What tubescreamer variant or clone should I check out?

neoclassical

FENRISMAW
Reaction score
Petty obsessions. If this is heaven, how bad is he
I have great results with a Bloody Murder, but you can't find one of those easy. I suggest some sort of modified TS.

The Bloody Murder was just an online vendor's TS9 clone (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com...d=16&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45) with some mods to the clipping and tone sections (change the .47uF cap to .15uF, replace the clipping diode with LED). Housed with Joe's paint job. You can do the same, or make the mods to your TS9.

-Jeez, I should start turning these out on my days off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny530

Reaction score
I like the maxons, either OD808 or OD820. IMO can't go wrong with one of those. blues driver is pretty good too.

Necky379

Reaction score
Check out the MXR GT-OD before you settle on something.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The generic answer (not generic pedal) is 808.

Always :yesway: you might also look into the Maxon OD-9 for a little more midrange aggression and a slightly smoother top end. The OD-9 is better (IMO) than the Ibanez TS-9 due to it having both true bypass and a couple of different components that give it a little less bass reduction with the same basic sound.

Also, how have we gotten this far without also asking what amp/pickups/guitar the OP is using? Depending on the amp, I know a lot of folks here can give some awesome and specific pointers that would also help in addition to whichever OD he goes with.

guitarmadillo

Son of Popsyche7
Reaction score
The Bloody Murder was just an online vendor's TS9 clone (Tube Screamer RTS PCB) with some mods to the clipping and tone sections (change the .47uF cap to .15uF, replace the clipping diode with LED). Housed with Joe's paint job. You can do the same, or make the mods to your TS9.

-Jeez, I should start turning these out on my days off.
I think it's also true bypass.

If that's all it is, it still is amazing. So I'd recommend a modded TS clone.

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
I don't think I seen any one that said Green Rhino....so Green Rhino

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Now that my Digitech Bad Monkey is about to kick the bucket, I'm possibly looking into a Green Rhino. Or a Hardwire CM-2.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I have a Hardwire CM2 and a Amptweaker Tightdrive. The hardwire is cool. Far more improved than a bad monkey I had. But I'm leaning towards my Tightdrive right now. That Tight knob really helps and it sounds warm and full.

Rex

Reaction score
And the bb preamp or chinese clone (caline orange burst) vs the Bad Monkey?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I think it's also true bypass.

If that's all it is, it still is amazing. So I'd recommend a modded TS clone.

My bloody murder also has an assload more volume on tap than any other overdrive I've used, which is nice.

JP7

Laughs and Shreds
Reaction score
Rockbox- Boiling Point OD/Boost this pedal is awesome! Has the great tightening characteristics of a great overdrive pedal but does not have that high mid push that tends to make some so harsh. I find that the tone knob on this pedal is super usable and the OD/Boost sounds really nice for adding on top of clean sounds as well.

PF Chang

Reaction score
190181708271-1.jpg

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Another OD808 vote. It's boring because it seems generic and that everyone uses them. I avoided on for a while because of that and tried other stuff.

Just got one and OMG into a Recto it's just nuts. It's a commonly used pedal for a reason. You might want to start with this one, identify anything you dislike about it, and then look for variations from there that might address anything you'd like to change.

')