What the F*CK is wrong with me? I think I want a Powerball.

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
2 Days ago I wouldn't of had anything good to say about ENGL's but this morning I woke up wanting one. Zimbloth gave me VHT gas a few days ago but I think I'm over that now. I'm now on the hunt for a Powerball, anybody selling? Am I making a mistake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes, the Powerball is not that great IMO. The Fireball or Savage sounds a lot better. Unless you want that super sterile djenty sound. If you want a new amp, get the VHT Deliverance 120. Its more or less a Pittbull but with a more simple layout. That would likely destroy a Powerball.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes, the Powerball is not that great IMO. The Fireball or Savage sounds a lot better. Unless you want that super sterile djenty sound. If you want a new amp, get the VHT Deliverance 120. Its more or less a Pittbull but with a more simple layout. That would likely destroy a Powerball.

The Savage is an option too. From clips it seems that I like the Powerball more for death metal but my tastes change overnight (obviously). I would love to have a D120 but I can't live without an effects loop.

AARRGGHHH

Fretboard Wizzard
Reaction score
The power ball has a really versatile gain sound. You can make it sound pretty much how you want for a really clear heavy sound with the different mid controls and stuff. And it has a strong clean tone, fairly punchy.

Having said that I prefer the Fireball, just seems to sound fuller and smoother than the powerball, I think it has more balls. The other guitarist in my band has a Fireball, sits nicley with my Cornford actually. I think a powerball would sound a bit odd in that situation.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
mako custom 100?

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
There's only one thing to do...

Go try one, and find out once and for all.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
There's only one thing to do...

Go try one, and find out once and for all.

Can't, I don't think there's anywhere within driving distance that has one to try.

Actually...

[action=LordOVchaoS]changes his mind again[/action]

I think I'm going to go with a Fireball and a new cab. With the money I can get out of the Racktifier and a few pedals and stuff I should be able to afford both and I've desperately needed to upgrade my cab for a while.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
The Powerball excells at super technical deathmetal type stuff (phagist, etc), and djenty sounds.

For everything else, I find it to sound sterile, overgained, and no mids. It feels like playing a POD.

I'd grab a Savage 120, for sure.

What kind of cab are you running?

Ror3h

Reaction score
I :wub: my fireball, I can say nothing but good things about it!
What sort of style stuff do you play?

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Powerball excells at super technical deathmetal type stuff (phagist, etc), and djenty sounds.

That's what I play. My new band is VERY similar to Necrophagist.

I'd grab a Savage 120, for sure.

Thinking about it but it's a little more than I want to spend and I didn't like the death metal clips on the Rock Solid Amps website near as much as the Powerball and Fireball.

What kind of cab are you running?

An Avatar 4x12 that needs to retire.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Ah yeah, the Avatar should be replaced.

I know I've heard the Savage 120 sound great with Nightrage, Arch Enemy, and Dream Evil - not quite deathmetal, but still heavy.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Fireball does death metal supremely too, but IMO so doesnt most good high gain tube amps...as IMO death metal is more about style & technique than tone. The Savage and SE are excellent amps too. I just really don't think the Powerball is the best investment. Once again I'd check out the VHT Deliverance if you're on a budget. Or just a good ol' 5150 :yesway:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
ahh dont badmouth the pball, i lurb it the most personally!

Bulb! Help a brotha out and record me a quick death metal clip of the Powerball! The only one I've heard is the "Hammer Smashed Face" clip on rock solid amps and it kicks ass. Need more!

Ror3h

Reaction score
If you're playing 'phagist kinda stuff, the Powerball is pretty good at that sort of stuff, it has a bit of a compressed or processed kinda sound, but that could work pretty well with lots of technical stuff.

At the end of the day though, you really need to go and try out lots of amps. It's the only way you're gona know what you want.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I thought the Racktifier was your holy grail of tone? Are you sure you want another amp, or is it just GAS that'll leave you regretting selling the Recto in a few weeks? Not trying to put you off an Engl, just giving a balancing thought.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I thought the Racktifier was your holy grail of tone? Are you sure you want another amp, or is it just GAS that'll leave you regretting selling the Recto in a few weeks? Not trying to put you off an Engl, just giving a balancing thought.

Just ready to try something new. I still love the Racktifier but I won't know it's perfect for me until I try everything. I don't live close enough to enough high end amp dealers to try many out so I just have to sell/buy till I'm done (may be never).

If you're playing 'phagist kinda stuff, the Powerball is pretty good at that sort of stuff, it has a bit of a compressed or processed kinda sound, but that could work pretty well with lots of technical stuff.

At the end of the day though, you really need to go and try out lots of amps. It's the only way you're gona know what you want.

I've tried everything at my closest Guitar Center and wasn't blown away. Now I'm left with having to buy to try.

')