What was the BEST guitar you have ever played or owned?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Two of the best guitars I've played I currently own (no coincidence). EBMM JPX and Ibanez RGT2020H.

Best I've played that I've not owned.. one of my boss's 60s Gibson Les Pauls, a Fender Highway One Tele that was beat to shit.. those are the only two that stand out. I've played so many that I know I'm forgetting some incredible ones. The LP and Tele had very slim necks, loved them.

Played an incredible Martin HD28 the other day as well.

Almost forgot this Japanese Charvel San Dimas we had at work a few months back. Almost bought it on the spot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
a used esp m-II with a maple fingerboard that was being sold for $999. i wish i had the money for it at the time because it was simply amazing.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I go back and forth between my Parker Fly Stealth and my '99 Parker Fly Classic. The stealth has jumbo frets while the Classic has regular medium frets. Some days one feels better than the other. Both seem a notch more comfortable than my other Parkers and a few notches above almost everything else I've played. My bandmate has an 80's Strat that's got a pretty fantastic neck on it and is probably the most comfortable non-Parker I've played (just not crazy about Strat tones). My dad has a Gibson 12-string acoustic from the 50's that, while it's certainly a baseball bat of a neck, is by far the sweetest *sounding* acoustic I've ever played.

warhead78

Reaction score
The InfernoDroid, I never should have sold it.

infernodroid2.jpg

Jet9

Petrucci Wannabe
Reaction score
Best I own: an Ibanez JEM777vbk, shit plays itself. I've found an already magical guitar that also happens to be made from a specifically magical piece of wood. Also fret wear-there is none. I love my RG4EXFM1 and it's absolutely a close competitor, but the neck just doesn't compare and has so much more fret wear. In terms of 7 strings, my RGD2127z is the only one that I've especially loved playing.

dsc04076j.jpg

dsc04089u.jpg

dsc04091p.jpg

Best I've played but don't own: This one 1978 Gibson Les Paul Traditional with a Gibson-licensed Kahler on it. The thing was beaten up and the frets were nearly flat(although still well polished and crowned), but the action was set so low it didn't matter. The bridge was nearly locked because of how tight the springs were set and I could only get a slight vibrato out of it(no trem arm as far as I was aware), but the old style Kahler was just so comfortable for my hand that I just didn't mind. This was before Gibson started gutting the wood out of their LPs, and this thing rang like a tuning fork at any note and sustained for days on end. The frets were so flat that I really had to fight the guitar to bend a note, but I loved it and it really just played itself. Neck was also surprisingly thin, huge plus. I truly wish this was in the other category, but there's no way I'm able to justify 2 guitars in 2 months.

20120414161107646.jpg

Being the old, awesome slab of mahogany it was, it weighed about as much as this other, awesome beast that I was lucky enough to be able to play at that same store(a Guitar Center, nonetheless):

20120414155423601.jpg

:fawk:Haha, screw you 56k users!:fawk:

jairic

Reaction score
Best I've ever owned: '89 540S that I call 'the grail'
Best ever played: '02 EBMM JP6 - My brother just picked one up and it has changed my perspective a bit on guitars.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Best playing I've owned was my JPX, best sounding I've owned is my Mayones.

Best playing I've every played would be a toss up between some Jacksons and Vigiers but to be honest I only really notice playability when it's hindered rather than when it's aided or 'better'. I don't think much about as I say, generally if something sounds good when I play it I regard it as playing well haha.

Best sounding guitar overalls would probably still be my Mayones.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
My new "best" is the 1520 I just got last week. Like a dream......

broj15

Reaction score
as far as 7 strings go I'm really digging my RGD2127z. The over all feel, playability, and build quality just feels very right to my hands. As far as 6 strings go i miust say either my guitar teachers old parker fly - not sure which one exactly. It had a piezo and was one of the last ones made without a tremolo bridge - or an EBMM JP6 in mystic dream. Not only was it a pleasure to look at but you could just feel the craftsmanship that went into it as you played. If only i had an extra $2500 just lying around lol

thelarrinator

To Kill Achilles
Reaction score
Without a shadow of a doubt my RGT6EXFX, never has a guitar come close to matching its feel, reliability, sustain, tone, look or idk just everything!

However, I did just get an RGA121, the stock pups are shit though but i reckon that's a safe 2nd.

')