What was the worst guitar you have ever played or owned?

• Thread starter samdaman87
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

samdaman87

Metal Cholo
Reaction score
I would have to say for me it would be a BC rich Warlock SOB. All that freaking wood and super high action when I first bought it was so nerve racking. Even after lowering the action the pick ups died within 2 weeks. I bought the damn thing brand new also :scream:! The satin neck was total BS, didn't even feel right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Fernandez dragonfly elite, maybe I got a dud? I really liked it and it looked great but the frets started popping out and the pickups never sounded right. The sustainer was cool though.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Guitar? A BCrich I had way way way back. Nothing could get it to sound right.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Guitar? A BCrich I had way way way back. Nothing could get it to sound right.
Care to explain which BC Rich it was?

It wouldn't be strange for a low-end BC Rich to play and sound like crap - but then again, low-end offerings from all guitar manufacturers share the same attributes.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I've owned a bunch of shitty starter guitars (mostly acquired for free), I don't think it would be fair to point fingers at them, as they weren't exactly built to be great playing or sounding. They were just built to be as cheap as possible. No shame in that really as long as they're fundamentally functional.

Though, here's my short list of guitars that were meant to be nice instruments but were total duds:

1) 10' LTD SC608B: I received it in a trade, and at first I was loving it. The frets were great, the neck was wonderful, and even the nut (which tend to be hit or miss, even on 600+ level LTDs) was perfectly cut. The issue, it was a dead plank. I tried close to a dozen different pickups, several pots and caps and still couldn't get it sounding any good. It was just so muddy and boomy, even after trying numerous string gauges and tunnings. The timbers used simply didn't want to be a guitar I guess.

2) 07' Schecter C7 Hellraiser: This one was owned by a friend of mine. There wasn't a single issue this guitar didn't have. The frets were barely crowned, with square edging. The posts on the TOM bridge were wobbly as all hell. The nut was awful. I spent an entire day working on it and even then I couldn't fix just how bad it sounded. I was bummed for my buddy and wound up helping him trade it in for something else at the shop I was at.

3) 03' Ibanez S2170FB: Wow was this one a dud. The route for the trem wasn't properly lined up and it seemed like the neck pocket was too shallow. It always felt like the action was super high due to the fretboard being so high off the top. The misaligned trem lead to tons of tuning issues. To top it off, it had the first gen ZR arm holder which crumbled after a week of use.

4) 08' Agile Intrepid Pro: Terrible frets and nut, and the fretboard had a high spot. Not to mention tons of filler. Luckily Kurt let me send this one back. :)

Those are the ones that really stick out, and I'm sure I'll think of some more. I've worked on so many guitars that it's really a blur. Also, don't take this as hate on any of these brands, every company is going to have duds.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Ibanez GAX70. First guitar I ever owned and wish it wasnt.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I started out on one of these un-bad boys, minus the sticker.
Was my holy grail for about 6months though lol.
As Max stated, it served it's purpose well.
blackmemphis.jpg

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
The one I wanted to love but couldn't get over was my LTD dv-200. I could not get the thing to play well at all. It was a total chore.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
This:

100_0726.jpg

Ibanez J. Custom RG8570NT. I loved it based on looks alone but sadly, that's not very useful if I wanted to actually play it. Exceptionally beautiful guitar, built very well and the frets were very nice, but overall the guitar just sucked and I bailed on it in about four days. No matter how high or low the action was, the guitar always buzzed, had a weird droning from inside the trem itself and when I did manage to make the guitar playable, it just sounded dull and lifeless even after different pickups/strings. Also, I could BARELY get the trem to standard E tuning with .09-.042 stings, and I had to use four brand new springs cranked all the way in to do it, also was a nightmare to get intonated properly. Horrible first J. Custom experience for me.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Had one of those $69.99 Musicyo Kramer focus 111S dealies as my first. You can imagine the horror.

Also the bridge was mounted wrong on my RG321MH. Something I should have caught when I pulled it off the self but didn't.

Pretty much all of my guitars have been pretty crappy, except for the two I had return or flip for money, my Epi LP junior and Douglas WRL 590.

samdaman87

Metal Cholo
Reaction score
All I can say is that any SX guitar with a trem is a piece of firewood. No matter how many times you dive on that damn thing it will always go out of tune!! Also having the trem on high action right out of the box was a pure genius :lol: Never buy low-end off brands...:noplease:

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Care to explain which BC Rich it was?

It wouldn't be strange for a low-end BC Rich to play and sound like crap - but then again, low-end offerings from all guitar manufacturers share the same attributes.

Can't remember the model number but it was a 3 pup (H/S/S I believe) was a metallic flake blue and had a kahler. Would have been at around 87/88

broj15

Reaction score
my friends "wood" brand acoustic. the bracing in the body was completely shot so the strings where actually pulling the bridge out of the body.

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
Bc rich cheapo virgin. Loved the slim fast neck shape, hated the ridiculous high action and the awful agathis sound.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Schecter Omen 006

Stock pickups were ass, I only had it as a backup for a few days, annoying look too.

')