate 8100 and a Crate Excalibur, Negation was done with a triple rec and a Tech 21 Sansamp, Organic Hallucinosis was cut with a Randall Warhead, and Carnival is Forever is a Crate Excalibur and a Bogner... Uber...?maybesomething I can't remember

Can definitely hear the Bogner Uber tone in there, this is great, thanks! The Warhead huh... massive...

transyldavianhunger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heard back from the (current) Purtenance via social media (their lead guitarist from the seminal album, Member of Immortal Damnation is not involved in the revamp of the recent years). They said:
“...we use Marshalls and we use marshall gain only no pedals.We use bc rich guitars back then..of course the studio guy do he's own mixing and thats why the tone sounds good in the album.”
Anyone care to speculate which Marshall amp/s they used?

Rosal76

Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly which old school swedish DM & norwegian black metal albums used the Peavey bandit? I know it was used pretty frequently by those bands in that era, but I don't know which specific albums it was used on.

Kind of late but... The newest Guitar World magazine (6-2020) ran a article on Entombed/guitarist, Uffe Cederlund and Sunlight studios. Uffe discussed recording their first album, Left hand path from 1990. Anyways, this was printed in the article:

"We used a small Peavey Studio Pro 40 combo amp for the 'buzzsaw' guitar sound, along with a HM-2 Boss pedal and a 50-watt Marshall combo for the non-'buzzsaw' sound with a Boss DS-1 pedal".

Unrelated to the amps they used, I found this part of the article very hard to believe but if it really happened...

"On Left hand path we tuned to B. We used .10 to .46 strings so it was kind of sloppy"

I would have loved to see them play guitars tuned to B with those string gauges.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Beherit used an HM-2 into a Marshall Bass amp on "Drawing Down the Moon". Not death metal, but kind of notable because it's not the overused "chainsaw tone" that so many bands were going for. Old live pictures have a marshall stack and from a live video it looks like a JCM800 (2203?) I assume they used a similar set up with that for the material they put out as the The Lord Diabolus prior to the full length.
Big fan of the tone.

Portal's early releases, from Horror Illogium, who used to be a member here.
Each album has had different equipment used for our tone.

Swarth - Bogner Triple Giant thru Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 (ABY Pedal) mixed with a Peavey 6505. I like to have the mids & highs of the Bogner at around 1 or 2 O'clock, and the Lows at 1 O'clock, exclusively thru the Sharp Gain channel. The 6505 was used to fill out the tone with more dirt and fatness.

Outre' - I used a Digitech Valve FX preamp thru an Alesis reference power amp.

Seepia - An old Digitech Processor GSP 2101 or something through Peavey Revolution head.

Pre 2002 demos etc - I used the distortion from the Peavey Revolution head.

Lately when we have to travel and can't take our rigs we use the T.C. Electronic Nova Gain pedals.

Last edited:

akinari

Reaction score
Heard back from the (current) Purtenance via social media (their lead guitarist from the seminal album, Member of Immortal Damnation is not involved in the revamp of the recent years). They said:
“...we use Marshalls and we use marshall gain only no pedals.We use bc rich guitars back then..of course the studio guy do he's own mixing and thats why the tone sounds good in the album.”
Anyone care to speculate which Marshall amp/s they used?

I'd almost call bs. That doesn't sound like a Marshall at all!

Gmork

Reaction score
Forgot i made this thread and just started another for sutrah related gear, sorry. But for those intetested on Sutrahs newest ep aletheia which sounds bonkers incredible they used an old Mesa Boogie Mark III and a Marshall cab with V30s! Who knew!

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
...they used an old Mesa Boogie Mark III and a Marshall cab with V30s! Who knew!

I'm normally not big on V30s but on this particular cab there was a really worn-in one with rolled off Highs that both I and my friend/producer loved. Normally I play an Orange 4x12 w/ GK100s but it sounded a little too honky in this particular case.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the EP is almost 75% quad tracked, and every additional harmony is double tracked on top of it, which makes it seem like there's more gain than there really was... oh well, you live and learn!

Gmork

Reaction score
I'm normally not big on V30s but on this particular cab there was a really worn-in one with rolled off Highs that both I and my friend/producer loved. Normally I play an Orange 4x12 w/ GK100s but it sounded a little too honky in this particular case.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the EP is almost 75% quad tracked, and every additional harmony is double tracked on top of it, which makes it seem like there's more gain than there really was... oh well, you live and learn!
Is that you claude?! Thanks for the insight, it really turned out incredible, the tone and just the whole album in general.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window

Organic Hallucinosis for me has been the standard for modern death metal tone. It’s my favorite tone they’ve ever had. Absolutely perfect.

Does anyone know what Asphyx used on Last One On Earth and their two latest Deathhammer and Incoming Death? I’ve come damn close with several OD pedals into a Driftwood Nightmare-Mini clean channel, bright switch off. One pedal nails it with the right diode clipping used and the amp channel’s bright switch on. Razor sharp yet thick. Curious what they used in real life though.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Temple of Void - Lords of Death: Rockerverb 100 and Dual Rec (no clue which model, but has to be 100w)

I really love this tone. I got in touch with them and Alex or Eric (forgot who) said they run Rockerverbs and Dual Recs like they have live, pretty much straight in with some effects for clean stuff, and notably X2Ns in their guitars. It’s bulldozer tone and both brands of amps compliment each other well.

akinari

Reaction score
Just found out from a new interview with Luc that Gorguts also used a recto on Obscura, and the bass was done with a solid state Ampeg SVT head and a Trace Elliot cab.

')