What the hell happened to outside music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd be pretty pissed too. It's apartment life, not being able to play music loud comes with that. I don't blast music or play guitar super loud because I wouldn't want others to do the same.

Also as for work, I'd be even more pissed off. It's work dude, wear some headphones. I sure as shit wouldn't be able to get work done if someone was playing music through their speakers.

This. When I lived in the country, I'd put my 1/2 stack and 140W head on the front porch in the summer, and wail away the intro to "Enter Sandman" a thousand times until my parents got home from work. When I moved out, I moved into a 270+unit apartment complex where the person below me worked 3rd shift, and the people next to me had newborn twins. I didn't even plug in my amp for almost 4 years.

My sense of entitlement for listening to loud music, when headphones are always an option, doesn't outweigh my empathy for other people's own rights to not have to listed to my music.

At work, I wear hearphones most of the day...but I don't even always have music playing...it's more to block out everyone else's noise and the office music on days when it's music I don't care for.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It's like an iPod that only plays small records.

Also... why did we settle on records and digital, but nothing in between those two?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It's like an iPod that only plays small records.

Also... why did we settle on records and digital, but nothing in between those two?

I feel so lost right now.

I've never had the cops called because of playing loud music on a boombox, and that was something I did a lot in the 90's, but I've had the cops show up to a couple of gigs before because of the loudness (only once recently, though, and we were honestly not playing very loudly). Obviously a full metal band is louder than a stereo.

I also got in mild trouble once for tapping my foot while I was sitting on the toilet. Supposedly, the downstairs neighbour thought I was doing a riverdance or something. It was around 1 PM on a Sunday.

So, records and digital? Digital being CD's? Lots of people listened to cassette tapes, too. Or was that a joke that flew over my head?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Was meant to be a joke about how we listen to digital (spotify, etc) but still listen to vinyl for some reason. :lol:

Or to be more clear, the joke was supposed to suggest that nobody remembers what a CD is, but we know what vinyl is, so a "CD player" is like an iPod that plays something analogous to a small vinyl.

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't see how liberalism has anything to do with this but I'd be interested in hearing your view point. Or was this just a satire post? :lol:

I would NOT be interested in hearing his viewpoint if it's not satire. It's guaranteed to be stupid and immutable. The biggest noise complainers are old cranks, which is a fact, and I think we all know the political leanings of old cranks.

The discussion about work noise is VERY true. There's nothing worse than the bubbleheads in cubicles who listen to the Pandora stations for boring middle-aged guys and gals. I became intimately familiar with the likes of Izzy the Hawaiian's renditions of two sappy pop songs, and Ingrid Michaelson, and the most wimpy songs of Neil Diamond (REALLY saying something) thanks to working with some 50ish women for a few years that always had to have their inoffensive stuff on and wouldn't allow anything with any dissonance of any sort since it would "scare away customers." :D It was so bland that it had me excited whenever I'd hear Rolling in the Deep. At last, something with some drive and character. I'd have taken silence any day :D

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I was thinking just in terms of respect to other coworkers, but if you're in earshot of customers or clients, that's not really the time or place to bust out the Cannibal Corpse collection.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Was meant to be a joke about how we listen to digital (spotify, etc) but still listen to vinyl for some reason. :lol:

Or to be more clear, the joke was supposed to suggest that nobody remembers what a CD is, but we know what vinyl is, so a "CD player" is like an iPod that plays something analogous to a small vinyl.
:lol: dude I'm pretty sure they don't even make iPods anymore

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
All I can say to the OP is move. Move to another place and hope you aren't around the same people that will complain at the slightest sound of your music regardless of volume. Well, either move or just tell them to go f@*k themselves as you're not actually breaking the law. Let the cops show up. Eventually they will stop wasting the time and resources. Overall though you're better to move. You can't change people. I am now living in an apartment with a couple and a kid above me. When I moved in the landlord told me about them and said, "The daughter is only 5 years old and very quiet". What a goddamned lie. Apparently her joy in life is dancing - in the house!! First time I went upstairs I *literally* thought the husband was having a physical fight with somebody. He opens the door and I'm like, " Is everything ok? Sounds like my ceiling was going to cave in and though you were fighting someone". He's Russian and said, "Ohh nooo. My daughter is just dancing!". Since then I had a final blow up after my landlord was being a pussy when I complained to him and told me to first talk to them directly. Really??? So one day I went upstairs and the wife answered the door. No matter what I said she just kept making excuses saying, "I tell her to stop but she doesn't listen" or "the building is very old and the floors too thin" or "she's young and when kids get older they become less active" - pffft yeah right. I told her, "If she keeps dancing then instead of a 5 year old there will be a much heavier kid and it will be even worse".

Want to move out but my lease renewal was right around the corner and so I figured I'll deal with Cirque Du Soleil upstairs for one more year. After that I am out!!

Rev.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I used to stay with an ex at this place with paper thin walls, where you'd hear the entirety of the neighbors lives. The people above us had zero shame. Or class. We turned their frequent shouting matches into a drinking game.
Sounds to me like The Toolbox Murders with Sheri Moon and Angela Bettis. :lol:

Sollipsist

Reaction score
I had the police called on me just once, years ago before I moved from apartments to owning a house. The cops were cool about it, and the officer even cracked a smile when we had to stop talking for a moment because someone rolled by with a huge subwoofer blasting from his car. I was itching to say "well, go get him!" but restrained myself :D

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
That's pretty much "apartment" living as I remember it.
That's one of the things I don't miss about having a home theater system on the 3rd floor.
My house has "slab on grade" foundation & it's nice to have it sounding killer, but with no complaints.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I would NOT be interested in hearing his viewpoint if it's not satire. It's guaranteed to be stupid and immutable. The biggest noise complainers are old cranks, which is a fact, and I think we all know the political leanings of old cranks.

Jesus, man; did he hit a nerve there?

OT- This is one of those things where it's really just your situation. When I was going to college and on the apartment life I played music and had people over and generally made a lot more noise than I probably should have; and nobody ever said a thing. Conversely, I have a buddy who moved into a townhouse and the guy living in the next house over flipped out on him within the first month over the volume on their TV. Different people I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')