What TUNING do you use on your MAIN 7 String?

• Thread starter Hendog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
I play in Bb standard.. because IMO when you play a lets say E power chord in standard tuning.. well it's sounds like an E power cord but when you tune it a half step down and play the same E power chord (not a Eb power chord) is sounds like "A FREAKING E POWER CHORD!!!!!" same goes of course when it comes to the B chord it just sounds more heavy.... but that is how I feel about it :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
Plain_Jane.jpg

BEADGBE

Cybin

Reaction score
Drop C with a high G on my main 7, an Epiphone Les Paul 7 :D
Works out well with an .08

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I've recently dropped mine down to GCGCfad, I am digging the umph it gives to the two octave power chords. Tossed a d-tunah on for a bit earlier and was enjoying being able to switch from D standard to drop C

RGD MIKE

Reaction score
I started in A standard for a long time, then for a few weeks, i was in Bb standard, but yesterday i went back to A standard. it is just more suited to me, plus i can use it to play solos for six string songs, and i like it better

Shanster695

Left Handed Shredder
Reaction score
My 8 string is tuned F# B F# B E G# C# F#

That way I have a standard power chord shape on the bottom two strings, and the top 7 seven strings are dropped B with an extra F#

Not to mention the ability to have 6 octaves of F# :hbang:

My 6 strings are all in dropped B

MatthewK

Reaction score
On a seven I always stick to standard or half step down. B is low enough for me.

stupidheader

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but this thread is only a month old. Ive had a hard time finding a good tuning, because Im a lover of low frequencies, but I also like to use the chords that I am familiar with. So, finally, I have settled on E tuning. That is, E-A-D-C-G-E-A. 3 and a half steps down. The strings arent nearly as sloppy as you would think, and its got a ton of low end. Oh, by the way, Im into doom, sludge, and stoner metal, so note clarity isn't a big deal for me, as much as thunderous sounds, and melodic, depressing slow melodies. Id like to hear from some other people who tune as low as I do about string tension? Has anyone had any trouble with their strings being too loose? My top string was really loose for a while, but then I tuned it with a tuner that picked up lower sounds better, and I found that it was actually way looser than it should have been. Its not bad at all now.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
I tune my rg7420 to A standard, with a mix between a regular .010 pack for the first four strings, then I use a extra light set fro the lower 3 strings. I love the tension... or the lack thereof.

Reaction score
FCFA#D#GC or GCFA#D#GC, and then FBEADGB, and then like GCGCCGC or GCGCGCC. I also had like ADADDAD and ADADGCG. Then some weird microtonal thing, but now my guitar is set up for slide playing and will be tuned in either Open G (BDGDGBD) or this: ACFCFAC or Open C (but CCGCGCE).

I change my guitar tunings more than I change my clothes, I think.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I play in drop A (AEADGBE), but when I get my 8-string, I plan to tune my 7-string to F# standard, or F standard.

Latest posts

')