What the hell happened to Arsis?!

• Thread starter Esp Griffyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Arsis have 2 releases coming out - one is an EP from SCION (recorded with Zuess). The other is a full length (recorded with Mark Lewis).

The full length is absolutely KILLER and the best Arsis I've heard to date - the leads are unreal, the vocals are dynamic and Shawn Priest laid down some of the tastiest drumming I've heard in a while! No its not that 80s metal sounding Arsis that reared its head for a moment, its HEAVY.

You've been warned... :shred:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

MastrXploder

Reaction score
The new stuff is pretty cool. Ive been listening to it for a while now and its definitely a step up from that Starve crap. The cover they do is pretty tits as well :hbang:

EDIT: Ok there were maybe 2 cool songs on starve

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I haven't listened to Arsis since Ryan Knight was in the band, but hopefully they revert to their old 'Celebration of Guilt' style.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I haven't listened to Arsis since Ryan Knight was in the band, but hopefully they revert to their old 'Celebration of Guilt' style.

It is absolutely a reflection of "Celebration of Guilt" - more than you may know ;)

I will say though that "We Are The Nightmare" was my favorite album EXCEPT for the fact that Darren decided to be himself and completely ruin all of the drums. You know, nothing like removing all the groove or letting any other instrument shine over drums for a goddamn second :rofl:

mwcarl

Reaction score
Really looking forward to any new stuff. I didn't mind Stave for the Devil at all though, and I thought it was interesting lyrically given James Malone's personal trials.

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Never listened to Arsis. Sounds too much like Arses.

*badum-tish*

/leaves thread

ArrowHead

Reaction score
I will say though that "We Are The Nightmare" was my favorite album EXCEPT for the fact that Darren decided to be himself and completely ruin all of the drums. You know, nothing like removing all the groove or letting any other instrument shine over drums for a goddamn second :rofl:

Darren plays like Darren. And he did before they asked him to join the band. If his style is too busy, it's their fault for recruiting him, not his fault for having the style he has. Fault him for many, many, many, many things, but his drumming is absolutely not one of them.

That kick sound, however, is entirely his fault. ;)

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Man I only listened to We are the Nightmare, this early stuff is BADASS

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
It is absolutely a reflection of "Celebration of Guilt" - more than you may know ;)

This is very good news :agreed:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
The only thing that killed "We Are The Nightmare" for me was the mix. It was all drums and leads, everything else was overpowered.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
It fills me with joy to come back to my old thread, to see that Arsis might reclaim their former glory. When I made the thread 2 years ago, I had little to no hope that the old Arsis might return, but it seems that perhaps my pessimism was unnecessary, those tracks posted on the last page absolutely rip and if the the new EP and album are consistent with those levels of quality I'll be absolutely thrilled. I didn't believe that James could recapture his old anger, but those tracks sure suggest that he has.

While I believe that musicians can become happier or more comfortable as their careers become easier due to having larger and larger audiences as they increase in popularity (though perhaps not for a band of Arsis-level popularity, but Mastodon or Slipknot are the first two that spring to mind when I consider this phenomena) I think that it's important for the musicians to remember the struggles they faced and retain the anger they felt on their early recordings. When the fire is gone, it's so easy to write lighter music, which to me often comes off sounding less sincere and to force music out in an attempt to ape the glory days of a band, when the passion and honesty of the emotion from those earlier albums is gone is even worse imo. To my ears, on those two tracks, it does not sound like this is the case for Arsis. I don't know what was going on with Starve - the 80s rock influence was really jarring on what I was expecting to be another bombastic, searing death metal album; maybe James just wasn't feeling it, fucked around and just released the album as it was, maybe the 80s rock thing was just something he had to get out of his system. Whatever it was, these new tracks are like buckshot to the face, they are absolutely fucking brutal.

I've probably already said it in this thread, but I don't think Starve for the Devil is a dire album, not any more anyway, and that middle riff in the middle of "Forced to Rock" is one of my favourite riffs ever, but the album does not pummel the listener like a good Arsis album should. A Celebration of Guilt is one of the most scathing and venomous musical endeavours I've ever heard, any album would be hard pressed to follow it, but Starve just wilts under closer examination I think, there just isn't enough meat to it.

Also, the artwork for "Unwelcome" is fucking brilliant.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Darren plays like Darren. And he did before they asked him to join the band. If his style is too busy, it's their fault for recruiting him, not his fault for having the style he has. Fault him for many, many, many, many things, but his drumming is absolutely not one of them.

That kick sound, however, is entirely his fault. ;)

Oh trust me I know EVERYTHING you're hinting at and agree :rofl:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
We're mad about song titles?

That must be a death metal guy thing... :shrug:

nojyeloot

Reaction score
Well, the EP should be up for download HERE anytime now.

BearWaitingPatientlyForPicnic.jpg

Latest posts

')