What TUNING do you use on your MAIN 7 String?

• Thread starter Hendog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G# standard

It is pretty low, but I am thinking of G, F# or F, all standard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
Drop-D with a low A on all sevenstrings because we use this tuning in my band. i think it derives from before i started when they had sixtrings tuned to drop-d, and it felt natural to tune the 7th string to A when they got themselves some 7strings. this tuning is a lot of fun! :shred:

But i will be getting another 7 at a later point that will be drop-Ab, i just find that i enjoy that tuning the most, it feels more like a sevenstring than the drop-D + A does.

a_hub10

NANNIE DOSS!
Reaction score
I use drop G# on my 7. It has more chug than drop A and sounds more clear than Drop G on my guitar.

LMak

Reaction score
I play drop D on my six string but wanted a "heavier" guitar for the band I'm in, and I wanted a 7 string, so bought a 7 string to get both in one go. So I now use a 7 string guitar in a Pop Rock/ Rock band tuned ADADGBE

Go figure

LMak

Reaction score
^haha, same tuning as me! never heard of anyone else using that :p

Haha! I thought I was being original there! The low A is fun to play around with, especially if there is a breakdown I could make deliciously heavy with it :lol:

Also helps on one of our tracks that is acoustic. I can strum a chord and tap a counter melody on the low A for extra fun.

dantel666

Reaction score
On my only 7 at the moment I tend to favor 2 tunings. One begin Drop G, and the other being the Tesseract/Fellsilent/Monuments tuning Bb/Ab F Bb Eb Gb Bb Eb. I use 11-58 gauge strings and the tension at drop G isn't floppy as hell to me and when tuned up it feels good.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Drop A. I like that it allows me to play all my standard chords on the bottom 6, whilst also being able to do drop D style bar chords on the bottom 3. :yesway:

Shredenvain

Reaction score
I use .10-.56 A# F A# D# G# C F on my rg7621 and xiphos 707.
And .10- .58 in A# D# A# D# G# C F on my rga7. I tune up a half step on everything
because I love the extra tension and also has a brighter clearer tone.

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
I play drop D on my six string but wanted a "heavier" guitar for the band I'm in, and I wanted a 7 string, so bought a 7 string to get both in one go. So I now use a 7 string guitar in a Pop Rock/ Rock band tuned ADADGBE

Go figure

Same tuning I do once in a while. :agreed:

I mainly use AEADGBE. Dropping the Low E to D is sure extra fun. :hbang:

')