What studio headphones should I buy? Limit $500

• Thread starter markgov
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

markgov

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if you could help me out with the above. I want a really good pair of studio headphones for recording, mixing and mastering.

Thanks, Mark

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

markgov

Reaction score
I tried out a pair of akgs for around 200 ish i think ad I wasn't too impressed for metal, they sounded good for hip hop sort a stuff but I found them to be lacking in highs and bass was weak. Or is that how studio headphones are supposed to be?

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
Oh really :/ I'm sorry. I've never personally tried listening through them (I don't think atleast) but I know when I was talking to some guys on here they spoke of them.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
i heard you want the flattest headphones possible for mixing. no added "color" i have a pair of 662-F-'s f for flat lol superlux makes them idk if the best but i hear good things about superlux i got em for around 50 on ebay used.

EDIT: im no expert but one thing ive learned is "studio" doesnt mean studio. lmao

asilayamazing

Reaction score
also i cant remember for what but depending on what your doing you may need two pairs. i think "closed" cans for vocals and drums and "open cans" for guitar. i may have that backwards tho. google what the use of open and closed design as well and figure out what u will be recording most and buy best suited design for that. IMO

markgov

Reaction score
are these headphones good for mixing mastering tho? And btw, the best headphones ive listened to so far were dr dre beats and i know that those arent the greatest lol

asilayamazing

Reaction score
are these headphones good for mixing mastering tho? And btw, the best headphones ive listened to so far were dr dre beats and i know that those arent the greatest lol
THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT FOR MIXING. dont get dre. OMG lol what u listen to to mix will affect the end result. dre are made to color hip hop. so it will throw off you mix. i suggest you google about mixing what phones are for what and what you need. you want flat headphones. not added treble or dre's added bass.

ImaDjentleman

Ima let u finish but
Reaction score
i cant recommend Shure enough. I really dont like Akg's, but i own a pair of shure srh840's, and can only imagine how good the 940's are. they are flat, amazing for guitar, honestly i'd add a bit of bass to make it more even sounding, but people often complain about the 840s' sound-stage, which i think is fine (not great), but i've heard that Shure has fixed anyone's soundstage complaints with the 940s... SHURE!!11!1!!!!!

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I Have a set of AKG K171 which are fine for all I use them for, which is just tracking and late night mixes. They're fine until I can afford to drop some money on proper monitors. They're also fairly comfortable to wear for hours once they had been worn in.

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
I was struggling between Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Beyerdynamic DT-250 about a year ago.
I thought the Beyerdynamic sounded better but was a bit uncomfortable, the Audio-Technica also sounded really good but they were also extremely comfortable so I bought the latter.
I'm still very happy about these, I use them mainly for mixing and tracking guitars so don't know how they would do when tracking vocals.
These 2 headphones are what my teachers(I'm studying audio- and music production) recommended, and they are all pretty experienced with this stuff.
They are both about 240$ if I remember correctly.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Tracking, Mixing AND Mastering... I would recommend getting two sets.

A pair of comfortable and cheap CLOSED back headphones for tracking (particularly Drums and Vocals) and a pair of open backed for mixing.

With a $500 budget... Holy crap

If you're not tracking vocals or drums... 1 pair that will blow so many away...

Sennheiser HD650s

Holy Shit they're amazing.

If you do need closed back as well... Get the Beyer DT 990s for a pair of open backed, and any old closed back headphones that are comfortable

Latest posts

')