What would be some good 5 string basses in the 0-$500 price range?

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
The only reason Im doing this is because I have NO CLUE on brands, specs, pickups, etc, to look for when we are talking bass guitar.

So the only think I can do is compare used to new basses to see how they are priced. But still there are the specs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A Bass is just a bigger guitar for all intensive purposes, so you can use what you already know about guitars and apply that pretty easily.

If you're willing to save up a little more, or go used, pick up an Ibanez SR505. It's easily one of the best basses under $1K. They go for $580 new, but you can find used ones for as little as $300.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Related question: What are my options for a 5-string with a wide, flat neck, decent pickups and a preferrably natural or stained finish besides the awesome BTB series ( I'm planning on getting a BTB-675) Just want to explore my options here, no real brand preference other than Carvin and Ibanez.

HALP, forumz!

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Don't discount Schecter. Their bolt-neck basses have slimmer necks, while the set-neck or neckthru ones have beastly thick (but still incredibly comfy) necks.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
another vote for the ibanez SR505. pretty hard to find an electric bass that can do as much as that one can. it's very playable, made well, and the natural finish looks great as well.

it also has great features: bartolini pickups, onboard 3 band eq, and for someone like me who doesn't like wide string spacing on a bass, the 16.5mm string spacing is great as well. mine might not get much play time but it's great for when I want to use one

deevit

Reaction score
On that budget I would recommend getting a used bass for sure! Other than the basses mentioned above; Cort Artisan basses are great and I'm a big fan of Yamaha basses.

nephilymbass

Bobby Byford
Reaction score
around the 500 dollar range I'd go for an ESP LTD B5e. Its the best in that range I've played. Love the ebony fingerboards.

sun_of_nothing

King of the Strings
Reaction score
Brice basses are fairly good, you can find them at rondomusic.com. My friend just got one, and it plays really well and only had a $300 price tag.

jarrhead

Reaction score
Take a look at the Spector Legends, or, if you can fnid a used one under $1k, a Spector Euro or NS5CRFM

')