What tunings do you guys play mostly?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
DADAC#E - Usually use this for twinkly/jazzy mathrock with lots of noodly & tappy riffs & post hardcore
AEAEFF# - great for plebeian grandstand-esque & mathgrind style riffing (being able to bar the 3 highest strings to make a dissonant chord makes it incredibly easy to do those daughters style riffs and danza-ish tappy parts)
AEAEG#B - like the first tuning, but lower. Using this to write some "epic" blackened hardcore. Good for sludgy caveman riffs, but also allows for lots of pretty chords and postrock-y melodies.

Tfw playing math rock ruined you as a musician so now you have a hard time playing in "normal" tunings, but dammit are you good at wacky time signatures.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Nothing special. Pretty much standard tunings across the board, mainly because I just don't seem to enjoy how chords feel (or sound) when I play in drop tuning.

6-string: D-standard (the true home of death metal)
7-string: E-standard + low B
8-string: Eb-standard + low Bb & low F

And as far as string gauge I try to go as thick as I can for the higher tension, I prefer that feel on the strings when it comes to playing chords and the more techy side of music.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
6 String: E & C# Standard
7 String: B Standard & Drop Ab/G
8 String: F Standard

I haven't started writing my own stuff yet so my tunings are all for learning other peoples material for now.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
6 string - Eb and D standard
7 string - C, B and Bb standard

Not a fan of drop tuning but occasionally I use drop C.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I'm a 6 string player. All my guitars are Drop D tuned. I use my Digitech Drop to go further lower.

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
Currently:

6 String:
Open B Variation: B - F# - B - F# - B - F#

7 String:
Drop B Variation: B - F# - B - E - G3 - C# - D# (still trying to figure out the high string)

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
So far only E standard and Eb standard. If i had more guitars i would have shit tons of tunings.

I plan on getting a 7 string for my 5 year anniversary over a year away soon. Plan 9n having the tuning be G# C# F# B E G# C# so i can play some cannibal corpse.

I also am gonna be having other guitars that go from as low a tuning as that up to E and everythin i between drop tunings. I will probably have 1 floyd guitar for every standard tuning and a hardtail in every tuning and if i need to go to a drop tuning all i have to do is downtune that string

Mathemagician

Reaction score
7 B standard
6 E standard/drop-D

Also recently started playing in C# standard/drop-B on a 6.

Dayn

Reaction score
From top to bottom:
7-string: EBGDAEB
8-string: EBGDAEBE

Very imaginative, I know. They're my main instruments, the 7 has a floating bridge and the 8 has a fixed bridge. So they stay in the same standard tuning since I use them for everything.

I used to tune my 8-string to EBGDAEAC# at times, but the songs I was writing in that tuning were harder to play with the dropped A, so I tuned that up to B, and the scale length wasn't suited to C#, so I went back to E. Now I just play those songs with a capo on the first fret on the highest seven strings.

My classical 8-string is DAFCGDGD. So down a whole step, but the lowest two strings dropped. I wanted to play 'Para Mexer' but I liked the darker sound so much I never tuned it back up.

My 7-string electric violin is EADGCFBb. So it's tuned in fifths, but with that low Bb and F I can bow out some Meshuggah.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
6 string:
DGCFAD
AGCFAD (mastodon/neurosis tuning)
BEADF#B (at the gates tuning)

8 string:
F#BEADGBE
EAEADGBE
D#G#FA#D#G#CF (basically an 8 string take on karnivool's tuning)

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Standard tunings for 6's - just varying dropped steps, but always in 'standard'

7 string I do B standard or Drop A

Strobe

Reaction score
In a previous metalcore / death / prog metal band I played mostly Drop C with one song in D standard. Nowadays I am mostly writing in either Drop C on a 6, a half step down on a 7 (A# standard), or C / Drop A# on a baritone.

That said, the main reason for my having too many guitars is that I like variety, so I have guitars set up to standard (E / Eb / D). My 8 string is set to standard because anything lower feels too damn floppy (hell even standard feels too damn floppy at 26.5" to me).

When I was younger it was all standard, a half step down, and drop D baby, because I started playing in the 90's.