What was the worst guitar you have ever played or owned?

• Thread starter samdaman87
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
You know, this reminds me of a story I heard on many guitar forums in years past about how dads would go into their son's rooms while they were sleeping to jack up the action on their starter guitars to help "build finger strength."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boojakki

Reaction score
Chapman ML-1. The worst. Paid like 350 or 370 GBP for that (new, direct order). It felt like a concrete block and sounded like one + multiple warped neck, couldn't get it intonated at all every chord sounded wrong. After a year and a half or so (after I found it again in it's gigbag deep in some locker where I buried it) I took it to two different guitar shops to take a look and see if they can get it playable. Needless to say, there was no way this thing ever plays well. So this cost me another 120 EUR. Another half year or so later I put it on eBay ... got 70 EUR for it. Bottomline: Never, ever again.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
Ibanez Mikro

Wouldn't stay in tune for a single minute... Grover tuners, a carbon nut and saddles couldn't rectify the issue either

maxturbator

Reaction score
My Ibanez RG370DXL. I think I bought it back in 2007. The volume pot went bad after a month or so, and the trem was driving me insane. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Oddly enough, after a pickup swap/set-up and blocking the trem, it's become my favorite in my arsenal of cheap guitars. :lol: One day I'll own quality!

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
I had a Jackson Flying V cutaway... It was utter rubbish. I bought it when I was a kid because I loved the big pointy metal shape, but it just sucked. Awful pickups, fretboard was painful to use, neck was slow, and it was a stupid shape that made playing while sitting down next to impossible. It was also really unbalanced, I always felt like it was going to tip over.

Allealex

Reaction score
DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_516165.jpg

This.
I didn't even know how to hold it, and neck that was unplayable, really.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_516165.jpg

This.
I didn't even know how to hold it, and neck that was unplayable, really.

I assume you don't play many V's huh? not defending that guitar, I've played one too and was far from impressed, but if you know how to sit with a V you could probably sit with that.

haffner1

Reaction score
"Junior" by Clevan- I bought one of these in Thailand when I was on a training mission because I didn't have a guitar with me. The wood and pickups were actually not that bad, thought the fretboard is a little rough. The problem is that the metal on the trem is so soft that I couldn't even change the strings on it because everything just bent and stripped out when I started working on it. Now it just sits there. One of these days I will find a decent licensed lo-pro to throw in there to get it back in action.
6847770.jpg

Allealex

Reaction score
I assume you don't play many V's huh? not defending that guitar, I've played one too and was far from impressed, but if you know how to sit with a V you could probably sit with that.

I actually used to own an Alexi 600 some time ago, so yeah, I think i know how a V feels like, and for me that Epiphone was really uncomfortable even in classical position, I'm not retarded :lol:

lawizeg

Reaction score
Tried to play a Schecter Omen 8 and it was awful. Everything felt wrong and fake, totally turned me off from Schecter, at least their lower end.

BaDaML

Reaction score
I had a Fender Strat from the 70's. I used to trade up at the local music store (I have owned in the area of 50 guitars), and saw the strat hanging up. Asked about it, and was told "No. That one is not for trade, sale only." They were actually going to trade me a more expensive guitar, I guess they figured the strat was a faster sell.

So, I kept asking, but finally settled on an Aria Pro II. Just as I was completing the deal, the owner says "Do you really want the strat?" Hell yeah! I was super big on Yngwie at the time (this was around 1985), and what better than to have a classic strat. So I got it, got some new strings, and headed home with my prize.

Did a full setup on it and plugged it in. I went back to the music store the next day and got the Aria Pro II lol.

Churchie777

Reaction score
A LTD SC607 purely from a "picked it up didn't gel with it one single bit" view , the gloss on those necks are hideously grippy, EMG's just poo, and pickup placement is pointless and in the way for me

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
My first guitar, a Yamaha ERG121C.. it wasn't that bad for a beginners-guitar, but it's the worst playing instrument I've owned!

my first guitar was a 200 bucks yamaha EG112, but i still hold it up high. nice woods, nice fretboard, couldn't really complain for anything except for the tremolo. changing the pickups should make it a great work horse

')