What was the worst guitar you have ever played or owned?

• Thread starter samdaman87
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jet9

Petrucci Wannabe
Reaction score
I just smelt my SG ...I couldn't smell anything :( It must be broken.

Sniff the case. It's in the case. I think it's some kind of deodorant/antibacterial thing they put in the cases in the factory before any guitars are put in there. I should really ask next time I'm down in Nashville/Memphis

mustache79

I like to play
Reaction score
I had a Jackson Dinky bolt on with a swamp ash body an TOM bridge. The bridge was mounted on the guitar 1/4" too far back making the guitar impossible to intonate. Before I even noticed the issue I had a Duncan SH8 bridge pickup installed. I took the guitar to a licensed repair shop, and they informed me that I should sent the guitar back to Jackson. I talked to the guys at Jackson who informed me that the Swamp Ash body that my guitar had was no longer available but they would pick a very nice Mahogany body with flame maple to to replace the body and use the neck and hardware from the defective guitar essentailly making it a custom Jackson. I agreed and sent in the guitar. a few days after a sent the guitar in 9/11 happened. If you remember a fights were grounded and things were pretty slow and messed up for a while it took until December before it came back. When I got it back while inspecting it I noticed the neck seemed to shift a bit in the neck pocket. Took the guitar back to the repair place. The informed me that they would need to drill out the body holes because the holes in the neck and new body weren't drilled properly. After having yet another operation on a brand new guitar the neck still wouldn't set right. At that point I said F*&K this POS and traded it towards and Ibanez RG that never gave me an issue.

danresn

Reaction score
I played one of those new Les Pauls with the weight relieved bodies and that was awful. It was twangy but not in a good way like a tele. Honestly I preferred the schools yamaha pacifica, at least it had some body to the sound.

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
I havent played many guitars in my lifetime (only a teenager), however ive got two to fight it out for the title.
Firstly, my little brother recieved a guitar from Aldi a couple of months ago and it is the most pointless excuse for a guitar i have ever played. The action was terrible, the pickups were crap and the trem was shit to begin with, it kept going out of tune every time you used it, but then the whammy bar wouldn't go into the trem unit and that was that. I eventually tossed that guitar into a brick wall.
Then my friend Cody let me borrow his Squier vintage strat. It wasn't as shit as the Aldis one, but this one died in my arms after about a week of fierce playing. Two of the tuning pegs broke off. :wallbash:
At the moment ive got a Epi sg-310 and even though its a bolt on sg, it makes a mad sound through a fender amp.
Also at my school there's a purple/blue Cort performer series strat with Select pickups (by EMG). Man, that thing is shit. It fell to bits.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Owned a 3/4 size classical guitar as my first guitar. Thought it was alright when I didn't know any better but it sounded like a ukelele tuned to E2 with a tone knob rolled down.

On new-Gibson smell: man I miss that smell. I've had mine for ten years and it STILL has a cakey faintness that is oh so sweet. But not like it used to. When a student of mine brought in a new SG it smelled exactly like when I got my les paul. Couldn't believe it.

wrongnote85

Reaction score
954019942_photobucket_56596_.jpg

when i got this aboout 10,12 years ago it has acoustic guitar strings on it and came in this really shitty acoustic guitar case with one of those curly cue cables with the fuckin' HUGE ends around the plugs. when i first saw it, i thought 'oh wowzers, its a les paul! is it a gibson or an epiphone!?!?'

checked the headstock and saw this:
954019942_photobucket_56599_.jpg

hmm, no dice there. i wonder if there is anything on the back?
954019942_photobucket_56598_.jpg

nope, but there is some marking here on the BOLT ON NECK....
954019942_photobucket_56601_.jpg

and hey! does one of those tuning keys say fender!?!?
954019942_photobucket_56600_.jpg

but hold the fuck up~! check out these bitchin controls!!!!
954019942_photobucket_56602_.jpg

this thing sucks. and i still have it. noisy pickups, wont intonate, wont stay in tune. and i doubt i'll ever get rid of it. it has a bit of a charm to it, idk. :nuts:

Reaction score
Jaguar Strat

Ibanez Roadstar Series II RG450 (it was a love/hate relationship)

Japanese Raven Les Paul copy that belonged to my uncle... who filed down the frets completely flat. /facepalm

Reaction score
954019942_photobucket_56596_.jpg

when i got this aboout 10,12 years ago it has acoustic guitar strings on it and came in this really shitty acoustic guitar case with one of those curly cue cables with the fuckin' HUGE ends around the plugs. when i first saw it, i thought 'oh wowzers, its a les paul! is it a gibson or an epiphone!?!?'

checked the headstock and saw this:
954019942_photobucket_56599_.jpg

this thing sucks. and i still have it. noisy pickups, wont intonate, wont stay in tune. and i doubt i'll ever get rid of it. it has a bit of a charm to it, idk. :nuts:

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

GXPO

Reaction score
Schecter Vault - The C-1 APOCALYPSE Limited Edition (2009)The C-1 APOCALYPSE Limited Edition (2009) - Schecter Guitar Research

Made in China, just awful. The TOM rattled no matter what, the 3rd string tuner broke within a couple of days, the pickups were mud.

The action had to be set super high or it would fret out. Was the first guitar I'd bought in 8 years :wallbash: I remember wanting to quit playing after being burned by that one. Still gonna get back on the Schecter horse at some point. So... Reasonably.... Priced... :eek:

Reaction score
I don't know why some of you guys are talking bad about Fender Squiers :(. They rock if you know how to play them. A good example is the guy named Rich Menga who plays Squiers like a boss. Trust me, I've played nice guitars like a Signature Jackson (I don't remember the freaking name :squint:) and is not even as good as a good Squier. Get decent strings, a nice pedal/interface and you're good to go :hbang:

wrongnote85

Reaction score
I don't know why some of you guys are talking bad about Fender Squiers :(. They rock if you know how to play them. A good example is the guy named Rich Menga who plays Squiers like a boss. Trust me, I've played nice guitars like a Signature Jackson (I don't remember the freaking name :squint:) and is not even as good as a good Squier. Get decent strings, a nice pedal/interface and you're good to go :hbang:

i definitely agree. find one that feels good and then mod it how you like it.

here's a pic of my number 1 guitar. his name is Sexo

954019942_photobucket_72653_.jpg

wrongnote85

Reaction score
thanks. it totally kicks the ass of that POS les paul copy i posted earlier!

Reaction score
I have never liked a single Schecter I have put my hands on... something about them I just cannot get behind.

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
I owned a Steinberger Demon for about three days. I give them credit for trying, but the EMG 81/85 pair killed any clarity the guitar could've had in drop Bb, even with the 28" scale and all maple construction.

Oh, and the neck was a baseball bat, and the fretboard felt like a bowling ball.

')