What to do in this situation?

• Thread starter ibbyfreak13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
So I find myself growing to despise my "old faithful". I drooled over this guitar for awhile and my wife bought it new for me 4 years ago. I loved the original pups but decided to change them to blackouts, and its in drop c. When I changed the pups I fell inlove all over again. It's been about a year and I can't stand the sounds that come from it, I can't sell/trade it because it means a lot to me(and the wife would kill me haha), but I want to play it without getting pissed off. What to do? Any else ever go through this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tastes change over time. It happens, and usually doesn't seem to stop happening. Try another pickup swap.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Well the guitar is only half of the tone equation, what about new amps, cabs, and pedals?

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
@ max; I thought about it but having a hard time with deciding and funding l.
@ the rev; I do everything through my comp through modeling tons of amps, cabs and effects, just can't get close to what I feel I can work with.
While on this topic I have google numerous times but can't find anything about it, but does anyone know what tunings work ideally with sd blackouts ahb1s?

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
Also max I agree tastes do change and had hoped this wasn't the case as this has all I want from a guitar, so much so that I bought a second one that still has stock pups in D that I still love. Weird.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
I dont really understand what the problem is. I could understand if you were falling out of love with the guitar or didnt like something on it, but what you are describing is that you hate your tone. Try different amps, different settings, different cabs, different mic positions, etc. Thats the beauty of modeling. You also might just be growing out of less-than-high-quality modeling. I can understand that. I started using amplitube for a short time and thought it was pretty awesome, but after a while i stopped thinking it was the best thing and started to realize that it doesnt sound all that great. You could also try different impulses and such.

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
I believe you're right about tone, however when the that situation presents itself it almost natural to blame the guitar and come to odds with it. I think I'm going to put it on it's hook and get into my other 6 or my 7's for a bit and come back, maybe it's just frustration that needs to pass

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
Try different tunings, string guages and stuff like that.. those things have worked for me when stuff like this happen to me!

I think I'm going to put it on it's hook and get into my other 6 or my 7's for a bit and come back, maybe it's just frustration that needs to pass

This is a good idea too, but play something that is really different (to what the guitar you are talking about is) for quite some time before you pick it up! :)

Good luck man!

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
Try different tunings, string guages and stuff like that.. those things have worked for me when stuff like this happen to me!

This is a good idea too, but play something that is really different (to what the guitar you are talking about is) for quite some time before you pick it up! :)

Good luck man!

Playing something completely different won't be hard all my guitars are set for different styles of music, I like versatile instruments but if Ihave one for everything my wife won't let me get more lol. So I set them all for different styles and hope she doesn't catch on.

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
Seems like the big issue here is what your wife would do if you got a new guitar. Get a new wife. Problem solved.

/thread

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
Seems like the big issue here is what your wife would do if you got a new guitar. Get a new wife. Problem solved.

/thread

that or just lock her in the closet until she agrees that the best thing for the both of you is that you get another guitar.........ha ha ha,

but seriously......I'm kinda in the same boat (without the wife), I have a guitar that could use fret work.......that's one of the few things I don't trust myself to do let alone anyone else........its my first guitar, and has extreme sentimental value........I still love it and want to play it, but I may need to retire it until I can do fretwork...........moral of the story..........sometimes you need to let an old flame go (and I don't mean the women), for something a little hotter ya know.

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
Haha I think I'll keep this wife, she's great and completely supports and encourages my habit and obsession with music, in fact 3 out 4 of my guitars I have right now she bought for me lol. And another guitar is out at the moment but in the next few months I will have some more "studio" gear incomming that shoul revitalize me

')