What Sticks do you use?

• Thread starter WaterWorkzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sludgehammer

Reaction score
Vater. For me, they have been the highest quality and last a long time. I'm a fairly hard hitter and their 5A's hold up to the abuse :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Another Ahead user here. I was all obev Vaters, Vic Firths, Zildjians, Sonors, Promarks.
I hated Nylon tips, I loved Weckls, Omar Hakim sigs and everything.
But Ahead Rock is my fav. practicing stick. I will order some Joey Jordison speed metal ones. 5A would be another option.

pearl_07

Reaction score
ProMark 747 Japanese Oak. I love the smaller diameter, but the heavy weight and these things are perfect, plus they last forever!

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
Anyone here use Zildjian Mangini's? I'm not a good drummer by ANY means but I like the weight of them.

Coffin

unknown
Reaction score
I'm not good on drums either, just use them for fun, bu I love Vter 2BN. Perfect size, weight, control.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Earlier I said that I use Morgan Rose signature sticks. Since I play electronic drums now, I'm using Danny Carey's signature sticks with nylon tips. Morgan Rose's sticks would demolish an e-kit. They're not sticks... They're logs.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
I see a lot of people using grip sticks.
May I ask why?

I've tried them, and dont need them, never will.

My sticks are all from CDX.
I used to work for them for a while.

I stand behind their sticks 100%
If you think Vic Firth has good quality hickory, you need to re-evaluate that and get some CDX sticks.
All custom, you can do whatever you want.

Epyon6

Reaction score
Vic Firth 7A Nylon tips! Need to accent that bell! I got small Italian hands, I also use Zildjian 7A dipped sticks cause my calloused fingers and hands, sometimes non dipped sticks fly outta my hand. :x

Steve08

Reaction score
Vic Firth mostly, I say mostly because I have a no-name stick and a pair of Promark 5As lying around, but those were given to me. All the sticks that I've bought have been Vic Firth and I don't think that'll change any time soon.

As for sizes, I've been digging 5Bs for a while though I also recently got a pair of X5As (which I'm not fond of) and the Metal sticks, the latter of which I got mainly for practicing, but I might look into more for use on my actual kit since I like them a lot.

Tobi

Reaction score
I play 7A sticks... generally the lighter the better, I am not really much of a heavy hitter anymore...
definantly wood tip, even though nylon has it's place if you want more 'ping' out of your ride... Not for me though.

I would not recommend using carbon sticks to anyone, there are so many drummers that smash their cymbals or heads. Plus they can quite easily damage your wrists..
no offense to anyone, just my experience

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
Carbosticks 5ACTLW Large Tip Medium Weight. Anyone else use Carbon fiber?

i actually used carbosticks for a while
love the durability. but eventually after shaving off so long till there's barely a stick left, the tips had a bad attack to the head.
and as my feel has changed, i wanted a more unique stick, but they dont make them how i want them

for durability their great, for options and availability...not so much

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Currently using promark 5A, but in the past I've preferred Vic Firth. Unfortunately, The local shop didn't have any Vic 5A's left when I bought these.

Here's a story about how cool Vic Firth are:

I was on my way home from jamming on my drums at my rehearsal space around 5-6 years ago. I had actually just started using the Firth sticks, before that I had been using promarks. I stopped at a gas station to fill up, and the guy two cars over from me was wearing a Vic Firth shirt.

"Great sticks, man", I yelled over. "I love Vic Firths".

The guy smiled and thanked me, then beckoned me over to his car. He opened the trunk and whipped out a bag of something like 20+ pairs of sticks in it.

"I work for Vic Firth", he said. "This is a bag of factory seconds. Have em, see if you can use em." He smiled as I pretty much peed my pants and thanked him profusely.

I gotta say, I played with those sticks and couldn't find a reason they would have been "seconds". They were all straight, balanced, with no defect I could see. So I really feel like the guy gave me $200 or so worth of Vic Firth drumsticks. Just for being friendly at a gas station!

So while I'm using promarks right now, I still feel the need to plug how strongly I feel about what an awesome company Vic Firth is.

J-Dub

Reaction score
Originally used Vic Firths when I first started playing but found that the tips and shoulders didn't hold up all that well. I ended up trying Vater's Recording model and Stewart Copeland Signature series and haven't looked back. Great balance, overall feel is superb and they are easy on the hands too.

')