What the F*CK is wrong with me? I think I want a Powerball.

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
have you tried venturing within a 2 hour radius of your place and trying out everything you can get your hands on? i wouldnt just go to GC.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
have you tried venturing within a 2 hour radius of your place and trying out everything you can get your hands on? i wouldnt just go to GC.

nah... I don't really care. This is how I've been trying amps for the last 7-8 years so it doesn't really bother me anymore. I never know how to get the most out of them until I own them so even a trip to a bunch of stores could leave me disappointed after I get the amp home. I like to try them out at band practice before I decide if it's my tone or not.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
So no more Madison, I take it?

I've been through 2 amps since then :D I want another one when I can afford to have 2 amps around. I still LOVE that amp, probably more than the rectos, but I must know if there's anything out there that I like better.

smith10210

Reaction score
Ive owned a powerball,blackmore,SE,and savage and would take a savage over any of them...I would go for a fireball personally if you are considering a powerball... I had a vht ul also which is a totally different voicing.. Vhts are dry and tight and very clear sounding not much saturation where as engls are very compressed and tight and clear for the amount of gain they have the blackmore being the clearest gain.. All engls mentioned can do metal the savage and blackmore have more mids and are punchy where as powerball, SE, fireball are voiced lower with more lowend and gain.. and somewhat ss sounding.. Do a search on youtube for savage clips theres one clip with my savage on it from guitarliners I think his name is it will give you an idea what it sounds like... The savage is my favorite amp channel 4 is awsome... plus there is a mid countour button which will give you the deathmeatal vibe.. Necro uses SE's with vader cabs..

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
ahh dont badmouth the pball, i lurb it the most personally!

I don't think the PBall is bad, just different tones for different folks.

Besides Bulb; you could get a killer sound out of a fucking $99 Marshall MG that would make most of us jealous!

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ive owned a powerball,blackmore,SE,and savage and would take a savage over any of them...I would go for a fireball personally if you are considering a powerball... I had a vht ul also which is a totally different voicing.. Vhts are dry and tight and very clear sounding not much saturation where as engls are very compressed and tight and clear for the amount of gain they have the blackmore being the clearest gain.. All engls mentioned can do metal the savage and blackmore have more mids and are punchy where as powerball, SE, fireball are voiced lower with more lowend and gain.. and somewhat ss sounding.. Do a search on youtube for savage clips theres one clip with my savage on it from guitarliners I think his name is it will give you an idea what it sounds like... The savage is my favorite amp channel 4 is awsome... plus there is a mid countour button which will give you the deathmeatal vibe.. Necro uses SE's with vader cabs..

I may go with a Savage and sell some pedals and stuff to afford a cab. That clip on youtube sounds KILLER!

Brord

Furor Teutonicus
Reaction score
Yesterday we did the last of the recordings of our soon to be released promo cd. This cd is recorded with these setups:

ritme:
1. RG 7620 (ADGCFad with 11-49+70)
2 emg 707's
Engl Powerball - > mesa rectocab
2. RG 7620 (ADGCFad with 11-49+70)
stock pickups
5150 mkI - > mesa rectocab

solo/fills
2 emg 707's

Next week we're gonna finish the post-recording process and I'll make sure you can hear it. You should be able to hear the difference between the Engl and the Peavey very clear. Hope this helps you out a bit.
Just pm. me if you have any questions conserning deathmetal+powerball.

Greets,
Brord.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yesterday we did the last of the recordings of our soon to be released promo cd. This cd is recorded with these setups:

ritme:
2 emg 707's
2. RG 7620 (ADGCFad with 11-49+70)
stock pickups
5150 mkI - > mesa rectocab

solo/fills
2 emg 707's

Next week we're gonna finish the post-recording process and I'll make sure you can hear it. You should be able to hear the difference between the Engl and the Peavey very clear. Hope this helps you out a bit.
Just pm. me if you have any questions conserning deathmetal+powerball.

Greets,
Brord.

Can't wait to hear it! V1 or V2 powerball?

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's a VI Powerball.

Affirmative, if anything I want a V2. I'm actually leaning more towards a Savage or Fireball at this point. I'm just trying to decide if the options of the Savage outweigh the tasty price of the Fireball :D

It's either get a Savage and get a new cabinet god knows when... or get a Fireball and a Vader cabinet now.

Ror3h

Reaction score
Played an invader yesterday, REALLY nice amp!
Channel one was a really good clean sound, even stayed clean with my X2N7, which is unusual.
Channel 2 was a really nice, slightly overdriven tone, didnt spend a lot of time on that channel though...
CHANNEL 3 was fucking awesome rhythm central! It was just total chug! Tonnes of Djent, I loved it. I would buy this amp for this channel alone! (if i could afford to haha).
Channel 4 was kinda disappointing after channel 3, had a kinda Marshall voicing on it. Might work well as a lead channel over channel 3 though.

smith10210

Reaction score
Affirmative, if anything I want a V2. I'm actually leaning more towards a Savage or Fireball at this point. I'm just trying to decide if the options of the Savage outweigh the tasty price of the Fireball :D

It's either get a Savage and get a new cabinet god knows when... or get a Fireball and a Vader cabinet now.

I would go for the fireball Vader combo.. I only used channel 4 and the contour button on the savage. There are quite a few options on the savage but I really had no use for them.. I guess the blackmore is the simplified version of the savage which both sound very close but the savage had a little more gain and lowend and seemed more aggresive...If you get the fireball used you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it if you don't like it the same with the savage.. I lost my ass selling the savage though even though I got a deal on it new.... The fireball will have more of a death metal voicing if that helps..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3FaCRkd7OA&mode=related&search= He posted these on HC awhile back a Vader 2x12 fireball setup maybe this will help ya.. O by the way engls sound awesome at low volumes better than any other amp ive owned...

')