What tuning do you use?

• Thread starter lastczarnian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
Seven string - standard, half step down, or A standard. Half step down is a good compromise

Six string - C# standard, C standard, B standard, C is the compromise here. Drop A can get pretty sinister on this thing though...

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
Drop A or Ab on my 7
Standard on my LTD
Various tunings on my Les Paul and Acoustic. I tend to tune to an open G on my acoustic for some blues and D Standard on my Les Paul for Opeth.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Main 7 (1527): always stays in standard.
Fixed 7 (7321): usually stays in Drop G#, or standard if its being used as backup.
Trem 6s: always standard tuning
Fixed 6s: anything from Eb, Drop D, Drop C, Drop G#
Acoustics: standard and DADGAD

wants an 8 for F tuning!!!!! :scream:

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
been tuned down a whole step to A. thinking when i restring my guitar next i may only put it down half a step.

RazorPlarx

Reaction score
My Omen 6.....anything. whatever i need it to be. (fixed bridge :D)
the razorback. standard b tuning; gone to drop A to play psychosocial by slipknot once in the 2 months ive had it

Prometheus

Oh no, no you don't!
Reaction score
I've had my 7 in Bb standard for a while now, seems to evoke the right stuff when I play it. My 6 is in Drop A, basically so I can play Nile :p

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
i play in E standard on all my 6ers and B standard on my 7s. i've tried drop tunings and just never really liked them much. and if i feel i need a lower register i just get more strings.

lastczarnian

Reaction score
Very interesting responses.

I currently use Bb Standard but I'm thinking of going back to B Standard.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Very interesting responses.

I currently use Bb Standard but I'm thinking of going back to B Standard.

any particular reason why? i always wonder what makes people choose their particular tunings. obviously tuning certain ways makes it easier to play i certain keys, but i've found that taking the time to learn modes and all that good stuff makes it relatively easy to play in whatever key you like regardless of your tuning.

for example, one of my guitars has a broken tuning peg so i basically have to tune around that string. it hasn't really stopped me from playing along with any of my favorite songs in terms of soloing. riffing might be a different story but i feel like i could adapt if i weren't so damn lazy.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
I go back and forth between Bb(or Eb) standard and G# (or C#) standard
when i do Drop tunings, it when im in Bb or Eb standard, and i downtune both the 6th and 7th strings, so i get G# C#, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, eb, so its like a 6er in Drop C#, with a 7th low string

Bobby

Reaction score
I keep one 7 B standard all others are A standard.

I just like A standard it all sounds better to me.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
When I get a new 7, I'll be tuning drop Ab again, possibly with the high B and e tuned an extra 2 semitones down (like open G).

lastczarnian

Reaction score
any particular reason why? i always wonder what makes people choose their particular tunings. obviously tuning certain ways makes it easier to play i certain keys, but i've found that taking the time to learn modes and all that good stuff makes it relatively easy to play in whatever key you like regardless of your tuning.

for example, one of my guitars has a broken tuning peg so i basically have to tune around that string. it hasn't really stopped me from playing along with any of my favorite songs in terms of soloing. riffing might be a different story but i feel like i could adapt if i weren't so damn lazy.

I currently use Bb Standard becuase I have always used Eb Standard on my 6 Strings and I just carried that over to my 7 when I got it. I also use it because I play a lot of Nevermore and it just feels like a good comprimise between B Standard and A Standard. Being a 1/2 down does however make it hard for keyboard and loops to be added to recordings. Most keyboard player give you a strange look when you tell them the Key of Bb Minor.

')