What was your first guitar?

• Thread starter LeffJoomis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J7string

Reaction score
I had some Yamaha HSS Strat knock off. It didn't play the best, and I didn't know jack about setting guitars up, but it got me to wear I needed to go. I still have it lying around somewhere...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
A white Behringer iAxe 393 that had USB connectivity. It was a decent little thing and helped me develop my love for thicker strings and my hate for plain strings about .020

Reaction score
I had an Ibanez GSZ120, which was a surprisingly nice guitar for the buck. It's still around the house here.

ibanez-gsz120-silver-375729.jpg

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
My first axe, I bought it in 1994 at age 19 after long hours at minimum wage. Still one of my favorites and the only guitar I am emotionally attached to. When I bought it, most people thought I completely lost it, buying this as a first axe for that much money (Wut? No USA Les Paul?) but I guess I've proven them wrong by now :)

DSC_0320_zpscfd31145.jpg

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I had a Squier HSS strat, bought new in 1993. Off white. I ended up replacing the pickups with a Gibson 59 humbucker, Hot Rails and some kind of lace sensor or something for the middle. Sold it to a pawn shop six years later for less than the what the pickups were worth.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
Ibanez GRX 40.. pretty sure that's the name. Anyway, awesome guitar for entry level. If I pick it up now I still say, wow I had a really good guitar when I first started playing.. 10 years later I still have it.. and I can't seem to get off the stupid guitar hero sticker I put on it.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
I played my dad's acoustic guitar (unknown make/model) for a couple months when I first started out, until I broke it.

He had used that guitar since the 60s when he used to play skiffle and light rock n roll (opened for several noteworthy bands back in the day) and the guitar was a big part of his past and how he fell in love with my mum. I was playing with it around the age of 15 before I stood it on my foot to close the door. It simply teetered over and crashed against the floor, cracking the neck at the headstock.

I have never been more broken-hearted in my life. The look on his face when I told him isn't one I'll forget in a hurry.

I grew up playing my dad's acoustic guitar too. Luckily I still have it, and didn't need to step on it as yet! Too much sentimental values with it. My earliest memories in life have that guitar in them.

He hasn't seen me play in 10 years since he attended our high school jazz band concert, and exactly doesn't know that I didn't stop playing and that I can somewhat 'shred'. I'm curious to see his reaction when the opportunity comes.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
My first was an Epi Strat I borrowed from my dad. (This isn't mine, I don't have any pictures of it)

original

Then I found out Steve Vai and Ynwie have scalloped frets so if I do that I'll be better at guitar. I kind of want to pick up another one just because people looked at me like I was crazy when I said I had an Epiphone Strat.

My first guitar that was actually mine was a Washburn Idol.

DSCN1833.jpg

I'll let you guess from the picture who my guitar hero was that the time(I'll give you a hint, I had some giant leather wristbands to go with it). It's been sitting in it's case for probably 5 years because I didn't know when you put in new pickups you don't just melt solder over the wire. I keep meaning to put new pickups in it but every time I have the money for new ones I find a new gun I need. But honestly, for being probably $400 it's one of the top guitars I've ever played. Even though the pickups don't work, from time to time I'll take it out and tune it by ear and still play it.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
a walmart made by fender starcaster , like even below squire level haha

pott

Reaction score
Charvel M4, 9 years ago. I didn't get why people bought Squiers when there are so many great axes for the same price second hand. It had a Floyd: first thing I did was take it apart, learn how it works, put it back together. I sold it last year because the neck was giving me cramps and I have no use for a Floyd, but man it was a GREAT guitar. Never had a hint of fret buzz on it, adjusted the neck twice in 8 years.

eddygdk

Reaction score
My first guitar was an Ibanez gio, it was one of the starter packs that Ibanez made. i love it and i still have it.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
The first guitar I played was actually my dad's wonderful MIJ blue flower Fender Tele from the mid-80s, but when I eventually got my own guitar it was my trusty Dean Baby ML, which guided me through my early fiddlings of Smoke on the Water and my misguided attempts at Dimebag solos.

It doesn't get played so much any more, and it sits forlornly in its gig bag, tuned to open C. I should really get it out again - it's got a nice neck, and considering it's a totally stock guitar that I got for £100 the pickups are really, really loud and pretty good-sounding. I'd quite like to strip the paint and oil-finish it, I've seen another low-end Dean on here that had similar treatment and looked really good. I've never liked the metallic silver anyway.

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
Harley Benton/Washburn wannabe punkcaster(weird horns) with paul stanley's face on it even though I don't like KISS.Neck was like half a tree thick,pickups were winded like 20 times each(REALLY weak),tuners really sucked as well.Action was like 1-2 cm high.I smashed it to pieces a while ago actually.Wanted to see how easy it is to break a guitar.

BaptizedBurning

Reaction score
I started out by playing bass with a Hamer Slammer. Then I got an Aspen single cut for cheap from a pawn shop and played it with a 1st gen POD through my little bass amp. Basically a Hondo. It was like this one: Aspen Guitar 70's Copy of L P Lawsuit Era | eBay

I ended up selling it back to the same pawn shop for $40. The guy at the pawn shop claimed he was an expert on Aspen Guitars :lol:, but I'm sure he was bullshitting. I kinda wish I still had it now.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Its the one on the left:

27zaql2.jpg

Its called a Montana and was manufactured by Kaman Enterprises in Romania. I think it was $80- $90. This picture is recent and I want to put some new strings on it after 10+ years of sitting in a closet. We will see how it holds up!:cool:

Latest posts

')