What was your first guitar?

• Thread starter Mattayus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't sure which section to put this in but i guess it is general music discussion as it's neither 6 or 7 string specific!

Mine was this sucker right here -

Eggle&Sidewinder&

but in white. Some tiny British company called Marlin that doesn't even exist anymore!

i had no clue about locking nuts and had to get a mate to come round everytime i needed to tune it :lol:

It's gotta be the heaviest fuckin guitar i've ever held in my life! But it did me well for the first couple of years until i got a Jackson!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Tanglewood Strat copy, bought it off my cousin. Action was high and he'd set it up with 11's, what a way to start!

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
A Squier Strat which played suprisingly well, which I sold to a mate, then a few years later offered to buy it back......but despite the fact he doesn't play it, he says one day he'll do something with it......

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
$120 Yamaha acoustic. It actually wasn't a bad first guitar, but some bastard stole it later. :mad:

jaxadam

Reaction score
I think it was a Hondo explorer shaped type deal, or maybe one of those cheap ass sears guitars with the speaker built in. It was a really long time ago, but I think the hondo explorer may have been my first "real" guitar, that my brother decided to put his foot through right at the neck pocket.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
A plywood strat copy from Argos.:lol: It was a piece of shit, but I loved it!

Played it for a few years, then upgraded to a slightly better strat copy by Tanglewood (which is still in the collection, minus its frets), and then finally my Jackson (which I also still have, and is about to get an X2N slapped in the bridge).

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Aria STG strat copy...which has since changed colours twice (first dark metallic green, then bright fucking orange) has had a killswitch installed and the neck replaced with one that has a maple fretboard instead of rosewood :)...

In short, it looks fuck all like it did originally :lol:

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
My first guitar was a Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special, and surprisingly was a pretty decent guitar, though I had to sell it to get my Samick, which was an infinitely better guitar. I wouldn't mind picking another one of those up and modding the hell out of it, though.

Makelele

Reaction score
A now about 40 year old Yamaha acoustic (it's my moms). My first electric guitar was a Ibanez GRX20, which was an okay guitar for its price. The thing that sucked about it was the action, which was really high. I sold it to my school, and bought my beloved Ibanez 540SLTD.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Mine was a strat copy(Hohner i think?) i hated it cause it had a weak sound so i gave up playing but 2 years later I bought a Aria Pro 2!
It was an incredible guitar that I modded the hell out of with a Wilkinson trem a Hipshot D-tuner and Duncans the end result was something akin to the Page Hamilton ESP...................................I miss it so much!

On a side note I have a friend who actually collects Marlin guitars! :lol:

Labrie

King of the Swing
Reaction score
Mexican fat strat was my first sixer and an ibanez ax7221 was my fist seven. I still own both and love them very much. I don't think I'd ever sell any of my guitars.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
First guitar was a Sears acoustic that was destroyed in a fight with my brother when I was probably 8 or 9. My first "real" guitar was a cheap Peavey Telecaster copy when I was 12. I actually kinda miss it. :(

voiceguitar

Reaction score
72 fender strat with a different year skinnyer profile fender neck similar to a 335. twas my pops- im not a dinosaur btw, im only 17 ahahaha :p

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Well, the first instrument i ever even called guitar was my dads 26 year old acoustic Yamaha, that i still have, though now it's tuned to standard B since i don't know how to change nylon stringed acoustic strings :lol: It's my main ERG! :agreed:

For first electric guitar it has to be Esp Ltd Viper-100FM. I'm still looking for a cheap Ltd like that, since for some strange reason i loved that guitar to pieces :wub: Me and my great plan, i went and changed it for a Marshall G50RCD solid state 50w combo that i still have... I'm thinking of getting a Ltd H-50, and change EMG 85 (in white) to bridge and rip all the other electronics out :lol:

The Breakdown

Sean What I Adore
Reaction score
I dont know if they make these anymore, or where to get them because i've never seen one since. About 13 years ago I bought my first guitar for $140... it was a PREMIER..I do remember that. It was a strat style...it was like dark cherry red with some sparkles..hahaha

rediculous

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a Hyundai (as in the car company) superstrat. Transparent green burst over veneer and plywood. Floyd (single locking), HSS, 24 frets ....i put a dimarzio fred in it within 3 months because that's what Joe Satriani had so it had to be good. Somewhere I have a photo of me sawing the headstock up and doing the ESP logo on it.

')