What TUNING do you use on your MAIN 7 String?

• Thread starter Hendog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ginsu

Reaction score
I use drop A...I want a baritone scale 7 though, so I can use drop F#, since F# Minor is my favorite key...and since I play djent, I need an open low F#...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImpendingDoom

Reaction score
I play around from dropped G to drop A on my 7. I was suprised to not see many 8 stringers on this thread. Dropped E fror that bad boy when I'm trying to djent. When I want more melodic down tuned stuff I usually go to dropped F# or F# standard. Stephan carpenter FTW!

Reaction score
Main guitar : Bb standard, my band also plays that tuning
No2 : B standard, mostly used to play along instructional video's and backing tracks .
No3: Fixed bridge, and mainly used for playing Periphery, Keith Merrow, Sikth type stuff with various odd tunings,

Mukersman

Reaction score
B standard... stupid floyd...

On my acoustic though I switch tunings a shit ton. I have used Open C, Open D, Open Dm, Dadgad, DGdgad, open G, Drop C, B standard, Drop B, Cgcgce... lol I really wish I had a tremelno, or that I bought a hardtail rather than a 7620. Still love it though.

Erodrim

Reaction score
Drop A# on my 7 cause i can't intonate string over .059 so to get the tension i want i went UP half a step

but right now i'm waiting on my Scale The Summit tab book so i'm tuned to B standard

My main 6 is tuned to Drop B and my backup/test 6 is tuned F#G#C#F#A#D#

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
I was using standard tuning for a while but found I was going nowhere. Now I have my UV tuned to: Bb F Bb Eb F Bb Eb. (Basically DADGAD for a 7 string tuned half step down with a high Eb). So far so good. Tesseract seem to make great use of this tuning as well.

datalore

awkward soul
Reaction score
Drop A here. I need to know which notes I'm playing at all times, and I don't play 7 string guitars very often, so it is easiest for me to know what I'm doing when I can think of the 7th string as a duplicate of my regular A string. Makes transcribing a keyboard part or learning something from standard notation much faster for me.

steve1

Reaction score
ADADGBE, the other guitarist in my band is on a 6 string in drop D. it makes life easier

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
MIJ S7420: B standard with D'addario 10-59's (Q-Tuner Med-Z and BKP Painkiller)

Incoming RG7421XL: Ab-Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb probably also with D'addario 10-59's (planning on Lundgren M7's and Graphtech Ghost Piezo system)

izdashit

Reaction score
A standard. Then I recently learned that our bassist was tuned to BDGC all this time (Which was why something sounded wrong lol):scratch:.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
F#
B
E
A
D
F#
B
standard baritone tuning for a 7. Makes my riffs sound pretty dark and big, but I like the warmness of my solo's with this type of low tuning. btw this is on all of my 7's

maxoom

Scumbag of the Earth
Reaction score
Drop A on C7 Hellraiser
B standard on the RG

Spend just a bit more time on the Ibby.

')