What to do next for lessons and learning?

• Thread starter ScornEmperor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScornEmperor

Reaction score
I'm in a quandary.

I started played about three years ago. I work full time and am older (35) so I'm not playing to have a career. But I do desire to continue to develop my skills and improve.

I took lessons from Tom Hess for the past few years and this was good for getting started. I have developed a good picking technique and know a fair amount of things, but I have a lot of weaknesses and feel correspondence doesn't respond quickly enough to those. It also lacks the human motivational element I really want from a teacher now.

So I want to find a good teacher or method of learning that fits where I am. I live in Seattle, haven't really found something here that works well for me. I've considered other online courses or teachers, but haven't found one I trust to try.

Should I find someone to Skype with? Should I find someone locally? There's very little metal instruction here that I've found. Many of weaknesses are more fundamental though, chords, phrasing.

I'm not sure how to find a good teacher or what makes a good teacher. I have improved over the past few years, but I feel unfocused and lacking direction. I think a good teacher would be able to really deeply evaluate where I am and communicate that back to me in a clear way. I've done a few lessons with people around here but haven't found that signal that would make me confident about continuing.

What should I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Many teachers will offer you a free lesson or two so you can see whether your needs fit their methods. (I do and teach through Skype, just sayin'! ;) ) Try people out and see what you like and see if you can find someone who fits. Emailing/PMing people who seems like good possibilities is also a good idea.

')