What was the first live show you ever went to ?

• Thread starter Andromalia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies.

1999 I believe. I'm 22.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skyblue

Reaction score
Shows count:

Dream Theater (2009 I think? might be 2010, too lazy to check)
Orphaned Land (2010)
Meshuggah (2011- two weeks ago :metal:)

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I believe it was '07. 311 and Matisyahu on the Summer Unity Tour. I was a pothead back then. Don't judge. :lol:

septurion

Reaction score
cenotaph, corpse vomit, and a bunch of other death metal bands in 95. first big show was pantera, white zombie, and deftones a few months later.

gstacey1

Reaction score
Silverstein
Dance Gavin Dance
From Autumn to Ashes
School Yard Heroes (<- First and WORST band I've ever seen live)

that was in '07

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Or mine LOL...

First show Ozzy circa 1982 right after Randy Rhoads died. I think Brad Gillis was the replacement. I remember being very dissapointed about that but I loved the show. Back then Ozzy was METAL! Especially to my 12 year old brain.

Most recent show was Nile and Psycroptic. I've very much enjoyed the evolution of "heavy" music over the last 30 years...well except for that mid-late 90s stretch...LOL

You're in the SF Bay Area?. I was born and raised there. If you were 12 in '82, you are about my little brother's age. Two or three years younger than me. I never got to see Randy live. Wish I could have.

I agree about the mid to late 90s stretch. That's about the time I put my guitar down for an extended period of time.

Weird, what was wrong with the mid to late 90s?
You had progressive metal really taking off, stuff like Meshuggah really came and pushed the boundaries with rhythm guitar and in general a ton of Swedish bands doing a lot of cool stuff with heavily guitar orientated heavy music.
And hell that's probably only a fraction of all the good guitar stuff from that period.
As far as I'm concerned from Black Sabbath to today, there has never NOT been a period that has been good for heavy guitar music

troyguitar

Reaction score
I'd probably be unable to count all the shows I've been to. The only one I have been keeping track of is that I still need an Iron Maiden show to get to 20. 20 Iron Maiden shows, that is. :lol:

:bowdown:

I've only seen them once and I regret not seeing them more, especially not driving out to one of the coasts for Somewhere Back In Time - that likely would have become my favorite show of all time.

troyguitar

Reaction score
You had progressive metal really taking off, stuff like Meshuggah really came and pushed the boundaries with rhythm guitar and in general a ton of Swedish bands doing a lot of cool stuff with heavily guitar orientated heavy music.
And hell that's probably only a fraction of all the good guitar stuff from that period.
As far as I'm concerned from Black Sabbath to today, there has never NOT been a period that has been good for heavy guitar music

Well: the mid-late 90's was fucking awesome outside of the mainstream with tons of badass prog metal, melodeath, and power metal BUT mainstream rock and metal sucked majorly - worse than any time before or after IMO.

SpottedBeaver

Ancient Mariner
Reaction score

There was a stretch there that good metal wasn't being played on the radio. The clubs and theaters that had metal acts closed down and there wasn't much access to it.

This was also the time where Nu-Metal and Rap Metal was becoming popular. I wasn't into that. Messhuggah wasn't getting any recognition where I was. I didn't find them until '03 or '04. Then Metallica released 'Load' and the universe imploded. All was lost.

Auyard

Reaction score
Madball, A Life Once Lost, Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying

I was 14 or 15 my younger brother went, a friend from school, and my mom. She hated it.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Testament in 2002, I was 14 or 15...It was one of the first tour dates after Chuck Billy defeated his cancer, wearing a Chuck Schuldiner tee....EPIC moment. :bowdown:

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Subliminal Verses 2005 World Tour

Slipknot
Lamb Of God
Shadows Fall

My first one was supposed to be KoRn in 2004 with Linkin Park and Snoop Dogg, but skipped out on it because of the supporting acts (said I would go next year) hating myself for that.....

This was the first metal show/tour I ever went to, when it came to atlanta. :hbang:

The technically FIRST show I ever went to though was maybe 2003, when I saw the B52's at Wild Adventures I think :lol: Still was awesome!

shredguitar7

Reaction score
first concert i ever went to was when i was 16.. saw Origin, Hate Eternal, Arch Enemy, and Nile.. i was scared..:ugh:

')