What the hell happened to Arsis?!

• Thread starter Esp Griffyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Anyone who ever takes metal 100% serious all the time needs to take a step back. Metal is full of the most outlandish hyperbole and over-the-top imagery of any genre I can think of.

The part of the backlash I don't understand with Arsis or any other band that changes their sound is how there will be one thing that people don't agree with or particularly like and it ruins the entirety of the band's reputation for those people.

If Meshuggah put out a bluegrass album, it doesn't erase the fact that they plowed the way down their own path, and they should continue to be respected as such. It's their decision. Hate that album, but don't hate the band if you have loved them up until this point.

People change. Music changes. People become inspired and people lose inspiration. I'm not saying people aren't allowed to dislike a band; I just don't understand how people can lose so much respect for a band when they do something outside of their niche.

Personally, I giggled at this video. I thought it was great.

I think Malone is the only person that I've ever watched where you can see his lisp.

Meshuggah playing bluegrass would be fucking awesome. Just saying.

:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Well, hate and violence typically aren't emotions that come from the heart, so I just thought it was funny :lol:

I would disagree. "Heart-felt" is a figure of speech. You can have heart-felt hate. It just means genuine and deep.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Well, hate and violence typically aren't emotions that come from the heart, so I just thought it was funny :lol:

Week old bump, but an interesting point. Emotions come from the brain, not the heart, "heart-felt" is a phrase that denotes strong and deep seated conviction in an emotion.

My opinion has not wavered since I made this thread back in 2010, "Forced to rock" is a great song, but while I await with interest James' next move. With Cordle out of the band and Van Dyne gone (again) it seems Malone is on his own again. I hope the adversity of saving Arsis from the potential brink of doom will deliver us some more grade A metal, but I have a nagging doubt that it could be all over.

Oh well, I'll just go listen to "Seven whispers fell silent" again. When they were on their game, Arsis were the best American band to have a stab at European style death metal.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh well, I'll just go listen to "Seven whispers fell silent" again. When they were on their game, Arsis were the best American band to have a stab at European style death metal.

Agreed. To me, they were the next logical step to what Carcass accomplished with 'Heartwork'.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
New EP coming Tuesday! Leper's Caress.

Source? Where'd you get that from?

Arsis has some sick demo's for the new releases( puzzled by the EP though) and pretty much a lot of stuff in regards to new stuff

These pre-pro song's are not in the vein of Starve for The Devil. though I liked that record, but I understand they weren't acting serious enough( seriously, it was just one song and it sounded good imo). It is more in the vein of A Celebration of Guilt and United in Regret, but with more stuff going on and a progression from those albums, not another rehash.

so new album artwork and title
Arsis-Unwelcome-Digipack-in-Progress.jpeg

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
What! Wait a minute! First, Jim quits the band altogether for baseball and then this new kid replaces Chris Amott (who I had no idea was in the band anyway)?!

3+dubs+in+a+row+WHAT+THE+HOLY+FUCK+SHIT+_e781e955ac75d87c055d138948aaaddc.jpg

:EDIT: Even some info on google says that Chris was in Arsis, but it's quite obvious that he never was, unless I'm incorrect.

-JR-

Reaction score
Nick Cordle replaced Chris Amott in Arch Enemy and Brandon Ellis took Nicks spot in Arsis.

Overtone

Reaction score
The EP release can be confirmed here
https://www.facebook.com/scionavmetal

They have a tour coming up too.

Date Venue Location Tickets
Dec 06 Gramercy Theater New York, NY Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 07 Palladium Worcester, MA RSVP Share
Dec 08 The Note West Chester, PA Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 09 Empire Springfield, VA Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 11 The Opera House Toronto, Canada Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 12 The Altar Bar Pittsburgh, PA Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 13 Peabody's Cleveland, OH Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 14 Harpo's Detroit, MI Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 15 Mojoes Joliet, IL Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 17 Bluebird Theater Denver, CO Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 18 Launchpad Albuquerque, NM Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 19 Rhythm Room Phoenix, AZ Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 20 Whisky A Go Go West Hollywood, CA Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 21 Cheyenne Saloon Las Vegas, NV RSVP Share
Dec 23 Chameleon Room Oklahoma City, OK RSVP Share

Brandon joined them (as a guest at that time) on their last tour and is a sick player!

chevymeister

Reaction score
Wait, I thought James left the band? Read it on ultimate-guitar and was quite saddened.

I've always seen a good/bad pattern going for them with album releases (to me anyway) so since starved I had listened to once and never again... I'm sure the next album with get a 100 playthroughs.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
The EP release can be confirmed here
https://www.facebook.com/scionavmetal

They have a tour coming up too.

Date Venue Location Tickets
Dec 06 Gramercy Theater New York, NY Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 07 Palladium Worcester, MA RSVP Share
Dec 08 The Note West Chester, PA Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 09 Empire Springfield, VA Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 11 The Opera House Toronto, Canada Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 12 The Altar Bar Pittsburgh, PA Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 13 Peabody's Cleveland, OH Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 14 Harpo's Detroit, MI Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 15 Mojoes Joliet, IL Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 17 Bluebird Theater Denver, CO Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 18 Launchpad Albuquerque, NM Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 19 Rhythm Room Phoenix, AZ Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 20 Whisky A Go Go West Hollywood, CA Tickets RSVP Share
Dec 21 Cheyenne Saloon Las Vegas, NV RSVP Share
Dec 23 Chameleon Room Oklahoma City, OK RSVP Share

Brandon joined them (as a guest at that time) on their last tour and is a sick player!

It's almost like bands think Chicago doesn't exist

Overtone

Reaction score
Does seem weird to pick Joliet over Chicago, but as someone who drives from DC to Baltimore for shows pretty often I will say it's no big deal.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Arsis have 2 releases coming out - one is an EP from SCION (recorded with Zuess). The other is a full length (recorded with Mark Lewis).

The full length is absolutely KILLER and the best Arsis I've heard to date - the leads are unreal, the vocals are dynamic and Shawn Priest laid down some of the tastiest drumming I've heard in a while! No its not that 80s metal sounding Arsis that reared its head for a moment, its HEAVY.

You've been warned... :shred:

Masc0t

Reaction score
So they got a new guitar player called Brandon Ellis

Brandon graduated high school last year, I think. I have a friend who went to school with him. I don't know him personally but he has been a ridiculously good player ever since I've known of him. Hopefully he gets them back on track. He also was the touring guitarist for Sylosis on their tour last year with AILD and The Ghost Inside.

Latest posts

')