What tuning do you use?

• Thread starter lastczarnian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
Bb standard. Sometimes I drop the Bb to Ab, or the Eb to Db.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

disk2

Reaction score
B standard.

Trying to get used to drop A, a friend I jam with is REALLY pushing the drop A thing.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
question: are there any advantages to playing drop tunings aside from extending the range a tad more? i know there are a lot of noobs that like to use them to play power chords with one finger as if they weren't easy enough already. (not a shot at anyone here for using them. i know nothing of your skills.)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
For now it's in Standard, but it may go to either Eb or D when my 8 gets here

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
question: are there any advantages to playing drop tunings aside from extending the range a tad more? i know there are a lot of noobs that like to use them to play power chords with one finger as if they weren't easy enough already. (not a shot at anyone here for using them. i know nothing of your skills.)

There are riffs you can play with barred power chords that you obviously couldn't do (at least not as easy) with regular power chord fingering. That, and it just feels more natural to play in a drop tuning to me. The only time I play in standard is with mellow acoustic stuff.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Drop A, although sometimes standard fits the bill just cause I know the shapes of standard better and am a stubborn bugger :lol:

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score

Ask bulb ;), The way he (and i) use it is to have the ability of playing wider and bigger chords, bulb also uses Bb Standard with his 6th dropped to C# for the same purposes, check his song Racecar, it's in that tuning.

as of me :cool: My 7th normally lays around in Drop G# for the reasons i stated above, also something i call Double Drop F# (which is provitional until i get an 8, but basicly it's the same drop G# with the 6th dropped to C# and the 7th Dropped to F#, amazingly huge and dissonant chords ;) ) on my 6 strings i never stay still on a tuning :lol: but the one i gravitate the most around is Drop C#...i don't know i like it the most :shrug: when i'm on a 6 i do Open G, An Open E Variant ( E A E E A E ), Standard Eb with the 6th Dropped to G# for octave djenting wankage:shred:, Drop C, Drop B, Standard D for DEATH Covers :hbang:, Rarely E and Eb Standard since i find that it limits my playing style greatly :rolleyes:, Also Standard D with the 6th dropped to A and many more :rofl: the only thing i know is that if i ever tour with my ''project'', i'll be a pain in the pain of the ass to have all those guitar tuned to all that :lol:.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Ask bulb ;), The way he (and i) use it is to have the ability of playing wider and bigger chords, bulb also uses Bb Standard with his 6th dropped to C# for the same purposes, check his song Racecar, it's in that tuning.

as of me :cool: My 7th normally lays around in Drop G# for the reasons i stated above, also something i call Double Drop F# (which is provitional until i get an 8, but basicly it's the same drop G# with the 6th dropped to C# and the 7th Dropped to F#, amazingly huge and dissonant chords ;) ) on my 6 strings i never stay still on a tuning :lol: but the one i gravitate the most around is Drop C#...i don't know i like it the most :shrug: when i'm on a 6 i do Open G, An Open E Variant ( E A E E A E ), Standard Eb with the 6th Dropped to G# for octave djenting wankage:shred:, Drop C, Drop B, Standard D for DEATH Covers :hbang:, Rarely E and Eb Standard since i find that it limits my playing style greatly :rolleyes:, Also Standard D with the 6th dropped to A and many more :rofl: the only thing i know is that if i ever tour with my ''project'', i'll be a pain in the pain of the ass to have all those guitar tuned to all that :lol:.

Wow, I'm sure if guitars could speak yours would be saying 'why, why do you torture us so?'. :lol:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I always tune in 4ths.

B E A D G C F on my standard 7

G# C# F# B E A D on my baritone 7

F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb B E A on my 9

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

i kinda get it but that made my head spin a bit. i think i've just been in standard for so long. but i was considering drop tunings and open tunings on my hard tail 7 just because i can. the ones with floyds will stay in standard just because i don't feel like dealing with that and i'm comfy w/ standard tuning anyway.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I always tune in 4ths.

B E A D G C F on my standard 7

Does that kind of contradict itself? Everything except for the C to F is a 5th? I know technically if you count it out as "B, C, D, E" they're fourths but even sitting here right now and playing the fifth fret on the B string is an E, so I'm not quite sure how that's all fourths?

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Standard and half-step down on my Strat, if I get another 7 I'll have a whole drop one and standard.

Bleak

Reaction score
B standard for me. I've been thinking about tuning it to a six string in C standard with a high G, but we'll see.

')