What's binding?

• Thread starter anarchistwar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the strings in the nut? Maybe a contract you signed? Maybe the glue you used on the model airplane you made before you posted.

Dude, be specific! :lol:

Reaction score
Im not a luthier but I know most guitars are made of parts or sections. A typical acoustic will have a back, sides and top. In between the parts, when assembled they use a binding, the usually white outlining around the body of a guitar. In some cases it's a plastic material, in many it's mixed with or completely abalone or mother of pearl or even wood inlays. Some bindings go all the way up both sides of neck, some only on the headstock etc...Mostly higher end axes will be fully bound.
Tony

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Maybe the strings in the nut? Maybe a contract you signed? Maybe the glue you used on the model airplane you made before you posted.

Dude, be specific! :lol:

Hell, could be his underwear for all we know... :eek:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
schecters.jpg

See the shiny stuff around the edges? That's binding.

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
Chris said:
schecters.jpg

:rofl:

Any fucking excuse Chris! How many times have you posted pics of the new addition to the family?

EDIT - Just noticed Scott beat me to it - Great Left handed minds think alike!

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Scott said:
Any excuse to post that pic eh? ;)

Sod off, Canuck.

Dormant said:
:rofl:

Any fucking excuse Chris! How many times have you posted pics of the new addition to the family?

EDIT - Just noticed Scott beat me to it - Great Left handed minds think alike!

Sod off, wanker.

I answered his question, didn't I? :fawk:

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
[action=Dormant] has adjusted his Custom User Title in honour of Chris's ability to swear at him using colloquial British slang terms. Chris now needs to try a few variations on the theme ...[/action]

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
[action=Chris]secretly wishes he was British, and doles you some eRep in light of your erm.. Britishitude.[/action]

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
Why the fuck would you want to be British??!!!!?? Believe me its pretty shit and every non-brit you meet thinks you're a condascending twat! (that might just be me though) :lol:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
schecters.jpg

Very nice group shot of the Schecters, Chris. The Hellraiser dominates them all. :cool:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Dormant said:
Why the fuck would you want to be British??!!!!?? Believe me its pretty shit and every non-brit you meet thinks you're a condascending twat! (that might just be me though) :lol:

I think the only people who would rather be british are canadian. I mean, they certainly don't seem to want to be american. jk :lol:

I'm guessing this forum doesn't have a program to mask certain words in posts, btw. :scratch:

Is binding true or false?

anarchistwar

Reaction score
sry about the vaguness, i meant on the neck of a guitar, like a binded neck???????

i hate forums that are hella strick about staying on topic, no personality.

and british swearing is awsome! i.e. Bloody hell! (you gotta get the accent though

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh in that case, binding is true.

It can help hold the frets in place, but in turn makes refretting a little more troublesome. It's usually plastic, but can be made of other materials, too. Why do you ask? Are you comparing guitars? Please let us in on the secret! :yesway:

')