What the hell happened to outside music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd be pretty pissed too. It's apartment life, not being able to play music loud comes with that. I don't blast music or play guitar super loud because I wouldn't want others to do the same.

Also as for work, I'd be even more pissed off. It's work dude, wear some headphones. I sure as shit wouldn't be able to get work done if someone was playing music through their speakers.

I'm regularly subjected to shit music blasting in my own fucking house. It's pretty annoying. Yeah some people are just killjoys but others just don't want to hear your (or my) music...and I don't want to hear theirs either. Kinda reminds me of the idiots who talk really loudly on their cellphones in the waiting room at the doctor's office...or any other enclosed environment...or the people at a table next to yours in a restaurant who talk loudly about their personal problems and never shut the fuck up even when the food arrives.

Man I'm grumpy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iamaom

Reaction score
As someone currently living in an apartment, my experience is that all the neighbors can be as loud as they want and no one will do shit, even if it is very disruptive. If I fart too loud at 1am I get a noise complaint taped to my door.

Dredg

Insignificant
Reaction score
When I lived in apartments, I always made it a point to meet my neighbors and invite them in for a snack. I'd have my rig on display and when the subject inevitably came up, I would tell them "I'm going to play at reasonable levels, but I can play my instrument well, or I can play terribly. How you express yourself with any issues that arise will dictate that." Never got a complaint.

Now that I have a house, I've had one lady come over and start yelling about how dare I play music that's barely audible to her when she checks her mail. I told her to write the HOA or call the cops if she cared.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I'm living in a small ensemble of inner courtyard apartments with only two floors (Think the Melrose place series, only european sized apartments). Since it's in Versailles, the most tight-assed-old-school-catholic city in France, I expected trouble but it's going fine, there are other musicians in there, the insonorisation is pretty good and we even go jam to each other's place from time to time (a pianist, a harpist and me...)
The only time I got really angry I went to knock on the pianist door:

"Hello, it's about your piano"
"Oh, I'm making too much noise ?"
"No, it's okay, but for God's sake hire a tuning guy, that's just horrible".

Also, construction standards matter. Said piano is right above my place and I hear it dimly. I only hear the harp in summer when the windows are open, and I myself play on the axe fx with headphones most of the time anyway. The only reason I'm not selling my 4x1é is it's so good I know I won't find another one if I need it one day, plus it's discontinued. (Marshall MF 280)

Last edited:

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I had this shit show day and then 4 or 5 hours of frustrating calls and emails to make afterwards. Then I just wanted to sit out on the tiny porch of my super overpriced box that I live in and pound some beer and listen to some Sacred Heart ambiently so that at least the whole day didn't suck.
Next thing I know I get this text from our apartment manager:
"A friendly reminder to keep our neighborhood peaceful by not playing loud music."
Keep in mind that I'm playing this on a G-boom box which although yeah I had it on full volume could hardly be considered loud. Sure as hell not as loud as the guys working on the roof 20 yards away.
I had the same thing happen at work just listening to Bootsy through my computer speaker which is probably the size of a quarter. This guy behind me literally goes off. So sorry! I forgot I was in a halfway house prison. Two songs.
Just a thought, but if your neighbors see a bunch of guys working on a roof they're going to put up with that noise because it's entirely out of their hands; someone paid for those guys to work on the roof and they're in no position to tell them to stop. On the other hand, your noise is, in the eyes of your neighbors, totally unnecessary and they can do something about it. "My Music vs. The Noisy Guys Working on a Roof" isn't the 1/1 comparison you think it is. Your neighbors aren't obligated to listen to some Sacred Heart just because you had a bad day and want to unwind, just like you wouldn't want to listen to their shit music.

As for the work situation, playing music through a speaker at work is bad form to begin with. Even if I liked the music I'd tell you to get some headphones. A bunch of assholes with speakers, even if it's only two songs, is how you end up with a situation where management decides allowing music in the workplace is more trouble than its worth. I worked a job where I couldn't listen to music at all.

Last edited:

wankerness

Reaction score
Jesus, man; did he hit a nerve there?

OT- This is one of those things where it's really just your situation. When I was going to college and on the apartment life I played music and had people over and generally made a lot more noise than I probably should have; and nobody ever said a thing. Conversely, I have a buddy who moved into a townhouse and the guy living in the next house over flipped out on him within the first month over the volume on their TV. Different people I guess.

Of course he hit a nerve, if I want to see meanspirited, ignorant political sniping I'll look at Facebook! This is supposed to be a haven! :(

Just a thought, but if your neighbors see a bunch of guys working on a roof they're going to put up with that noise because it's entirely out of their hands; someone paid for those guys to work on the roof and they're in no position to tell them to stop. On the other hand, your noise is, in the eyes of your neighbors, totally unnecessary and they can do something about it. "My Music vs. The Noisy Guys Working on a Roof" isn't the 1/1 comparison you think it is. Your neighbors aren't obligated to listen to some Sacred Heart just because you had a bad day and want to unwind, just like you wouldn't want to listen to their shit music.

As for the work situation, playing music through a speaker at work is bad form to begin with. Even if I liked the music I'd tell you to get some headphones. A bunch of assholes with speakers, even if it's only two songs, is how you end up with a situation where management decides allowing music in the workplace is more trouble than its worth. I worked a job where I couldn't listen to music at all.

Good thought with the construction vs music, I think that's very true. Everyone just rages and complains amongst themselves about construction noises, but if someone's playing loud music someone's probably going to do something.

Work tends to be people with earbuds from what I've seen these days, unless you have separate offices so it's not reaching anyone outside.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Other people are to be seen and not heard. And also not seen.

^While that's kind of a half-joke, it seems that's how a lot of complainers operate- when somebody else is playing music loud enough for them to hear, they think that person is being demonstrative and specifically infringing on their space. It doesn't help that some people really are annoyingly demonstrative... or, I mean, folks need a 1000 gigawatt system in their 15 year-old shitbox cars because they're hard-of-hearing.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
We've (as in I've) been blasting music outside with a decent bluetooth speaker ever since the sun came out properly up here in scandinavia. Motörhead, Obscura, Os Catalepticos, Napalm Death.. everyone does it on the weekends and some even during the week, so no one complains. Granted, it's an older suburb where the plots are decently sized so even relatively loud music doesn't really bother your neighbours. :D

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel so lost right now.

I've never had the cops called because of playing loud music on a boombox, and that was something I did a lot in the 90's, but I've had the cops show up to a couple of gigs before because of the loudness (only once recently, though, and we were honestly not playing very loudly). Obviously a full metal band is louder than a stereo.

I also got in mild trouble once for tapping my foot while I was sitting on the toilet. Supposedly, the downstairs neighbour thought I was doing a riverdance or something. It was around 1 PM on a Sunday.

So, records and digital? Digital being CD's? Lots of people listened to cassette tapes, too. Or was that a joke that flew over my head?
The toilet river dance hahaha!

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
As someone currently living in an apartment, my experience is that all the neighbors can be as loud as they want and no one will do shit, even if it is very disruptive. If I fart too loud at 1am I get a noise complaint taped to my door.
No farting. That's a tough one. :(

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score

Yeah I can see your point. But I also pay for my apartment. A lot. And I don't work in a tiny office it's more like an auditorium classroom sized room with only two other guys at night.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful criticisms everyone! It helped just hearing input from musicians who understand the issue and can respond credibly.

So, I decided on my solution:

Only earphones at work. If it isn't cool then it isn't and I have to get over it.

However... lol... at my residence which is my domain I have other plans.

I looked up the noise law:

No audible noise between 10pm and 10 am. And during the day nothing beyond the property line that exceeds 75 db.

I have a decibel reader and I'm at an average of 56 db 3 inches from the speaker. So I've decided unfortunately for anyone who doesn't like Maiden and King Diamond they're just going to have to fuck themselves off until I move out on the 26th. If I can stand to navigate minefields of dogshit and deal with dudes bumping hard at 3 in the morning, they can deal with a 56 db that's 3 inches from the speaker. Plus I'm just going to keep the old patio door shut and breath stale air while look out the sliding doors.

I miss hearing music out in the open. Everyone's. Dude's who suck and are practicing getting better ever day. And better. Getting good!

Country, rock, whatever. I feel music was meant to be projected out and vibrate in the air around us. Not just directly into the eardrum so you can have tinnitus 20 years later.

I actually don't think my neighbors called. I noticed a golf cart each time it happened.

BTW these are the same apartments I had to file a complaint with the attorney general to get my repairs fixed after over a year and their web interface just stole 200 bucks and they don't want to give it back. Just a side note.

Next and last rockin' today is this one:

Betcha that got a bit over 56 db. ;) lol!

I'm going to see if I can get my beer colder to make up for the fresh air deprivation.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I'm just going to point out that I live in a primarily Conservative area, being that I'm in the Bible Belt and there are literally no formal complaints about loud noise, so I don't think it's necessarily to do with political leanings whether loud noise/music is tolerated.

Now here's my situation. I work second shift, so I tend to sleep during the day until about 2 P.M. My neighbors have a generator and are constantly slamming car doors and fighting outside with each other. Needless to say, this doesn't exactly guarantee a quiet environment. So what I do, when I get off at midnight, I rev my truck as loud as I can with some good ol' metal on my radio once I get to my driveway. If they're going to disturb the peace and be pricks and fight outside, then by God, I'll enjoy my music. The first time they say something, I'll just remind them that cursing aloud outside is enough to have the police called.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just going to point out that I live in a primarily Conservative area, being that I'm in the Bible Belt and there are literally no formal complaints about loud noise, so I don't think it's necessarily to do with political leanings whether loud noise/music is tolerated.
Now here's my situation. I work second shift, so I tend to sleep during the day until about 2 P.M. My neighbors have a generator and are constantly slamming car doors and fighting outside with each other. Needless to say, this doesn't exactly guarantee a quiet environment. So what I do, when I get off at midnight, I rev my truck as loud as I can with some good ol' metal on my radio once I get to my driveway. If they're going to disturb the peace and be pricks and fight outside, then by God, I'll enjoy my music. The first time they say something, I'll just remind them that cursing aloud outside is enough to have the police called.

Haha! Ah that's awesome. Some poeple don't realize there is more than one shift. I don't like those people. LOL.

wankerness

Reaction score

Jesus dude, how can you live like that? Any neighborhood with regular redneck fights is not one I'd want to be anywhere close to. :( And holding the threat of calling the police over their heads as collateral for playing music loud sure sounds like a very small comfort!!

On the bright side, this post inspired me to watch a compilation of clips of Donny screaming on Trailer Park Boys and now I'm in a great mood!

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Good thought with the construction vs music, I think that's very true. Everyone just rages and complains amongst themselves about construction noises, but if someone's playing loud music someone's probably going to do something.

Work tends to be people with earbuds from what I've seen these days, unless you have separate offices so it's not reaching anyone outside.

It comes down to the right of an individual to maintain control of his home against false authority. If you look at the end of the thread you'll see the actual law, which is really the only thing that matters. What you have is an appeal to probability fallacy. So it's yeah that seems like it would be right to me. But it doesn't matter what should be right to an individual. It only matters what the law says.

I put the example of the roofers in because they were actually breaking the law pretty heartily with a truly repugnant sound as compared to orchestrated and professionally produced art.

The law states that in a planned development area the db can't exceed 55 which I can guarantee it did without even whipping out my decibel meter. Although I will if you want. I love whipping out my decibel meter. Construction is excluded, however since they are not building but repairing the roof their activity falls under the 55 limit.

I could have called the cops and they would have to stop. But I didn't because I know it's three guys risking their ass to feed their families. Consideration of the circumstance and showing appropriate mercy.

On the contrary I don't need mercy because I'm well within the limits of the law.

:pickle: Get this guy a pickle to go with his beer. He's got be hungry after sorting through that one! (by "guy" I mean me)

Last edited:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm regularly subjected to shit music blasting in my own fucking house. It's pretty annoying. Yeah some people are just killjoys but others just don't want to hear your (or my) music...and I don't want to hear theirs either. Kinda reminds me of the idiots who talk really loudly on their cellphones in the waiting room at the doctor's office...or any other enclosed environment...or the people at a table next to yours in a restaurant who talk loudly about their personal problems and never shut the fuck up even when the food arrives.

Man I'm grumpy.

But if it's in your house why don't your just shut it off?

Sounds more like a family issue than a problem with a leasing office. You know people talk and drive cars and mow lawns and do all kinds of noisy things that suck to hear. But when you don't have a recourse, try some earplugs or earbuds with some music you like. Since some people seem to love them so much. haha! :D

Your situation is a little different, because in mine I happen to be right. And it's a rarity to see people in a restaurant or doctor's office busting out the ASL.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
You sound like you are within your rights in this instance and that your neighbor is just an asshole. What's funny is that this person thinks the world revolves around him/her and perhaps a friendly text stating the rules and that you are abiding by them would be helpful with a friendly reminder that there are 7 billion people in this world and that you have to coexist with them sometimes. You think I like waiting in long lines at the grocery store while people in front of me write a check? No, but you deal. I would have more respect for the person complaining if they came to you directly and complained.

I don't think there is a bigger issue of "what's wrong with the world today?", there are just a few assholes that want to ruin it for everyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
')