What the hell happened to outside music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankerness

Reaction score
It comes down to the right of an individual to maintain control of his home against false authority. If you look at the end of the thread you'll see the actual law, which is really the only thing that matters. What you have is an appeal to probability fallacy. So it's yeah that seems like it would be right to me. But it doesn't matter what should be right to an individual. It only matters what the law says.

Well, being immune to consequences only applies if you own your house. If you're renting the landlord is perfectly within his rights to kick you out if even something so nebulous as "causing trouble" is in the lease agreement anywhere. But yeah, the cops can't do anything if you can prove it was under X decibels and you don't piss them off when they come over so they nail you on some other charge :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Well, being immune to consequences only applies if you own your house. If you're renting the landlord is perfectly within his rights to kick you out if even something so nebulous as "causing trouble" is in the lease agreement anywhere. But yeah, the cops can't do anything if you can prove it was under X decibels and you don't piss them off when they come over so they nail you on some other charge :D

Well unless you live where an HOA has power.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Jesus dude, how can you live like that? Any neighborhood with regular redneck fights is not one I'd want to be anywhere close to. :( And holding the threat of calling the police over their heads as collateral for playing music loud sure sounds like a very small comfort!!

On the bright side, this post inspired me to watch a compilation of clips of Donny screaming on Trailer Park Boys and now I'm in a great mood!

I can live like that, because I'm used to people fighting with each other. Plus, other than that, I've got a pretty good life that I've made for myself. I've got a bit more freedom where I live than most people think and it's right inside town. Now if you gave me the choice to live in town or in the country, I'll take country with a few acres any day of the week. Out in the country, people don't bother you. I guess they don't really bother me here either, I just like to minimize the chance of it.

Also, you say redneck like it's a bad thing.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I've been living in various apartments in different parts of the US for the past 10 years. I've only gotten 3 noise complaints. Once it was an upstairs neighbor and I was playing at TV-volume, but it was late at night. Another was a downstairs neighbor, but a similar situation. Once I wasn't even home :lol:

Generally, I keep it below TV volume and never have a problem. After about 9pm, headphones are your friend.

Avedas

Reaction score
I used to get a ton of noise complaints at my old place because the Chinese owners decided to fit a second illegal basement suite into their house and my new neighbors' bedroom right beside my living room, with the adjoining wall made of what was probably little more than paper and glue. Sometimes you can't win lmao

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Kicked out for no reason? Hm. I couldn't find the law for Texas online, but it doesn't matter I'm kicking myself out in less than two weeks.

I've been in loud metal bands for the last 25 years so I'm pretty comfortable with police showing up about noise. I think if anything once the see it metered and the fact that I'm lucid and right they'll probably be more angry at the apt man. I think she knew that and that's why she didn't bother calling them.

I can live like that, because I'm used to people fighting with each other.

Dude you wouldn't believe what I hear. Cursing and women getting slapped. Crazy stuff. My friend was like are we gonna do something about that? I was like about what? I can't hear that great. He's like that guy's beating up that it sounds like. I was just like no. He does that all the time. She needs to call the cops and leave. I'm not going to white knight in there and get shot.

. After about 9pm, headphones are your friend.

Absolutely. Headphones or low volume after 10pm. I have no problem with that.

I'm moving anyway. Other side of town. Something like 5 miles from work. I don't have to take my chance on the brickyard. Beautiful place. No patio. I get a sunroom. :D Almost twice the size of this place. Something like 20 years younger. It's a younger demo. They have parties and mixers and stuff.

And the truth is I'm actually very quiet. No pets. No woman screaming at me. I don't smoke. Keep the place clean. I work nights so there's zero noise and my neighbors hear... ...

No warnings. They've had enough of them. I am actually going to dig up a lawyer tonight. Getting rid of my furniture and getting new stuff. And I'm going to hit them with everything. Heck, I had to almost turn them in for fraud when I moved in. That's the vibe here.

I just wish I could see who's going to move in here after me. Hahahaha! Not laughing at the tenant. The office. Because this place was all I could afford with a bad credit rating. Credit rating is good now. Goodbye forever, losers. Enjoy sitting in a crappy office while the owners sail around on the boats all day.

And I'll still be listening to music and drinking beer after work just the same as always.

:drew::dime::drew::dime::cheers::dime::drew::dime:

Last edited:

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Usually my dad will keep his Sonos running throughout the house or his garage when he's washing cars almost every day so I'm naturally used to hearing outside music in general.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Funny thing is, no one over here gets slapped. It's a crazy woman and a mentally deficient man screaming what pieces of shit each other are.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
You have to be considerate to your neighbors if you live wall to wall or in such close proximity that they can hear your noise at decent sound levels. If you want to hang out with your neighbors and play music for everyone to enjoy, make sure you extend the invitation and concept before just up and doing it.

No offense but if someone just starts blasting music and it's loud enough to bother me I'll ask them to turn it down. But I also consider the noise ordinance, back in Florida it was 9am - 9pm. When my cunt neighbor would party at 11pm, I'd ask her to shut it off then call an officer whenever she thought it'd be cute to keep going past midnight.

Again, a little communication and compassion goes a long way. You can easily turn a neighbor into an acquaintance that you don't have to butt heads with because of this. If your friends lived next to you and asked you to turn down because they had a headache, I'm sure you'd react differently instead of just being upset at the state of your local community :lol:

Your best choice is to test your luck and your lease, hope you don't get kicked out. Then save for a home that's far enough from another residence so you can play music as you please. You could also invest in some very high quality headphones/amp, playing music out of speakers is fun but my current amp/headphone situation not only sounds a million times better but doesn't bother anyone else.

mpexus

Reaction score
Just because you can "do" Noise between a certain period of time, there's a thing called Common Sense that vast majority of people seem to lack and also Common Courtesy that also most people dont really have it or worse, dont seem to know what it means.

If you know your neighbors aren't home and you want to listen to Music louder like we all like, ok go ahead, but knowing they are and doing it and also knowing that its bothering everybody except you, and you do it anyway because you are "allowed" by it its being a dickhead and there is no other way to put it. That's when Sense and Courtesy enters the arena and stupid people seem to dont have it.

I know this, used to live on a Social Neighborhood's... and in those Neighborhoods all the scum (not all the people, but the scum) seem to think they are entitled to do whatever the fuck they want whenever they want, so blasting Dance Music at midnight because they favorite sports team won the game or because their stupid little retarded son was making its retarded 4th birthday was just the perfect excuse to bother everyone else. Then they get really upset that police gets called and dont get it why, people are just having Fun Officers... Its my sons' birthday officer... are you guys being racist to the "Hood people"?? Not to mention the retarded that places the HiFi Stereo Speakers on the Windows facing outside and blasts some Popular crap music to show the Ghetto dudes that music is not Rap/HipHop/Dance, etc, and since the Ghetto dudes did it last night now he feels that Sundays at 9 am is a nice time to put music for the entire block to teach the new kids a lesson... forgetting he is doing the same shit... And lets not talk about the dudes that go on a Bus or Train with their cellphones listening to shit music and everyone also has to listen too... nothing better than a days work than going home on a packed public transport with a freaking retarded listening to techno/hip hop/kizomba/lady gaga or whatever the shit it is all distorted by being on max volume on the shitty cellphone speaker.

I used to be on the beach or camping with groups and one would take the Bombox and we would listen to Metal, but first we would choose a place that we could be a bit more alone and when it started to crowd and if someone told us if we could lower the music we would, respect, common courtesy and sense... but doing it at 2 am on a car were the bass distorts all windows of the buildings is not the same, its being a shit head, being drunk is also not an excuse, cant handle the booze then dont drink.

From time to time we all did (and do) some excess, and that's fine, but not acknowledging that is the bothering part. When I shared flats, me having to go tell my front door room mate to lower the fucking TV/Laptop because he was too stupid to not realize he was making more noise at 1 am than he should and I was trying to sleep... that's what really bothered me, especially when I had to do it 2-3 times per month, one should had been enough.

I live on a shitty thin walls apartment and I know that if I sneeze my neighbors will hear it so Im conscious about my noise levels and after a certain hour (usually 9pm) I lower TV volume/HiFi Volume etc as respect and courtesy, even using Headphones when playing guitar I stop playing before midnight. If I invite friends/family to dinner or a meeting I tell my next door neighbor I will have people and we might do a bit more noise but if its in excess please come warn us. Also when I have to do drills or hammering something, I warn them that I will be doing it for an afternoon and never on Sundays. 99% of my neighbors care less, but I dont.

Last edited:

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Can't tell if troll or utter moron or both
People that are easy to indignation of their rights. The priority given to this indignation leaves all challenges to the sound barrier and public peace in submission.

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My workplace, when I began working there, was tolerant of people playing music in their respective departments. I don't recall there ever being a problem where multiple people in the same department were fighting over who controlled the radio. But, at some point, one of the upper-level managers decided it was unprofessional and mandated that radios should not be brought onto the floor. Soon afterward followed a policy banning the use of headphones. After that, there was some pushback about the headphones, since some people wore noise-cancelling closed-back-over-ear headphones as hearing protection, and those were okayed as long as no one was listening to music. Lately, a lot of folks have been going out into the parking lot and blasting their car radios during break times, which has caused management to raise a fuss over people going to their cars.

Obviously, the workers don't own the place, but I think many of them see this as an arbitrarily targeted way to remind workers that they need to be good cogs.

wankerness

Reaction score
People that are easy to indignation of their rights. The priority given to this indignation leaves all challenges to the sound barrier and public peace in submission.

Sounds like "SOVEREIGN CITIZENS!" That's an equivalent problem on both sides of the fence, aka a HUMAN problem. Not that it isn't confusing, anyway. Are you saying "getting mad when rights are violated" is a problem and that it only happens on the left??? Stop desperately trying to politicize this.

My workplace, when I began working there, was tolerant of people playing music in their respective departments. I don't recall there ever being a problem where multiple people in the same department were fighting over who controlled the radio. But, at some point, one of the upper-level managers decided it was unprofessional and mandated that radios should not be brought onto the floor. Soon afterward followed a policy banning the use of headphones. After that, there was some pushback about the headphones, since some people wore noise-cancelling closed-back-over-ear headphones as hearing protection, and those were okayed as long as no one was listening to music. Lately, a lot of folks have been going out into the parking lot and blasting their car radios during break times, which has caused management to raise a fuss over people going to their cars.

Obviously, the workers don't own the place, but I think many of them see this as an arbitrarily targeted way to remind workers that they need to be good cogs.

What was the reasoning behind banning headphones? I guess I don't know what you do, so maybe it was a safety concern...?? Doesn't make any sense on breaks, though. If people can go to their cars and blast music (wtf), then why couldn't they just go to the breakroom and put in earbuds?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to say why. It's more or less an interpretation of a written policy about being "alert" at all times. The understanding was that the argument was that the music playing was distracting. I find it somewhat comical, though. The guy in the office to my right plays queen on his computer while he's writing a report and he get's pulled into the boss's office for violating the no music policy, and the guy to my left sits at his desk getting no work done watching Infowars videos on youtube all day with the volume on his speakers all the way up and no one says a word to him.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Meanwhile there's freaking three guys with leaf blowers blowing shit all over my car that's parked in a lot with no grass clippings or trash.

+10000000 on this. Just washed the car, had it detailed and here comes _____ with a leaf blower, showering my ride with rocks, dirt, leaves, and who knows what else. The the king ______ comes right behind with the mega-sized blower on wheels just to be sure the paint gets scratched by standing there 2 feet from your car blowing more stuff all over it. WTF!?!?

What's wrong with a rake or broom? Really?
:argue::nutkick::pissed:

mpexus

Reaction score
The guy in the office to my right plays queen on his computer while he's writing a report and he get's pulled into the boss's office for violating the no music policy, and the guy to my left sits at his desk getting no work done watching Infowars videos on youtube all day with the volume on his speakers all the way up and no one says a word to him.

So its kinda like precise targeting... must be a nice place to work with "leadership" that really motivates people :)

wankerness

Reaction score
Hard to say why. It's more or less an interpretation of a written policy about being "alert" at all times. The understanding was that the argument was that the music playing was distracting. I find it somewhat comical, though. The guy in the office to my right plays queen on his computer while he's writing a report and he get's pulled into the boss's office for violating the no music policy, and the guy to my left sits at his desk getting no work done watching Infowars videos on youtube all day with the volume on his speakers all the way up and no one says a word to him.

Man. I was imagining that you worked on like, a factory floor with forklifts whizzing around that could kill you, which would explain it being a safety hazard AND the idea that headphones could still be used as ear protection. It's an OFFICE job?? Man, you have some fascist management. :( And how the hell does infowars man get away with that? That's so much more distracting than soft music considering all the yelling.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It's sort of half and half. I have a small office, and the adjoining rooms house testing equipment. We have two or three devices in particular that are potentially very lethal*, and infowars guy never touches those. I work with the more dangerous equipment, and sometimes the guy who likes Queen works on dangerous equipment as well, but, obviously, never from inside of the office. One might argue that no one ever had loud music going in the same area as the dangerous equipment, but I think that if you saw how this equipment was used, you might just shrug at the notion of listening to music whilst operating it anyway. There are fork trucks that drive around outside, and there is an overhead door for them to access our work area, but in eight years here, I've only seen a fork truck enter there once. The overhead door is padlocked 99.999% of the time.

The only instances I ever brought my own music to listen to was when I knew I was going to be doing something like writing reports or cleaning or integrating, all chores where a slip up means nothing more than having to redo some work - no risk of injury.

*not "very lethal" as in killing a person more dead, just killing them more quickly and thoroughly.

EDIT:
This is one of my favorite outside songs this time of year. Throw on your brightest Hawaiian shirt and spark up the grill

Ok - I believe you! :yesway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')