Whats a good, cheap mic for amateur vocal recording?

• Thread starter manana
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manana

Reaction score
Something under 100 dollars but something that doesnt sound too bad. Im willing to sacrifice money in exchange for a boxier sound etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manana

Reaction score
What about a Blue Microphones Encore 100i?

manana

Reaction score
Thanks. If I get the condenser, will I need a mic preamp or could I use my pod?

Hammy

Sevenstringer
Reaction score
I'd suggest a Shure SM-58 BETA(!). Try finding one used, or invest $20 more for a new one depending on your situation. I wouldn't bother with a hardware mic pre-amp, try some VST plugins first!

There's a lot of pro's saying that you'd have to buy a really really really good condenser if you'd want to beat the SM-58 BETA soundquality wise.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^Actually, it's called a Shure Beta58a. And I completely agree with this suggest UNLESS you don't have a warm, round tube preamp. Otherwise, run away. That mic is absolutely useless without one. :2c: Also, suggesting not to bother with a hardware preamp is a terrible suggestion. A good mic preamp will make MUCH more of a difference than a microphone.

I'm also not sure where you got that "pros" statement, a real pro would never compare a dynamic microphone with a condenser like that. At least none of the pros I've been trained by. ;)

Get a used AKG C1000. Might be a bit over your budget, but it can record literally EVERYTHING from high gain guitars to singing to hard vocals to acoustic guitars to ambient noise. It's a do-everything-very-well microphone. :yesway:

seesthend

Banned
Reaction score
Check Slampops earlier post:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...eres-how-make-portable-desktop-vox-booth.html

Its mostly about making a vocal booth for cheap - but further down the thread is a great example of utilizing a sm58 by taking the top off and some other creative techniques.

Also - I know you said $100 buuuuuut i've tried and tried to tell people about the Studio Projects C1 ......but it usually falls on deaf ears. It is a HUGE bang for the buck!

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I'd just spend the money on a decent used mic-pre. A good pre can make even a really bland sounding mic sound pretty good.

manana

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Now that I have many suggestions for microphones, what pre-amp do you recommend? Remember that I dont need "Pro" sounding stuff just something to get the job done medium-well.

manana

Reaction score
Sure man lets say i spend 70 on a mic. How about 100 hard limit on the pre but a preference for something around 60-70?

')