What strings to get for 8-string

• Thread starter danarchy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

danarchy

Reaction score
I am ordering an Agile Interceptor Pro 27" scale 8-stringer. The recommended gauges are: .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .072.

Rondomusic.com sells Indie brand and LaBella brand strings with those gauges. Does anyone have any experience with these brand strings? What do you think of them?

Also, I'd like to tune the 8th string down a step to a low E. Would this warrant getting a heavier gauge string, or will I not notice much difference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tirell

Reaction score
LaBella are better then indie obviously (USA made after all)
I could recommend elixir strings
they are thinner (0.68 for 8th) but they are UNKILLABLE

Tirell

Reaction score
Schecter strings are poop IMO
they just made 'em to back up the C-8
like "hey, we're fucking serious!"

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Personally I would look for a .080 if not something very close to that for the low string, the rest should be fine.

I haven't used labella but everyone who's tried em on here has liked them. I use elixir strings on my 6, I would be using the same on an 8 string excluding the low string that would probably get a daddario single or something since no one makes a large enough coated string without using a bass string that'll cost 10$ by itself.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LaBella are better then indie obviously (USA made after all)
I could recommend elixir strings
they are thinner (0.68 for 8th) but they are UNKILLABLE

I've used Elixirs on an 8, including their bass strings. I highly recommend them. I also like the LaBellas I have on my steinberger, but haven't tried their other strings yet.

lctdmf

Reaction score
I use D'Addario 9 - 46 + 64 + 72 on a 27" scale. Works for me.

Reaction score
Schecter strings are poop IMO
they just made 'em to back up the C-8
like "hey, we're fucking serious!"
I play the hell out of them and they hold up pretty well! The .74 gives my SC608B the perfect ammount of tension. Nice to find something in a pack too instead of buying strings individually.

Tirell

Reaction score
They may hold up but they get sticky and start ringing a lot of sound you don't need
and then again - elixirs can stay for up to 4 months (!)

')