What was the worst guitar you have ever played or owned?

• Thread starter samdaman87
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

texshred777

Reaction score
I don't play and or consequently buy shitty guitars....heck, even the Squire I started out on was halfway decent.

They are! I played a small blues gig with one and it payed great. I might have made a much needed per gig setup but it played fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Haven't played any of the RGD's, but perhaps the longer scale helps with the cramped feeling? I know it's not much longer than a typical Ibanez but that's all I got. Well that and Ibanez is known to list false stats on their guitars. The Jem7DBK I had did not have a Jem neck profile like the 7VWH as listed on the Ibanez site. It was much closer to the wizard on my RG570.

Ironically the Jem7DBK was always listed as having the Super Wizard profile in all the European literature... Just like the JEM DNA...

It's not that Ibanez is known for listing false stats, they're known for simply getting their promo stuff wrong...

7stringDemon

Reaction score
My '88 RG760. Worst sounding guitar I've ever owned (because Ibanez made the body out of fudging saw dust and glue).

Plays great though!

Overtone

Reaction score
A 90's model LP Jr someone in my highschool had. Shit hardware, shit sound, shit playability, shit looks.

TylerRay

LP Addict
Reaction score
Dean Razorback V. Bought it back in like 07 or 08. I dropped like $1,200 on it, which was a lot when I was 15 haha. the thing played like shit out of the box. the action was SOOO high! The volume knob took a shit within a few weeks also. I tried to like it, but just couldn't. sold it for $500...

DeathPaupiette

Master-baiter.
Reaction score
Ibanez GRX40, I borrowed it from a friend of mine while my other 6 was at the tech for pickup swap. The neck wasn't that bad, but the pickups sounded like ass, no punch or definition whatsoever, you couldn't set the intonation/action, the tuners are totally inefficient, and the neck joint looked more like a breeze block
breeze_block.gif
than a proper joint. The so-called rosewood fretboard on this thing still sends shivers down my spine ...

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Id say the worst for me is a toss up between a Rickenbacker (not sure what model)
And Mark Tremonti's signature PRS white guitar right.
p1_unnf20guk_so.jpg

The PRS just didn't feel right, or sound right to me. For $3000 (the price a friend payed for it) I am severely un-impressed. My $999 Schecter Loomis smokes it.

Not my style I guess.

Axe Cop

Reaction score
An acrylic BC Rich Warlock. Everything was wrong with that guitar and proves guitars need to be made of wood. Luckily I didn't buy the guitar, it was given to me as payment for a debt someone owed me. I sold it to a pawn shop for like $100. I hated it so much I honestly would have taken 1/2 that.

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
an ltd snakebite
I just acquired one and I love it :lol: Different strokes, I guess!

My worst was a Deltatone RR-type V:

00X0X_jzeKQCu4x5G_600x450.jpg

I sold it to a friend who traded it in to our local shop last year. Forgot all about it until it turned back up in his shop last week. Went and played it for shiggles, and good god, it's worse than I remember.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
I once had a Korean-made Kramer Striker 100ST from the late 80s with a relatively decent neck but a horrible plywood body. The looks were okay, but what made the thing virtually unplayable was (a) the bridge pickup that was microphonic as hell ("wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee") and (b) the single-locking, yes you heard me, single-locking Floyd Rose tremolo. The strings with their ball-ends were fed through the saddles with no lock-down mechanism at the bridge whatsoever. This reduces Floyd's idea to absurdity if you ask me.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
worst one I have ever owned was a Dean Razorback. I bought it because i wanted one of every guitar Dime designed, but it was just too terrible to keep around. action was way too high, fret buzz out the ass, and was ....in' impossible to intonate. I owned it for about a month, then sold it off at a significant loss.

BC-Rich Warlock 7 strings Platinum series :squint:

I own both a P7 and a Platinum Pro Warlock 7, and they both feel sweet to me.

An acrylic BC Rich Warlock. Everything was wrong with that guitar and proves guitars need to be made of wood. Luckily I didn't buy the guitar, it was given to me as payment for a debt someone owed me. I sold it to a pawn shop for like $100. I hated it so much I honestly would have taken 1/2 that.

at the moment I have four BC Rich acrylics (2 Warlocks, a Mockingbird, and a Bich), and they all play and feel great...perhaps yours was just a lemon? The older ones (like mine) were made in Korea and had excellent QC, towards the end of the run they seem to have been made in China, and had a pretty significant slip in quality.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Ibanez RG prestige Offspring signature maybe '05' or something...It's a purple piece of "wood"... maybe plastic...Run away if you see it.
I had a lot of bad Ibbys but this one ...even a barbecue will not take it
Zero sound and harder to play than a poor 200$ BC rich which felt from third floor

vangkm

Reaction score
I once played this Baldwin (Gibson) SG at Best Buy cause I was waiting for someone and I was bored. The demo guitar they had out was the worst guitar I've ever tried to play. The high e strings was completely off the fretboard! It was unplayable.

Tope

rabblerabblerabblera
Reaction score
Worst guitar I've ever owned was a USA made G&L ASAT Special. A daphne blue, tele style guitar with two P90s. I got it second hand on Ebay for £400, a great deal I thought considering they cost 3x that new (standard single coil versions of the same guitar seemed to be going for £700-800 at the time too).

The first time I played it I was struck by how uncomfortable it was. The bridge was so chunky and sat so far from the guitar's body that the neck pocket was made shallow to compensate, pushing the neck further from the body than I'd experienced on a guitar before or since. This made for a really awkward playing stance.
The fret ends were really rough, the neck overly thick and cumbersome, the pickups, flubby, dark and lifeless. All in all a disaster with strings.

Within two hours of receiving it, I took it to the nearest good guitar shop and part ex'd it for a pretty black hardtail Musicman Silhouette. I thought they were going to laugh me out of the shop when I opened the case, but they offered me £400 for it, exactly what I originally paid. Needless to say I sealed the deal as quickly as I could without seeming too happy.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Epiphone Annihilation V.
I didnt own it, just picked it up in a store after reading about it. Maybe it was a dud, but was the worst feeling/sounding guitar I've ever played.

SamRussell

Badass
Reaction score
My Behringer starter guitar. Can't really complain as it was £100 for the guitar and the amp though :lol:

')