What tubescreamer variant or clone should I check out?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I've pretty much given up on the idea that an amp that doesn't need a boost is what I want and admitted the fact that it is just part of my sound. I have a Digitech Bad Monkey already, and I like it a lot but it's not 100% there. My problem with it is it sounds rather papery/dry. So here's my ridiculous analogy for what I want. If the bad monkey is like a piece of paper I want something more like a leaf. So basically more natural and less dry sounding. I run the bad monkey as a clean boost with the bass at noon and the treble at about two o'clock. I've experimented with it like crazy and that's as close as it gets to perfect for me.The style of music I play is like a mix of Lamb of God, Nile, Gojira, and Behemoth.

My budget is about $150. I could go a little higher if it was the perfect thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

danresn

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you want. I found my Bad Monkey doesn't really sound like a TS tubescreamer, it just kind of gives you more of what you have opposed to bumping the mids/cutting lows.

I like the Green Rhino
BBE Green Screamer
TS9

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
i tried an old coloursound overdriver recently an i think it might do what you want. if i can get my hands on a mic any time soon i'll sort out a clip. I found the ts pedal to be not really what i was looking for. But the coloursound was spot on
Black arts do a clone called the black forest

Black Forest Overdrive (clean boost all the way to insane fuzz) - YouTube

or if you are at all technical there are various kits on the market

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
Aside from the Maxon 808, i actually liked the Boss blues driver. I didn't expect it to work as well as it did with a Hughes and Kettner triamp.

Reaction score
ep booster ..perfect for the amp that dosent need a boost..awesome pedal

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
OCD Clone made by Joyo is pretty kickass

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
The new mesa booster is supposed to be good, but I can testify that the tc spark booster can help get the lamb of god tone, especially with my mark v

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Aside from the Maxon 808, i actually liked the Boss blues driver. I didn't expect it to work as well as it did with a Hughes and Kettner triamp.
Great as a boost, and sometimes when practicing I run guitar > blues driver > head phones and get some pretty decent tones.
Another good overlooked boost is the metal zone, no gain of course, it's EQ section gives a lot of control.

But yeah Green Rhino.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
+1 on the Metal Zone. It's EQ shaping abilities are second to none when it comes to boosting. Crazy, right?

I used and loved a Goudie G-Drive. It's a minimum component, true-bypass 808 type pedal that lets a lot of the natural guitar tone breathe through the circuit. Company is now defunct, but a lot of them were made and you can find them floating around. If I had known that my infatuation with the Kemper was going to be as fleeting as it was, I would have kept it around. I don't boost often, but when I do, I like a lot of transparency.

Stresspill

Sig Addict
Reaction score
Thundertomate make some cool ass boosters, I have one that I basically keep on all the time to fatten up my clean signal, but shove em at the end of your chain and they're awesome for searing lead.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
boss sd-1

cheap as hell and sounds amazing. i preferred it to the 808 i had.

Agreed. the SD-1 was the last boost i was using before going digital and the best i've tried. It had a snarl or something to it that i dug. I've still not spent any quality time with an 808 though.

guitarmadillo

Son of Popsyche7
Reaction score
I have great results with a Bloody Murder, but you can't find one of those easy. I suggest some sort of modified TS.

')