What trem do I have?

• Thread starter Cyberi4n
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
Ok apologies if this sounds like a noobie thread - whilst I've been playing for 16 years I've only just recently purchased my first Ibanez! Its a RG7620, serial # F9913944 (which I'm assuming to be a '99?!?)

What trem would I have on it? Is it the Edge, Lo-Pro, Pro Edge? Or something else? The guitar is yet to arrive from the states, but here is an image from the eBay auction.

203.JPG

Also I'm confused by this whole screw within a screw issue for the trem-posts! None of my other guitars have this and to be honest the info on the ibanezrules tech setup has left me none the wiser! COrrect me if I'm wrong but...

If I want to LOWER the action

I simply lower the posts using the larger allen screw, then tighten the inner screw using the smaller allen screw.

If I want to RAISE the action

I first loosen the inner screw, then raise the posts, then tighten down the inner screw again?

Is this right? I'm used to setting action n stuff on my Jacksons but of course they only have a solid trempost with no inner screw to worry about.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That would be the Lo-Pro Edge.

As for adjusting action, the inner screw is a set screw. I assume it's designed to add stability to the posts. In any case, switch your definitions and you'll be fine.

Lower action: loosen set screw first, as it will prevent the post from going any lower.

Raise action: Simply loosen the post screws.

Once you've got your action where you want it, tighten the set screws so that their purpose can be fulfilled. :) :lol: On second thought, I would loosen the set screw first no matter which way you want the action to go.

Post #999. Must think of something good for the next level. :D

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
Ken is correct. There is a threaded hole down the center of the height adjustment screws that have a set screw threaded into them. What it does is, when tightened it holds the height adjustment screw in place. Since it is screwed all the way in until it locks against the bottom it has to be loosened to lower the action. Then after the action is set it should be tightened again to give the best stability. If in doubt loosen them when raising or lowering action. If the height adjustment post won't turn easily with the guitar detuned then it's probably locked. I always loosen mine going either way just to avoid unncessary wear. It's always best to detune the guitar when doing this as it wears the knife edge. When I talked to Ibanez the tech told me that on the trs trems it can actually ruin them if not detuned..On my edge trems I just go down a whole step or a half turn on each tuning peg works well to get it back in tune quick and not cause a lot of extra steps...

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Loosening the strings is not going to decrease wear on the posts/knife edges when turning the posts. The springs are still forcing the bridge at the same tension, the bridge is still in hard contact with the posts. The only way to "avoid wear" is to take the trem out every time you adjust it, which is silly. The posts should be able to withstand movement, otherwise they should be replaced with better ones, IMO.

The set screw. Some people, myself included, lock the posts by getting the desired height, backing the post out a 1/4 turn, tightening up the setscrew, then tightening the post, "locking" the threads in place. Best bet when adjusting action in either direction is to loosen(raise, back out) the post, loosen the set screw, then adjust your action. :D

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Project2501 said:
I thought the 7640 were the ones that came with a Lo-Pro?? :scratch:

No such thing as a 7640, AFAIK.

RG7620 = LoPro Edge 7
RG7420 = LoTRS 7
RG1527 = Edge Pro 7

Project2501

Malleus Maleficarum
Reaction score
Whoops I just realized what I said myself... I need to quit posting in my groggy state:wallbash:

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
dudes thanks for your prompt responses - I feel such a noob having to ask these questions when you consider I've been playing for years - in my defence this is the first Ibanez I've owned - is it gonna be worth the wait guys?

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, I have 3 of them and I like them better than any other guitar I've owned, including 3 Universes and an RG7CST, so I would say it's worth the wait.

')